PDA

View Full Version : Boat dilemma-To buy or not to buy

Poodroo
10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey there everyone. I have been a fisherman since out of nappies and have enjoyed boating with my brother for the past 15 years. An opportunity has come up for me to buy my first boat but only because the price is right. A friend who has a boat sitting in his yard and unused has offered me the boat on trailer for $900 all just out of rego. The boat and trailer are still in top condition and has safety gear and sounder included. It is a 15 foot fibreglass with a 40hp Johnson and a little 8hp johnson as a back up motor. The dilemma I have is whether or not it will have sufficient power to putter around the bay. I am thinking it may be under-powered but it is a good price. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. ;)

juicyfruit
10-01-2006, 09:03 PM
What u want for nothing ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Buy me the boat and i'll tell if its good enough ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, the motor will be powerful enough.
Even if the motor is shot, save for a new one if the boat and trailer is fine.

Do you have any pics of boat, trailer and motor?
How old is the motor? (year model)
Do you have any service records with the motor?

ETC

Juicy

Poodroo
10-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks Juicy. Buying a boat was something that was going to happen but didn't expect this one to jump at me. I am going to have a closer inspection on the weekend armed with a digital camera so I can post some pics. For that kind of money I guess I can't lose so I guess I am going to be the proud owner of a boat. :)

brett_rokesky
10-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey Poodroo for under a $1000 go for it.

I had a 16 ft half cab with a 50 hp on the back got me in and out of trouble.

Mate good luck with it, and remember that the best memories of something comes from your first one.

juicyfruit
10-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Sexciting stuff hey!!!!!!!

Can't give much advice on fibreglass, hope someone comes forward with some for you before you buy.

Might get better help if you post this under boating, or wait for it to get moved ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looking forward to the pics

Juicy

szopen
10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I suggest you look at Juicyfruit and Thumps thread abou how hard it was for them to get a boat going.

With the price you are asked to pay it does seem to be avery good deal.

The advice is to get somebody more experienced with them boats for a first few outings before attempting it yourself.

redspeckle
11-01-2006, 05:38 AM
Poodroo
IF was giong buy that boat I ditch the 8 hp off the back becuase it gets in the way of fishing,makes boat unbalance,might swing into the other motor, and so on for about $60 years can join VMRor Coastgaurd instead of having that 8hp on the back
You said the boat looks in top condtion has it had fresh coat of paint could be hiding a lot of bad things wrong with the boat
I be seening if the transom is flexing with the motor on the back and be checking under the floor for rot and the what condition stringers are in
Be getting the motor check out eg see what like compression test is like ,does it make any funny noise when put in to gear and unloaded its when was last service on motor
When was the wheel bearings last done all trailer lights working
I hope this helps you
Mitch

Hookem_Herby
11-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Agree with what has been said above, especially the extra motor. HOWEVER, not sure what you guys expect for $900?!?!? :o :-/ :P
Seems like a steal or at least a great deal but you know what they say ..... if it seems too good to be true, it most probably is!!!!! ;D Worst case scenario, it becomes a project boat. Either way, if the trailer, hull and outboard(s) are reasonable I don't think you can go too far wrong at under $1k.

Best of luck,
Herby

Fishin_Dan
11-01-2006, 08:00 AM
As long as you know what you are getting yourself in for, then I'd say go for it! The 40HP will be sufficient, but don't expect to get anywhere super fast! You will probably find you will get around 20Knots WOT (Estimated guess). I had a 40HP on a glass 14ft Cuddy Cab, and I got max 25knots.

The 2 major things I would check on the boat is:-

1) Transom - With the motor lifted right up, grab the bottom of the motor leg and try lifting/pulling/pushing it in all directions (one at a time). Watch to see if the transom "flexes" alot when you move the motor. The transom shouldn't really move at all. If it flexes a bit, chances are the transom is shot

2) Floor - Get into the boat, and check the floor completely. Pull out any carpet in the boat, and get down on the floor. Look for any cracking, holes, etc that will let water in underneath. Stand on every square inch of the floor and "bounce" a little bit. The floor should be completely solid. If it flexes at all (OR feels "soft"), then chances are you will need to replace the floor, stringers, cross members, etc.

Make sure you get the motor checked out by a qualified technician as well.

I'm not wanting to put you off, as I think it's good to have to fix up your first boat a bit... I've learnt more from rebuilding my boat, than I ever would've from just driving the thing! Plus I can set it up exactly how I want it!!!

In the end, it's your decision, and as long as you are happy, then go for it champ!

thumps
11-01-2006, 08:05 AM
A friend who has a boat sitting in his yard and unused has offered me the boat on trailer for $900

i guess you need to ask.....how good a friend he is too

sometimes these things can put a strain on friendship if the truth is withheld

other than that...if your up for some mods, and dont mind spending a few bucks on fixing things up

personally, i'd go for it...but then i like a challenge

just like last Saturday ;D

Wazza77
11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
You could always buy it and sell the 8hp motor if it is in a good condition, you would probably get about $400 to $500 for it if its not to old.

Theres half your money back for a start. It could be a great boat but you should be prepared if something goes wrong you might need to fix it.

Louis
11-01-2006, 10:21 AM
It certainly does sound like a very good price.

Louis

Poodroo
11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It is all very helpful. My brother has been a boatie for 15+ years and I know all of the things he has gone through. His misfortunes and experiences are good learning curves for me so this weekend when I check the boat out more thoroughly I will be sure to give it the once over. The motor is fully serviced apparently and in the 10 year old category. I guess for the money I can buy it and have some fun with it and even if the motor dies then it is a cheap hull that I can upgrade to around the 70 hp at a later stage. Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Poodroo

2iar
12-01-2006, 12:32 PM
As everyone else has says, it's a fantastic price. You could sell the 40hp tomorrow for more then that...

That's why I'd urge caution, unless your mate really has no idea what it's worth, it sounds too good to be true.

good luck,
Mike

oscar22
12-01-2006, 04:30 PM
If you don't buy it can I?

oscar22
12-01-2006, 10:52 PM
awesome

Poodroo
15-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Well a bit of a depressing anti-climax to this story and one that makes me seeth with anger. As it turns out the boat got sold out from under me when another mate of the boat's owner offered a sum of money more to what the boat was worth so I missed out. I guess the dilemma is solved for me for now.

Poodroo

young_315
15-01-2006, 06:48 PM
buy it mate. i love seeing mine sitting in the backyard when i come home from work every day of the week!