PDA

View Full Version : 450 quintrex

creeks4me
12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi there seriously thinking of buying a 450 quintrex topender,does anybody out there have one and what do u think.Is it to big and heavy for the creeks around mackay,only reason i want one is so i can venture wide on the good days as this hull is a dream in th rough stuff please tell me what u think!

Leo_N.
12-01-2006, 09:51 PM
I hope that I don't offend any Quintrex owners out there, but I wouldn't even considder buying a new one. They used to be a very solidly built hull, with great welds. Now they are mass-produced and in my opinion not up to offshore conditions unless you are handy with a welder. The hulls are shaped nicely to give you a good ride, but at the expense of strength.

craig308
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
i have a 4.5 #center console quintrex that i use in the murray
and i find it to be a good size for river work plus can use it
out side as well

URL=http://imageshack.us]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7427/quintrex5kb.jpg[/URL][img]

cheers craig

creeks4me
13-01-2006, 10:10 PM
thanks for your opinion leo, have u seen a few failures

mickstar001
14-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Not sure what its like at Mackay buddy but i have a 445 Quintrex Dory similar to a Top Ender i suppose - can sneak into shallow water with ease - havnt done much outside work but has handled well a couple of time when the winds have blown up a little. Probably no help to you but best of luck :D

nodjule
14-01-2006, 03:48 PM
No offence to you Leo either, but your comments on Quinnys is a load of horses$%t, I have owned 4 quintrex boats from small to large, if anything the workmanship has improved, great riding dry hulls and a pleasure to fish out of, My most recent purchase I was suprised how good the welding was, mind you a small boat manufacturer like Quintrex wouldn't have quality contol, so I guess I was lucky " NOT". I have six mates that all own large quinnys and they love them.

Any Quintrex owners out there not happy either with there boat performance or welds ??

gunna
14-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Any Quintrex owners out there not happy either with there boat performance or welds ??

Don't own one but I know where Leo is coming from. There have been a suprising number of very dis-satisfied quinny owners on the various forums over the past 2 years or so. One site had a thread that went for 100 odd replies with heaps of them recent unhappy quinny buyers. Too many bad stories for my liking.

serene_lady
16-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I have to agree with nodjule. I have owned 3 hornets in the past 8 years. The first was a 4.20 hull that i used to tie up beside my houseboat until a 50 ton trawler gave it a bump when trying to get on the slip beside where i am moored.Bent the gunnel in on the starbosrd side about 6 inches and still did not crack anything Anyway the owner bought me a new 4.35 hull and kept the old one for use on his trawler. I have since sold that hull and bought the latest model 4.35. I find these boats ideal in the sandy straight area of fraser iIs up the creeks and river and also handles the bay chop realy well. I have never had to have a weld repaired in any of them.I do get a box aluminium frame welded in to take a full floor and that may help to strengthen the hull but i think there strong enough anyway. I have a 40 hp tohatsu on the back so it has got a bit of power. I think it has a lot to do with the way you drive a boat also. bob.