PDA

View Full Version : installing bulkheads

familyman
15-01-2006, 04:42 PM
For the rebuilders here ;D
My half cab is developing stress cracks at each end of what you might call the dashboard.Watching this area when underway in a chop I can see the cab top flexing back and forth.
To alleviate this I am thinking of installing a bulkhead as there is no connection between the hull and deck except for the join at the edge of the deck.My plan woud have a full bulkhead from dash to floor on the drivers side and a thin bulkhead on the port side.
Anything to watch out for or should I not join the hull and deck and let them flex? :-?
cheers jon

Hagar
15-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Jon

I'll kick it off for you and say I don't see a problem doing this . Lots of hulls have the deck / dash moulding tied to the hull sides and floor in some way . I would shape the bulkheads and glass them both sides out of the boat first and then bond them in on a good bed of filler and glass the edges to the hull and floor . Far less mess this way . Use wide strips of glass where the bulkhead meets the hull to spread the load a bit . You will need an opening both sides for steering , elcctrics etc. Check out some other half cabs for ideas .

Just be aware it will be hard to blend in the finish coat of gelcoat or flowcoat to match the original hull and floor .

Chris

familyman
16-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Chris I had a look at a few haines's and some others and the deck is definitely bonded to the hull on all of them even if its only a short bulkhead at the foot of the bunk.So thats the way I'm going to go- more work,oh well,its all fun ;D
cheers jon