PDA

View Full Version : fresh water flush

casey
17-09-2001, 01:28 PM
hey fella`s
just wandering, i havn`t been able to flush the motor on my boat, i was last in the salt about 1 week ago, i know i should get some muffs but anyway ;), will this have any effect on the water pump or any other component, the motor is all but brand new(30hr). 40hp/4 stroke, evinrude ;D. thanks fella`s. catch ya..
casey

p.s.
its only been in the salt once..

Jim_Linden
21-09-2001, 03:17 AM
Casey,

You wanna get those muffs quick smart (surprised your 'Rude hasn't got an integral flushing port).

Flushing is a good habit to get into. Having said that, there are literally millions of outboard motors throughout the world that sit on the backs of boats at moorings, yacht auxiliaries, etc. that have never seen fresh water, and still manage to live happy and fulfilling lives.

One of the biggest dangers of not flushing (corrosion not being the big boogey-man it used to be with modern materials) is the build-up of hard salt deposits inside the motor. This can block small water passages, reduce the efficiency of the cooling jacket, and damage soft components like the water pump impeller.

Another often overlooked advantage of flushing is that it provides the opportunity to run the motor out of the water with you wandering around looking at it while it's running. Sometimes this allows you to notice things about the motor, or the way it's running, that you would not have noticed from inside the boat with the motor in the water.

It's not really much time or effort to look after a major investment, is it?

Regards
Jim Linden

casey
24-09-2001, 02:06 PM
hey jim,
i went out today to give the big girl a run, and yes i did see a hard build up of salt around the prop housing and the prop was momenterily stuck, you could feel it stick when i turned it, anyway i gave her a good run, and caught a couple of fish as well. lol.. catch ya.. ;D
casey

adrian
06-10-2001, 03:38 PM
if you don't get time to flush the motor out and you live near a impoundment that allows outboards then take your boat out on the dam (freshwater) . this about as good and also allows you to get an excuse to do a freshwater fishing trip as well :D
make sure of any permits that you may need . #

inspired
15-01-2006, 05:12 PM
join a club were you can pull your boat out of the water , wash and flush almost imiediantly thats what i do every time then trailer home back into car port unload then done

dfox
15-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Whats the go inspired? this post is bloody 4-5 years old?

2iar
16-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Perhaps he likes to fully consider his response, and suddenly became "Inspired" :D

Good luck,
Mike

MIKOS
16-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Mate if he hasnt flushed it by now There wouldnt be anything left except a pile of corrosion on the ground ;D ;D

Mike

bin_lookin
17-01-2006, 02:49 PM
myself i use a drum to flush my 60 yammie when iget home with a hose conection in the bottom of the drum when finished let the water go on the lawn we have water restrictions cheers binlookin