PDA

View Full Version : Fix for mysterious crack in hull??

cooky
04-12-2005, 06:35 PM
I went out for a social boat day today and noticed back at boat ramp this mark (few inches long) in fibreglass hull. Not sure what I hit, it could have been me driving on trailer??? Although everything seemed to go smoothly. I'm thinking this bit of the boat hull sticks down a bit and hitting the other side of trailer - maybe it tilted hull and it smacked on the metal between rollers. Not sure how it happened, but I assume being glass it is fixable.

I'm wondering if this is a job for the home handyman (me) or professionals if I want to fix it like it wasn't there. ANy idea how much something like this would take to fix???

cooky
04-12-2005, 06:36 PM
CLOSE-UP

seabug
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Cooky,

Looks like you may have flexed the glass underneath.

I would get it professionally repaired.

Regards
Seabug.

bungie
04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Ouch :o

Not what you want this close to Xmas :(

blaze
04-12-2005, 07:06 PM
that doesnt look good, I think you may find a failed bulkhead there (support structure). Have a very close look at the same spot on the other side of the boat in the same place. If it is a failed bulkhead the floor will have to be removed to repair it and any other weak spots. BIG $
sorry dont mean to scare ya but looking at that pic its not the external problem that you see, its the inside ya cant see. Sincerely hope I am wrong.
cheers
blaze

blaze
04-12-2005, 07:13 PM
second look, cant see any finer cracks going past the damaged area so maybe it is only gel coat damage.
get it checked out by a pro and then if its only superficial, easy fixed by a handyman.
sand smooth, removing all jaggered edges, get a little bit of flowcoat close to the color and then build up layer at a time, waiting for each to dry, then sand off with a bit of wet and dry about 240grit (use wet) and then finish off with a bit of 600 grit and polish
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
04-12-2005, 07:29 PM
yeah,

looks to be a trailer graunch :o

I would go with Blaze and fill with Gelcoate.. taker her for a run and keep an eye on it. If it's internal it will crack again..make sure ya bilge pump works ;D

Garry

troy
04-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Cooky it does not look good mate and it is not like a place where you have done damage while you are winching up or letting it down.
I would love to be able to help you but to me it is only guess work.
troy

mark221263
04-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Hard to say if it's just a superficial trailer scratch or something more substantial.

Check the inside 1st, #If there is any sign of internal damage get it looked at by a reputable boat builder/fibre glass repairer.

If there is no sign of and glass damage on the inside build up with either Gel coat (will take many coats).
Or get some gel coat putty which is much thicker and will fill up easier. Once the level is just below the other gel coat then use the gel coat.

As a tip, once you have the area filled put some duct tape over the applied gel coat or gel coat putty. Pierce with 1 or 2 small pin holes and hold a piece of flat timber or similar over the outside and force any excess gel coat and air out through the pin holes in the tape. This will help heaps in the amount of finish sanding you have to do. Leave to harden overnight and then fair back with 240 and then 800 grit wet and dry paper.

Sand by hand with water to stop the paper clogging followed by a polish with a good product like one of the 3m polishes or similar.

Best of luck
Mark

yockman
04-12-2005, 08:58 PM
That is a top tip about the duct tape. Will remember that one next time

Always_offshore
04-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Have to agree with blaze. Just a quick question, was wondering if its leeking inside?

cooky
04-12-2005, 09:52 PM
not sure if it's leaking inside. Unfortunately I had a large 20lt bottle of fresh water under the cushions up front spring a leak. So had a fair whack of water in the boat. Does seem to flex a few mm when you press on it with hand. I don't like the thought of it being the bulkhead.

Quick question - how long does wood rot take to destroy internal timbers if a potential problem? I know Northbank use Laminated Stringers - whatever that means.

Hull only 4/5 years old and Northbanks meant to be built like a brick sh*thouse, so I sincerely hope nothing internal.

cooky
04-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Cooky it does not look good mate and it is not like a place where you have done damage while you are winching up or letting it down.

wasn't winching Troy - drive on. Was using a different ramp today, with a steeper angle than usual and my mate drove my trailer in a fair bit further than I would usually like. Had a nice strong Northerly behind me - I didn't hit the trailer as well as I could have, but straightened up quick. I'm thinking with the steeper angle that as it's hit first with the left hand rollers it's tipped the right side down quickly and smacked between the rollers.

you can see the way the hull is designed it's not that difficult to hit these chines. Here's a photo to show that it's not hard to imagine it cracking between those rollers.

cooky
04-12-2005, 10:06 PM
whoops - had to delete double post.

Another question - is it usable if just a trailer smack? or have to get fixed before using again?

blaze
04-12-2005, 10:22 PM
my only thoughts on trailer damage is they normal show signs of foward or aft movement in the boat, in saying that, more horizontal scaring/damage in relation to the vertical. Also looks in a place a bulk head would go. Hope I'm wrong
cheers
blaze

SeaSaw
04-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Cooky, have to agree with the drive on causing the damage. It looks to be gel coat only. Just a little costemtic work will have it as good as new.

If there are any structural issues, you will find fine gel coat cracks on the hull running along where the bulkhead would join onto the hull. Can't see any of these in your picture but give it a good going over. If there are no cracks then it is likely only a cosmetic problem.

Cheers.

Mark

cooky
04-12-2005, 11:31 PM
you will find fine gel coat cracks on the hull running

thanks for that - not cracks in the gel coat. I'm hoping it was just a quick smack onto the steel of the roller and crack. I'm o'seas this week, so will have to get it looked at closer to christmas.

the only fine gel coat cracks I've found on the boat are on the left of the motor on the transom. I've been told nothing to worry about - here's a photo

Whats_a_fish
04-12-2005, 11:33 PM
If the area feels soft then go see a pro glasser as you got problems. Laminated timber is stroger but has several layers glued together so may failfastewhen it has been wet for a while.

seabug
04-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi Cooky,
Re the crack in gelcoat.
Sorry to see that ,bad luck.

The reason that I said it may have flexed is that the edges are very ragged.

To be like this I think would have had #to be caused by sharp indent over the area.
This is different to a scratch,chip or gouge which would leave a smooth edge on the gelcoat.

You say that area flexes a few mm.
It is impossible to know how far it flexed at moment of damage.And if there are any cracks of any kind then continued use without repair would see salt build-up in fibreglass structure.
This would not be good for integrity/safety of the hull.
Regards
Seabug

cooky
05-12-2005, 08:29 AM
thanks for the replies guys - I'll have to try and take it to someone today as I'm off to NZ tomorrow - that means I've got bugger all time before christmas break to get it fixed :-?if I leave it until I get back. GOt to find a decent glasser now. :-/

Will let you all know how I progress. How much I'm quoted, etc. Does anyone have any idea how much something like this should cost to fix? if it's just a crack in gel coat as per photo? I'd prefer it fixed by the time i get home

billfisher
05-12-2005, 08:48 AM
To me it looks like you have hit the metal cross section between the rollers when you drove on the trailer. If the underlying fiberglass is not too damaged all you need to do is fix the gel coat. As others have said you could do it yourself as it is a simple job.
I suggest if you are going to drive on it would be a good idea to put protective plastic strips over the metal. These are available from trailer accessory outlets. Also I have seen people zip tie clear plastic hose which has been cut down the middle.

aido
05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
try the old coin tap test around the damaged area,
that sometimes reveals hidden damage

Bosunsmate
05-12-2005, 03:49 PM
cooky,

go to goldfinders, jackson st in garbutt i think from memory.....other than that nuwave in pilkington st...

have a good trip lucky bugga,

regards
graeme

Mojo
05-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I would like to see it close up, but I suspect it is a manufacturing fault, that is an air bubble under the gelcoat because the first layer of glass wasn't rolled properly when the boat hull was laid up. If that is the case, easy to fix, follow Blase's instructions on the fix, except you would need to grind it out a bit with a die grinder, a bit like the dentist does before filling your teeth. How old is the boat, is there any manufacturers warranty left on the hull ? Hull warranty is usually transferable. Take a really close look at the glass in the middle of the damaged area, if the glass is shiney then it is a bubble from manufacture, if it is furry and the fibres are coming owards toward you then it could be a stress fracture of some sort, but I would be very surprised if that was so. Mojo

cooky
05-12-2005, 07:06 PM
boat 4/5 years old. I'll check the hull warranty. I think the boat manufacturer has changed owners in this time. So who knows - I'll have a look anyway.

I'm thinking the worst knowing my luck lately.. Just got home and tried to use my laptop - looked liek it had crashed. Wife said "i think the kids were playing with earlier". I won't repeat what I said to my wife when I noticed condensation on keyboard and then poured about half a glass of water when turned it on its side. :-? :-X :-/ :'(

Unfarking believable!!!!!!

Lucky I had my other laptop with me, but I'd say that's one laptop down - going to be an expensive christmas

onerabbit
23-12-2005, 01:36 AM
sorry to tell you, had timbers cut out & replaced in my seafarer march this year, cost $3000. muzz

blaze
23-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Just cost me about $2500 for matting, resin, flowcoat, woven roven and a couple of sheets of klegcell to do mine without labour.
Long time ago, lots of boats ago
I had a 17 footer and while coming along a part finished ramp the swell picked me up and sat the front of the boat on a piece of 1/2" reo sticking outa the concrete. My first thoughts were of this piece penetrating and tearing the hull. The damage was only a nasty scar in the gelcoat about a foot long.
The reason I mention this is that glass is incredably strong and I really dont think your problem has been caused by hitting any thing Cookie, I think if I was you I would get a second opinion as it would be nasty to get a call from your chosen repairer saying there was more damage over and above the quote
cheers
blaze

cooky
24-12-2005, 09:34 AM
he also mentioned a possible airbubble or something when they were building could have been the problem. and caused a weak spot.

It could have certainly had something to do with the trailer coming off my car a month or two ago and travelling down the road at 30km/h taking out a small palm tree or two - it was dark, so you never know - maybe that caused a small crack which flexed and cracked under harsh wave conditions - the way I drive believe me it wouldn't take much to find a weak spot :D- my friends refer to it as Extreme Sports.

I don't see how it can be anything like the timbers, because it's a few feet away from these areas and this guy seemed to know what he was looking for if this is the problem. He had a look at the inside and outside of the boat for any other signals of damage. He said that if it was bulkheads or similar the damage would be as Blaze described previously and around the bulkhead area.

My friend from GBRMPA reckons I cleaned up a turtle ;D

cooky
24-12-2005, 09:38 AM
sorry to tell you, had timbers cut out & replaced in my seafarer march this year, cost $3000. muzz

how old was your seafarer? and what caused you to get the timbers cut out?

cooky
24-12-2005, 09:40 AM
inside crack photo as promised

cooky
24-12-2005, 01:18 PM
i know it's marketing hype and all, but multiple reviews and people I've spoken to go on about how strong these Northbank boats are made. So I can't see it being structural after not even 300 hrs on water and 4/5yrs old.

Review on Boatpoint
SOLID BUILD
The 540C is an impressive craft. While there is nothing particularly new in its design, what has been done is far better than most.

For example, probably the standout feature of the 540 cuddy is its solid build. Its hull weight of 750kg is the same as some mass-produced boats a metre and a half longer.

In fact, everything is solid; from sidepockets to bulkheads and deck to hardware. It looks great too - the moulding is flawless and the gelcoat finish is up there with the best. And the walkthrough screen is a real walkthrough; not something along which you have to crab sideways.
HIGHS

Build quality - solid as!
Spacious walkthrough
Plenty of storage space
Room to fish over the stern
LOWS

Seats could be upgraded
No frills
Positioning of controls could be improved

BUILD QUALITY
The stand-out feature of the 600C is the way it is built. Like, solid as. Northbanks are built to survey standards, and can be built in survey for those who require that. For example, the bare boat weight is 1125kg approx, compared to most mass-produced boats of this size which usually come in at around 800–900kg.

Issue: July 2002

There's no denying that Jaan Lindsaar’s Northbank Marine builds strong boats. Boats that stand up to the discerning eye of an experienced boat buyer looking for their next vessel. A person who looks for different qualities in a boat, that are normally overlooked by newcomers to boating. An experienced buyer is often concerned with attributes like hull strength and thickness, ride quality and dryness, helm comfort and ease of anchoring, just to name a few. But what impresses me when talking with Jaan about his Northbank vessels is his passion for building strong boats that meet and exceed the expectations borne by experience.

cooky
14-01-2006, 10:30 PM
just wanted to complete this thread. Picked up the boat from fibreglasser and can't notice the repair from outside - can see new gel coat on inside, but hidden because in storage area.

$350 cash.

Am happy with the fix - he's beefed up the glass a bit on the inside. Haven't taken it out yet (busy few weeks) and not sure I'll have it out for the next month or so.

Here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

bin_lookin
17-01-2006, 03:27 PM
it needs to be sealed first before water has a chance to get into the glass sand the edges then fill with gelcoat and then take it out again cheers bin lookin

cooky
23-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Back from NZ and after coming back to work on Monday (trying to catch-up) I had a chance to take it to a fibreglasser yesterday. He's been glassing for over 20 years and even he said it was a bit of a mystery. It has cracked the glass all the way through. fortunately this area on the inside is easy to access (lifejacket storage area). It has fine cracks running about 6 inches each side running length ways of the boat (inside). He said the only way for it to crack like that is hitting something sharp and hard, but there is no real visible scratches or anything around area. He said it might have been from hitting trailer rollers driving boat up and that has caused some minor damage - hitting a few big waves might have finished it off. It's no where near a bulkhead. Almost mid way between in fact.

Anyway he's going to fix it for me next week between christmas and new years for around $300 (no more than $350). Said it will basically be good as new and won't even know it happened. He's also going to fix a about 4 to 5 gel coat damage areas on the keel. I'm pretty happy about that. Not so happy that it's $300 i could be spending on a new reel.

If anyone wants a photo of the crack on the inside for reference let me know and I'll add to the post.