PDA

View Full Version : Motor konking out - any ideas????

drevil
16-01-2006, 08:01 AM
A mate of mine bought an '80s vintage boat the other day and our two families took our 2 bouts out for a run yesterday.

The motor on Pete's boat is an old 115 Mec, probly also early to mid-80's. #He just spent about $900 on having it serviced and a new power unit, compression tested, etc, and everythiong looked OK. #But as soon it it gets hot, after about 15-20 minutes of running, it just stops. #Let it cool for half an hour and it goes again, until it gets hot.

It has a tell tale, but no horn or buzzer to indicate it was oveheating. #But there was no horn when you initially turn the key, so maybe that's not working either.

Any ideas????

Spaniard_King
16-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Sounds like vapor lock or an air leak.

Pressurise the fuel system as hard as ya can using the fuel bulb and fix any leaks

Garry

familyman
16-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Just had one of my coils replaced on my merc 115,was coughing and farting at high revs and was surging also and would only pull 3000rpm.May be the cause :(
cheers jon

QldKev
17-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I would check Spaniard_Kings idea first. If not while it is not running check for a spark; could also be the ignition module not contacting internally when its hot.

Cheech
17-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Steve,

Long time no post. How's the new boat going. The old Mustang is still going strong and it gets a fair bit of use.

Craig

drevil
17-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi Cheech

The boat's doing great, thanks. #Glad to hear the Mustang is serving you well too. #I know it's been just over a year now, but I keep checking all you posts to see how you and her are getting along and love to see your posts with pics. #It's funny how once you have a boat that you really like, it's sort of hard to let go. #It's like I sold you one of my kids, but it's great to see she went to a good home and is doing well. #

BTW, my freind called Mercury and they said it sounded like a faulty power unit so it's going back to the shop.

Oldyella
19-01-2006, 10:51 AM
A good contact for T.O.P il6 Mercs on the net is Clams Canino on the www.iboats.com merc forums. He rebuilds them for a living.