PDA

View Full Version : Southwind/Southern Cross ambassador/SR17

Alex9797
20-01-2006, 04:37 PM
First of all I would like to congratulate Ausfish and members for such a great site. Highly addictive though.

I would really appreciate any feedback from owners of the above boat. I am guessing that they are all the same(the boats not the owners). Iwill be mucking around in Moreton Bay, Peel Island ,Straddie etc and generaly go out with my wife and 2 small kids so safety and soft ride will be important. Unfortunatly I have height limitation of 2.1 mts to store the boat which leaves me with a choice of the southwind, coxcraft rumrunner or allison vision. Boating is such a bloody compromise.

Whilst this is not my first boat I would realy value the experience and opinions of others.

ta

Alex

longtail
20-01-2006, 04:58 PM
alex , welcome to the site mate yes it is VERY addictive ;D :D

regards to the boat question , you need to talk to SKIPPA , he has one. i have been deckie for him once and it seems to be a good stable ride.

hope this helps

cheers
jason

sf17fisherman
20-01-2006, 05:25 PM
well as a huge fan of southwinds (haven't riden in a southencross yet to know for sure) but i can tell you they are a very underestimated boat that can handle alot more than many other new boats can and are liken to the old haines by alot of reviwers ;)

skippa
20-01-2006, 09:09 PM
G'day Alex,

Mate welcome aboard (excuse the pun) and it sure can be addictive alright #::)

I've had many boats and the Southwind is the latest in my collection. The easiest decsription of mine is a cross between a Signature and Haines (of old). My last boat was a Haines V17R, which I still rate highly. The Southwind (SR17) rides better than the Haines, (might upset a few people here #::))

Yes Brett spray curtain are on the list, but I haven't drowned any phones yet #;D The DeepVee gives a soft ride and she planes at slightly slower speeds than my old Haines did, important in rough conditions. The southwind (shares the same hull as the newer Southern Cross boats) is beamer than the Haines and i found her to more stable at rest. She is a solid well built boat with a modern layout and has plenty of space for 5.34mt boat. I like the sporty lines and like the Haines' (and Signatures) hold their price well. Mine's matched with a 115 Yammie and returns about a mile per litre. She has a 100lt tank so I figure a good range of about 80 miles.

We use ours for fishing and general running around in the same areas you plan to as well as offshore. She's been up to the Whitsundays and performed beautifully around the Islands.

If pick #one up u won't be disappointed. Coupla pics attached

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)
PS we'll be on the water on Aust day if ya wanna catch up. #;)

skippa
20-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Inside boat.

skippa
20-01-2006, 09:36 PM
inside