PDA

View Full Version : Taking on water - how much is too much

catchy_fishy
20-01-2006, 06:06 AM
After a day on the water (2-3 hours as well) I remove the bung at the back of the engines to let any water taken on, drain out. THIS I BELIEVE TO BE GOOD PRACTISE - 'Sure' you might say.

I drained off 4 litres from the same bung after an extended 2 days of raining.

Would you be concerned ??

Catchy Fishy

Mad-One
20-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Should leave you bungs out until you are about to take your boat back out. You don't want water building up inside ya hull

finga64
20-01-2006, 08:05 AM
I think everybody will agree to leave the bungs out when ever the boat is out of the water.

I have also put in inspection ports in the front section of the deck to (a) keep a track of the condition under the deck and (b) allow a good air circulation to dry any moisture under the deck.

Did the water come from the deck or from below the deck??
If it's from above the deck get a bilge and if it's from below the deck look for a leak.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-01-2006, 08:32 AM
One inch of rain over 10ft squared gives 52 gallons of water. Leave the bungs out as others have said, fresh water is the boaties enemy! You don't need much rain to put a bloody lot of water into an uncovered, bunged up boat!

Cheers
Dave

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-01-2006, 08:33 AM
One inch of rain over 10ft squared gives 52 gallons of water. Leave the bungs out as others have said, fresh water is the boaties enemy! You don't need much rain to put a bloody lot of water into an uncovered, bunged up boat!

Cheers
Dave

catchy_fishy
21-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Very useful. Thanks for the info on the bung, and taking it out - glad I asked.

Finga:

The water is coming from below the deck - I've also got inspection hatches, but only aft, not up front. I'll keep it in my mind next time the boat goes in for it's service.

Thanks everyone.

Oh yes, and the covers are going up this weekend - should also help I suppose

Mike