PDA

View Full Version : Prop options...?

20-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Just want to aska question of you all as I would like an unbiased opinion, and not that of a salesperson...

I have a 4.1 Brooker with a 3cyl / 3carb Yam on the back. My beast is pictured below.

http://img236.echo.cx/img236/2303/img40zt.jpg

I am happy with the performance of this outboard on the back of my tub, but like anyone wouldnt mind a little more grunt / response from the donk strapped on the back of my boat if possible with a reasonable upgrade.

Now - other props? Stainless prop?

Do I have alternatives that are worth looking into?

Also - are there options available for electric trim and tilt, and even electric start (as my old man has bad wrists and struggles to manipulate the outboard).

What are the pros / cons etc?

Thanks in advance!

winston
20-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Dear 333000 I think the best method of identifying whether you need to change propellers is by means of a tacho. Your current prop should be pulling 5500 rpm at max revs with your usual load. More revs than this will require a prop with more pitch and vice versa. Stainless props are said to wrought increases in fuel economy and are for more durable. My last two boats were changed to stainless props and did produce noticeable improvements in performance. Solas has been excellent to deal with, when I fist used the prop on my CV40 Yammy it pulled 6000 rpm. A quick return to Solas for cupping reduced revs to 5500 (perfect) and six years of excellent service. I now have a Brooker safari 4.1 with CV30 yammy and will eventually install a stainless prop when I can justify the $400 . Cheers Winston.

New_fisher
21-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Can someone tell me what exactly cupping is? What improvements or changes does it make to the performance? Can you do it to both stainless and alloy props, and how much will I be looking at to get it done? Cheers Ray.

21-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Winston - Thanks for the reply!

Some more brain food for me...

21-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Winston - Thanks for the reply!

Some more brain food for me...