PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Top Ender vs Stacer Nomad

RayB
19-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi, new to the forum. I am looking at buying a fishing boat and I have narrowed it down to either the Quintrex Top Ender or Stacer Nomad. Both of these boats seem to provide good value for money. The fishing application will be primarily impoundments chasing Bass and Barra. Probably the 460 size but will go to the 480 if I need to. Trying to keep the cost down.

I am interested in all comments but I am not sure about the following issues,

- what motor would I need for the 460. I guess going to the maximum (60HP) would be best but I am interested in comments from owners of these boats with smaller motors.

- can I get a live fish well made for these boats. Both boats come with bait wells but not fish wells

- Is there much a difference in the handling and stability. Millenium Hull vs EVO Hull. They both claim to be the best.

cheers
RayB

Oldyella
19-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Firstly.. Where are you from ? I would guess QLD like me.. But you may or may not know that Stacer and Quintrex are made in the same plant here in Queensland by Telwater.
I own a new 460 Sunmaster sports so I am a bit biased towards the Stacers.
I have 50 ELPTO Mariner and It will push my boat to 30 knots in the Pumicestone Passage with 4 on board,and I think it has the right amount of power for what I want. (Some packages only have a 40hp)
Some things I learned : Make sure they set the boat up right on the trailer or the loader device wont work well. If you get a 2 stroke Merc or Mariner, keep an eye on the oil injection tank. They made a bad batch that leak oil.

RayB
19-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks RD805,

I live in the Northside of Brisbane and at the moment we primarily fish Somerset although looking to make some trips to Awonga once I have a decent boat.

Thanks for the info on Telwater, I did know they were made from the same factory although their hulls are obviously different. I guess both boats must have their pros and cons. My reading of other forum msgs and my own research shows that Stacer seems to throw in more options for the price but I don't want a thousand dollars saved now make me regret buying a slightly better boat later on.

RayB
19-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Also, whichever boat I buy will have a 4st engine as I want the capability of trolling and maybe I am old school but I am not convinced the eTec engines are up to it

Oldyella
19-01-2006, 02:36 PM
As far as handling goes, I can only comment on the EVO. Having owned a Fibreglass halfcab before this boat, the wave noise on the alloy hull is very loud and the ride is pretty hard against the wind and tide. It is, however very stable when anchored and responds well to sudden sharp turns at average speed. It is easy to launch and retreive both drive on and rope if the rails are set up just outside the ribs (rather than just inside) where you'll never get it on straight. The Stacers come with a Dunbier loader and the Quintrex has a Sealink loader trailer.
You will need the extra HP for the 4 stroke as they are not as torquey as the 2 strokes. If you go 4.8m and intend going offshore I think you may need a 75. I nearly bought an Etec and I have a lot of respect for Bombarier, but I too think it's still too soon to take the risk of new technology.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-01-2006, 09:17 PM
you are paying for a glossier boat with Quintrex. Things like side panelling & sport consoles etc - the millenium hull is better in short chop but severley reduces underdeck front storage.

There is lots of room for addittional underfloor tanks - I have a Stacer 475 Nomad. It is well balanced with a 50hp 2stroke on the tail - the guys that fitted it out did a 75hp (the max hp) on the same run & said it tended to tail walk & took longer to even out than the lighter lower hp engine.

I prefer the Stacers underdeck live bait tanks too .

Go for a four-stroke, you sit close to the engine. I am thinking of changing - but assess the weights of each - some use the same size blocks etc

chris

RayB
20-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Nice boat chris! Particularly like the bolt on rod holder on the stern. I'm easily pleased, I know!

Also good to hear that the 475 nomad operates well on a 50HP, it has me thinking whether it is necessary to go the max rated engine size. What is the top end speed of your boat????

You also mentioned about going for a 4st due to the close seating position of the driver. Is this a noise issue? Are modern 2st still noisy critters.

Ray

Oldyella
20-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Chris
Have you had any probs with the 2 stroke 50 such as a leaking oil injection tank (They made a bad batch that leaked) and also the pee-er continuously blocking due to the big diameter tube with small hole (Smart move) ?
These are not life threatening.. I know, but I have had to deal with these probs after 4 hrs.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
21-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Nice boat chris! Particularly like the bolt on rod holder on the stern. I'm easily pleased, I know!

its crap don't get one #:) too flimsy but the baitboard is good & its nice to have it removeable

Also good to hear that the 475 nomad operates well on a 50HP, it has me thinking whether it is necessary to go the max rated engine size. What is the top end speed of your boat????

25 - 30 kts - maxs at 5000 rpm or just over - most efficent at 4000 & about 22 kts

with your face in the wind I wouldn't like the discomfort of more speed

You also mentioned about going for a 4st due to the close seating position of the driver. Is this a noise issue? Are modern 2st still noisy critters.

Ray

noisey compared to 4s, but better than the old days. Its not so much an issue as a desire. They also have more fumes even with the best oils.

Chris
Have you had any probs with the 2 stroke 50 such as a leaking oil injection tank (They made a bad batch that leaked) and also the pee-er continuously blocking due to the big diameter tube with small hole (Smart move) ?
These are not life threatening.. I know, but #I have had to deal with these probs after 4 hrs.

No probs with oil - only problem was a faulty wiring loom (????) a series of wires moulded inside a rubber core that started to short due to a fracture/bubble inside the rubber (i think) & stopped the motor dead. Was completely fixed free of charge by Springwood Marine under warranty even though they didn't sell me the boat. I had not idea what the problem was after all the usual checks, she went from all systems go to nothing - I'm glad I wasn't on a bar.

Went to Springwood marine today - Quintrex make a CV version (customer version) #of boats that are a base model without the flash that you can select options for (at a price of course).

chris

ahoj
22-01-2006, 08:23 PM
I am amazed to see you mates still buying boats which need high horsepower motors and boats that need such power and fuel consumption
such boating will become prohitbitively expensive from now as fuel is likely to rise to 2$ p/l plus.. this year.. Many of us will no longer afford a pleasure boats of the past a tinny with 15 max 25 HP is a go. a days fishing and boating all day can cost a mighty 100$ plus a day plus transport...... and not considering insurance and maintenance... we all love boating and get a zing when our rigs perform fast but there is a alternative and we should all consider..... to minimize our costs and inrease our pleasures...

I can go fishing with my rig every day for a cost of 10$ combined with 6 hp yammy and mincota for mucking around achieving up to 14 kts speeds

RayB
23-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Interesting rig ahoj!

I think you might be right about the cost of fuel but I am struggling to imagine getting the misses and little ones onto your boat :)

Ray

Oldyella
23-01-2006, 12:01 PM
And forget about bringing a cat onboard to swing ;D ;D