PDA

View Full Version : Townsville Tinny - v-nose punt or deep v?

goddy100
24-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I have justed moved to Townville and looking to purchase a new boat. I lived inland and fished only in the gulf so was wondering if I should buy either the Seajay escape (4.35m) or another v-nose punt in the same size. I only ever really lure fish the rivers etc, but may want to go out further chasing mackeral or the like. Not interested in going out to the reef, have plenty of mates with reef boats acting as rain gauges in their backyards ;).
I like to fish out of v-nose punts for the stability, but concerned I will be limiting my fishing opportunites by going this way.

Help Please Townsville Fishos!

I know there are lots of you out there! :)

Goddy

thumps
24-01-2006, 04:14 PM
ideal boat for the rivers..and close inshore on good days

i would have a v nose any day.....(I live in Mackay)

troy
24-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I agree with Thumps you would restricted to creeks and rivers in the Townsville area so definately v nose and on a good day you could venture out further like Maggie Island and follow the coast along to other spots.
Troy

88fishframe
24-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Steer clear of the v-nose. Go the Escape. 8-)

I'm in Townsville. Call me on 0409 897926 if you want to talk further.

p.s. I've got a couple of boats and just sold my smaller one - a v-nose Savage and exchanged it for a small deep v. Much better .............

dicko1980
24-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I would go a Deep Vee mate, I had a 385 Quintrex Explorer for a couple of years but I found that it had some limitations that were difficult to live with in Townsville. If I were to only fish the Bohle or creeks such as Morrisey's it was ideal, but if you intended to venture across Cleveland Bay to Croccy or Alligator, you would get flogged and wet for the whole trip in most excursions that were in usual sloppy NQ conditions. The stability of the V- Nose was excellent in the creeks, but in my personal opinion I would consider trading a little of the stability for comfort and seagoing ability if you intend to travel across the bays to fish the creeks.

bushbeachboy
25-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Never had a punt so I can't comment about them. My last boat was a Sea Jay 4.35 SP. It was a really good creek boat and got me a little offshore when the weather wasn't too windy. If it blew up a bit while I was out there, it handled the sea fairly well and rode ok for a tinny. I found it was stable enough with 2 people standing on one side in a creek. Probably not as stable as a punt, but more than adequate. I often used it to go to Burdekin Rock and West Point from the Bohle. Had a 40hp 2 stroke Yammy, tiller, manual everything. It was a good match for the hull. It would scoot onto the plane quickly, and I was able to keep it on the plane down to a slow speed which made a rough bay crossing a bit shorter. I didn't add a foil to it or change the prop. It was fine as is. If I was to change anything about the setup it would be to add power trim, and probably spend a bit more to get a 4 stroke. So in answer to your question, go the 'deep vee' route. You'll still be able to access the creeks and rivers, and head into the blue a bit if the wind ever slows. You also have options to travel a bit (like to Lucinda) and visit the Palm Islands, or to go to Balgal (Rollingstone) or Saunders Beach for a quick trip to Rattlesnake. You would be unlikely to do that sort of stuff in a punt.
Cheers mate.

goddy100
25-01-2006, 11:06 AM
thanks for the replies, looks like I will be looking hard at the sejay escapes/castaways/territorys.
So many choices, now I have to decide, 4.15 or 4.35? :-?

troy
25-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Goody100
Sorry mate i misread yor post i was meaning to say not to go for the punt.
Troy

Tony_N
25-01-2006, 01:43 PM
So many choices, now I have to decide, 4.15 or 4.35? :-?

My guess is that the same people will encourage you to go the 4.35 for the same reasons that they thought the deep V was the best option.

88fishframe
25-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Troy,

That was a quick side-step mate !!

David ;)