PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Tilt/Trim to Mercury 85HP - Advice require

irishjim
24-01-2006, 11:38 AM
G'Day Guys

I have an 1980s (?) Mercury Blueband 85hp which can be a nuisance to manually adjust the trim, especially when trying to approach and tie up in a shallow edged lake (Lake Purumbete...VIC).

Is it feasible/financially economical to fit tilt/trim to this type of outboard motor....or is it better to buy a more up to date outboard.

If anyone has a tilt/trim for sale...let me know

Thanks - Jim

Oldyella
24-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Jim
It can be done Check www.iboats.com , but you need to find a donour motor with PTT which may be hard to find. I had a Blueband with no PTT and it was great in the bay but a pain in shallow water.
I made on of these ..http://www.mengo-ind.com/mtm_motortilter.html (Poor mans PTT ;D) which provides leverage to pull it up quickly when approaching the shallows.

Stevo25
24-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I looked into this about a year ago for my 40HP Yamaha.
Buying all the bits and peices from yamaha was going to cost way to much.

So i researched after market PTT units. The one all the forums were raving about was
the CMC Pt-130, rated for up to 130 HP.

I ordered one of these from states and never looked back, they are a bolt on unit,
so the PT-130 bolts onto your transom and the outboard bolts onto the PTT unit.

It gives your ourboard about 5 inches of setback which helps depending on your hull.

Anyway the cost was around $700 AUD delivered so it solved alot of problems for me and
my back.

Do a google search for PT-130 and you will get a heap of results.

Stevo 8-)

irishjim
25-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback....the lever seems to be a good temporary idea.

Steveo....The CMC PT-130 seems to be a very good option. Did you find it difficult to fit to transom, and then attach the outboard. Also, were the contol easy to fit.

I have an older 16' firbreglass half-cabin. I assume it would be OK for this

Thanks - Jim

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
25-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Jim

Today I picked up my boat (4.4m Savage Jabiru) after having an electric trim/tilt fitted to the 40hp Evinrude. It was a very expensive exercise. Total cost $1,960.40.

I thought long and hard about upgrading the whole outfit but just couldn't see my way clear at this stage. However, I am absolutely thrilled with the unit. It will save my back, my prop, by skeg, and will generally make things a hell of a lot easier - and therefore more enjoyable. No more busting my guts to lift that engine!!!!

Boating and fishing is a real passion to me so to me it was a couple of grand well spent. Some people wouldn't think twice about spending that sort of money on golf clubs etc.
I
f you can afford it, get someone who knows their stuff to fit whatever you choose. There is a bit of buggerising around with the electrics involved.

Cheers
Dave