PDA

View Full Version : Seafarer Viking - 115 Merc

bay_firey
21-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Ok the V17c is just not gonna happen.

I found today a Seafarer Viking 5.2 (17') with '99 115 Merc, both in absolutley mint condition.
There is an old Sounder, vhf radio, am/fm radio cassete, full nav lights, baitboard, canopy, rocket launcher, 60lt cruisetank in the transon, kill tank, dry storage under floor, plus all the abligatory safety gear

It has had a new transome and floor/stringers a couple of years ago, then painted with 2 pac.

The price is $14 500.00 which seems very good to me ???

Any feedback on this re price, for and against of the hull ??

bignick
21-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Good outfit by the sounds of it. Get the motor checked, of course. About the only thing I would look at doing would be fit un underfloor fuel tank up under the middle of the floor. I know in my V-Sea it changes the hanling of the boat markedly. You will get 110-125 litres up under the floor and the altered weight distribution (ie. more weight forward) will make it handle spot on. With all that fuel weight down low in the middle it will sit far more stable at rest. 115hp will push that rig along very nicely indeed and they handle pretty much any sea well. They are are good rig that hold their value well and are quite easy to sell if maintained well.

Cheers,
NICK.

steve_n
21-01-2006, 09:38 PM
My mate used one of these with a 90hp Jonno out from Bermagui for years and they are a top sea boat. If its in good nick, go for it. ;)
Steve

bigbrian47
22-01-2006, 08:41 AM
nicks spot on re theunderfloor tank i bought my viking 16yrs ago it had a 175jonno on it @ a fuel
tank built in under the well too much weight in the stern for a 17ftr
i had @ 130ltr stainless tank put under floor @ run a 90jonno on it and it's a a well balanced boat now
have also replaced all bulkheads/stringers/transom etc
they are a very good hull especially in a following sea i've been in some very rough water in it
@ never felt unsafe
cheers brian :) :)

bay_firey
22-01-2006, 09:35 AM
I will get some pics this afternoon

But having looked around the web I am thinking that it is a V-Sea not a viking ???

The owner man said viking and there is a stiker that says viking but it sure looks like a V-Sea

Does any body know if Seafarer have a web site, I can't seem to find anything

bigbrian47
22-01-2006, 09:51 AM
they look indentical the viking is bigger if it's 17ft it's a viking
cheers brian

bay_firey
22-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Cheers - thanks for that Brian

familyman
22-01-2006, 10:52 AM
The old v-sea's were 4.74m,the vikings are bigger but they do look similar.Sounds a good deal to me :D
cheers jon

baitchuka
22-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Big difference between 4.7 and 5.2. Both good boats but...davo.......

AaronF
22-01-2006, 01:00 PM
If it's a V-sea with 115hp you've got plenty of power maybe even a touch over powered. The V-sea is 15ft , the Viking 17ft. You need the fuel down the guts as 60lt with a 115hp won't get you far. Seafarer has a rep for building tough heavy offshore boats that handle beeter than theig lenght. Never had mine in anything (Viking) I didn't feel safe in but that's not to say you can take them out in anything. You can stack a lot of weight into these hulls and still have then handle well. I found them great (if a little wet) for all my offshore needs and managed fishing 5 comfortably offshore form the Viking (except for Wahoo hookups). Buy it if it looks good and the engine check out OK.

Aaron

bay_firey
22-01-2006, 03:34 PM
It is 5.2mt (17') so i guess it is a viking, thats what the sticker and the owner say.

The minister for war and finance is happy so I guess it will be a done deal

It was a bit hard to get pics but here are 2 that i got

http://www.mchap.com/pics/viking002sml.JPG

http://www.mchap.com/pics/viking003sml.JPG

bignick
22-01-2006, 03:37 PM
The Viking is a much bigger boat to look at. The cuddy is a touch bigger, if anything, but the deck space is huge. They are a nice safe boat, they have nice big high sides and, as stated, handle just about anything. I would say that, if fishing 5-up in a Viking, everybody would want to be nothing but the best of friends.

Cheers,
NICK.

familyman
22-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Mark I noticed the freshly painted trailer.Beware fresh paint can hide a multitude of sins so check it out before handing over your hard earned.
cheers jon

bay_firey
22-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Have had a good crawl over the trailer, tapping bashing checking, it is as solid as a rock

The rig is going in for a pre purchase check over to get a proffesional ( ;D :o ) opinion so all should be good

Figjamm
24-01-2006, 06:55 AM
Does any body know if Seafarer have a web site, I can't seem to find anything

http://www.seafarerboats.com/

--
Bev

bay_firey
25-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks Bev

Needmorerum
26-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey don't forget to put the feelers out when the weather settles down for a run around the Keppels.
I'm sure we can talk Newby and JD and maybe a couple of others into a day out up there.

Corry

rough_shag
26-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi Mark,just wanted to highly recommend the Seafarer Viking as a great boat all round.I recently bought one(mk2 Viking 5.5 mtr) after years of looking,asking,researching etc and can't recommend it enough as a safe soft handling rig-I am very happy with her indeed.The Seafarer factory are happy to answer any questions give 'em a ring on 0755316939(Gold Coast).By the way Seafarer actually place the fuel tank underfloor on the mk2 Viking-mine has a 160ltr aluminium tank fitted standard by the factory but they tell me there was also the option of a 130ltr tank .Anyway good luck with buying her.Cheers Jace. PS...mine has a Johnno 115 v4 fitted and the guy at the factory told me that this was the optimum weight/power/balance for the Viking.

bay_firey
26-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Corry
Will definately be up for that

Thanks fro the input shag, will have to look at a bigger option for fuel bit it will have to wait for a bit so that I can get the finances back in order.

Got the 60lt cruisetank and 2 x 24lt portables and I have a 20lt jerry can so will be able to achieve a pretty good range even if it is a but awkward for a while