PDA

View Full Version : ARVOUR 20,HAINES 650,OR CRUISE CR 625 OUTSI

luggo
21-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Had a mate come down to Brissy for a few days, he is after a new boat to fish out of Cairns . His main fishing is on the shelf about 50 miles out and sometimes has to face a bit of chop out and back ,he is looking for a boat around the 80 grand mark that will give a good ride, bunk for a kip and the fuel bill wont break the bank.
He came to specifically look at the Arvour 20, powered by an 85 hp inboard diesel, we had a demo run and have decided to look at other boats. The boats that fitted the bill were the Haines H 650 and the Cruise craft 625 out sider both with 150 hp 4 strokes on them. The cruise craft really looked good and was about 5 grand cheaper, however we did not have time to demo either of them.

Would any of the members have any info he could use to help make a choice between these two boats or perhaps suggest another boat to try .THANKS , lUGGO.

longtail
21-01-2006, 10:04 PM
didn't like the arvour??

matthill80
21-01-2006, 11:09 PM
mate there is a great looking 685 outsider for sale in ur price range in the classifieds section hard to get a better riding boat imo

cheers matt

youngfisho
21-01-2006, 11:30 PM
why not look at a plate alloy boat with maybe a deisel sterndrive. Am sure you could pick one up for around the 80k mark. you would get the fuel savings and the reliability that comes with a diesel motor as well as the long range performance. just a thought.

andrew

Lucky_Phill
22-01-2006, 09:56 AM
625 with a 150..... Long trips offshore........ me thinks a 175 - 200 would fit the bill better, although that size motor will do.

Both the Haines and the Cruisey are good boats for your purposes.

80k is not a lot of dollars if ya want new that size. But certainly you'll find something in the second hand market.

Spending that $'s you'd like a test drive or two.

Good luck with it.

Cheers Phill

luggo
22-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Longtail----- No not keen on the Arvour, seemed a bit of a rough ride, bit slow, and when you compare it to the other boats you dont get much in the Arvour.

Matthill 80----- 685 looks great but it is above his towing capacity.

Youngfisho---- Don,t know of any alloy boats with diesels under 7 metres, thats his size limit, I also think its too small for an inboard diesel.

Lucky Phill-----Yeah, he,s still deciding on motor. I think the 150 was 50kg lighter than the next size engine up, not sure.

Thanks for the input guys. Luggo.

youngfisho
22-01-2006, 11:50 PM
cairns custom craft. they may have something for you

andrew

trueblue
23-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Get him to go to Barry Dale Marine in Home Hill (South of Townsville) and get Barry to give him a test drive in his custom Dale 6.3. I know you said 7 m, but Dale's 6.3 also comes with a flooding pod on the back that turns it into a huuuge boat for a 6.3 nominal hull.

Very tough, takes serious seas, big reverse chines, industrially tough construction, custom hand built (no more than 3 being built in the shop at one time) 200+++ hp no problem, can do 40 + knots, still easily trailerable if towed by big 4x4.

Well worth a test drive if he can get down there for a look.

Escapee
23-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Luggo

I have a Cruise Craft 575 Outsider with a 140 hp 4 stroke. I bought it new in January 2003 so it has just had its third birthday. It is a fantastic boat and we have been very happy with it.

Most of our trips are offshore and it handles this type of fishing very well, which is hardly surprising as that's what the "outsider" models were designed to do. I would have put a 150 hp 4 stroke on it but at the time no manufacturer made a 150 hp 4 stroke. Having said that the 140 has been a great motor. If your mate is going for the 625 I would recommend a bigger motor, at least a 175.

Even the 575 is big enough to sleep in. Two of us (6 ft big blokes) can sleep in the v-bunks in the front of it. The 575 can also be towed behind a Commodore or Falcon fitted with a heavy duty tow pack. When we're not fishing it also doubles as a great family boat for a day out on the water.

If i could justify it I would have a 625 Outsider, but then you know the old saying, "it doesn't matter how big your boat is, you always want a bigger one". In reality the 575 has done everything i have asked it to do, or wanted it to do.

Escapee

Pedro
23-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Youngfisho---- Don,t know of any alloy boats with diesels under 7 metres, thats his size limit, I also think its too small for an inboard diesel.
I have just had a look at a 6.5m center cab platey built at Tully made by Mission Magic. I t was fitted with a 120hp diesel mercruiser sterndrive and the layout was exceptional and all reports I have heard of its peformance were glowing
Pedro

the_bomber
23-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi Luggo

I have a 685 outsider that I was seriously considering downsizing as garaging is an issue. I went for a look at a lot of boats (including cruisecraft, haines hunter, signature, seafarer etc) and was disappointed how expensive boats have become in a few short years.You could get a 625 outsider a couple of years ago for what you now pay for a 575 outsider.

What grabbed my eye was the new Haines 600 classic. A lot of deck space on a great hull and nicely finished. I personally would like a test run one with a 175 hp 4 stroke suzuki. I can't find a haines dealer who deals in suzuki yet. Second choice was a 625 explorer with the same donk but same problem. The suzuki is lighter than the likes of Honda and a 200 hp on the back is a lot of extra weight.

The Haines 600 seemed as good as the 650 but not as heavy to tow or power.

the_bomber
23-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I should have mentioned that bunking out is overrated. I have tons of room in my cabin and have barely used it. Sleeping on the deck is more comfortable in my opinion so deck space for fishing and kipping is a priority. The cabin is good for chucking the swags and other gear out of the way when not in use.

Cheers and enjoy the hunt for the new rig as it is one of the best parts of boating- looking for a new toy :)

mickey7
23-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Luggo,the Fisher 660 Maxi would be a good choice,check out the pictures in the post i have put up-Superb Fisher Maxi.

cheers mickey.

cooky
23-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Get him to go to Barry Dale Marine in Home Hill (South of Townsville) and get Barry to give him a test drive in his custom Dale 6.3. I know you said 7 m, but Dale's 6.3 also comes with a flooding pod on the back that turns it into a huuuge boat for a 6.3 nominal hull.

Dale boats always come with big wraps in NQ, particularly around Ayr / Home Hill. Built like Brick Sh*thouses. I hadn't heard of the 'flooding pod' - how does that work?

luggo
24-01-2006, 05:46 PM
The bomber---- I got a shock at the prices too, so glad a couple of years ago I saw a boat in gladstone that looked like a Southwind but had deeper sides , it was 7.3 metres long, the owner told me a pro had bought four hulls in from China and had one left, $7500, so I bought it and put a 90 suzi on it. Great fishing boat and cheap!

Bomber, we looked at the HH600 but I think it was the same price as the CC625 which had more cabin, he does stay out a bit overnite.

Thanks all for the input, my mate is now monitoring the site, should join, and I know this sort of unbiased feedback does help.

Luggo

trueblue
27-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Get him to go to Barry Dale Marine in Home Hill (South of Townsville) and get Barry to give him a test drive in his custom Dale 6.3. #I know you said 7 m, but Dale's 6.3 also comes with a flooding pod on the back that turns it into a huuuge boat for a 6.3 nominal hull.[/quote]

Dale boats always come with big wraps in NQ, particularly around Ayr / Home Hill. #Built like Brick Sh*thouses. #I hadn't heard of the 'flooding pod' - how does that work?[/quote]

The flooding pod is a pretty simple idea. It seems very similar to any other pod on the back of a boat, exceptit has flooding holes cut into it. It floods and makes the boat very stable at rest, but as soon as you take off again it empties out again.

walruss
27-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I have a H/H 650 Patriot and I would not go under a 200 hp motor. The hull of the Patriot and the Classic are almost the same (wider chines on the classic). Both are a fair lump of a hull - around the 1300kg mark and whilst they will plane and cruise easily in big water the extra power is very helpful. You never have to extend the motor to flat out,. It gives a great safety margin.
I have only been in a C/Craft 625 once. But given the weights are similar I would expect the same to happen.
Both are good boats.

revs57
27-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey Luggo,

I think Dave at Riptide is in process of building a 6.5-7 mtrish platey with the 1.7ltr turbo diesel mercruiser at least I know there was an enquirey when I was building mine before christmas. I talked to the Mercury guy that visited the workshop during the discussion. He reckoned the 1.7 would push a boat in the size your looking at real well and be very economical too boot...could be worth an inquirey. Cant fault my 6mt Riptide.

I know he built an 8mtr with a big yanmar inboard/outboard for a guy at Bowen a year or so ago

Check him out www.riptidealloyboats.com.au

Cheers

Rhys