PDA

View Full Version : What's the ideal height of a canopy for the tinny?

finga64
28-01-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm building a full length canopy for the tinny (3.75 edgetracker) and wondering what the ideal height would be??

I'm going to put a removeable section in the front so we can still use a caste net from the front deck.

Any suggestions...
pro's and cons for tall and short will be looked at.

Gutterplastic
28-01-2006, 09:42 AM
tall: pro's: more manouverability in boat with rods etc;.

tall: cons: more chance of it being ripped of buy wind. overhead structures, parking at home.

short: Pro's: less wind resistance, stealthier., parking easier. shade will be more centered on the boat.

short; cons: well less room, rods for fishing will need to be setup out the back.

Hoges
28-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm building a full length canopy for the tinny (3.75 edgetracker) and wondering what the ideal height would be??

I'm going to put a removeable section in the front so we can still use a caste net from the front deck.

A possible suggestion would be to make the front section able to be hinged to fold back when cast netting and whilst underway to lessen wind resistance. This could be locked in place with a simple latch or tie down.

“My granny gave up knitting after she read that it was dangerous to share needles”

finga64
28-01-2006, 09:58 AM
that's the one Hoges ;), good idea
It's going to have a wind relief half way down as well to lessen the wind buffeting problems.
The whole thing will fold down flat whilst travelling.

ahoj
28-01-2006, 12:59 PM
wouldn't 3 section Bimini do? around 260$

ahoj
28-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Finga

Just thought about devilish idea------------------------ make it 6 inches shorter then when your own height...when fully extended..... ;D ;D

Ahoj

Gutterplastic
28-01-2006, 01:38 PM
lol then change ya name to hunchback. :P

finga64
28-01-2006, 02:57 PM
or knoddy

The canopy is going to be like a targa with only 2 posts holding it up and when we're travelling on the road it will fold down fairly flat against the boat and a couple of straps can hold it down flat.

The only reason I ask the ideal height is if I make it 6 foot high from the floor then it would look and act just like a parasailer I thinks??. So 6" or so lower then my height doesn't sound so funny. And honestly how many people stand upright whilst fishing in a little tinny with seats in it. Casting is a different story. That's why the removeable/foldup section over the casting platform.

Might have to make a few different length posts and try them all I suppose

Sick of all the posts and straps on the canopy now. Can't get the rod out and caste.
And if I leave the canopy off I come back from fishing looking like a butternut pumpkin. And yes I slip, slop and slap.