PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an Auxiliary Outboard?

Pwoida
27-01-2006, 03:42 PM
As I'm starting to venture off shore a bit lately i'm trying to decide wether or not to get one and I haven't noticed too many boats with them so I thought I'd try and confirm that its the minority of boats with an auxiliary.

My main reason for wanting one is that I just don't want to have to hassle anyone to get me out of trouble unless I absolutely have to.

blaze
27-01-2006, 03:46 PM
yes i have, no rescue any where close to my normal fishing areas (when I go to St Helens there is but thats 350km away), so I like to maintain my indepenences and if I call for help I am bloody serius
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
27-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Pwoida,

I think if you maintain your boat as best you can and you have a problem, no one is going to be anoyed by you calling for assistance.

I think investing in a VMR membership is a wiser move than investing in an auxilary.

By the time you add up the cost of an Aux + its service you would be better off investing in a VMR unit $50-$60 a year.

Garry

Pwoida
27-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Garry,

I was under the impression that VMR charges even its associate members (at a reduced rate). If thats the case its still going to cost an arm to get back in from hutchies or tempest.

Peter.

revs57
27-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Pwoida,

If I was in Blazes turf I'd say yep I'm in 350ks before nearest help...a little too far for my likeing too. But up here we have a very good VMR system in SE Qld and there are usually heaps of boats out and about, I have a new Motor that is well maintained, epirb, 27meg and VHF for emergency

Don't plan to put an aux on at this stage anyway

cheers

Rhys

Owen
27-01-2006, 04:25 PM
I got a bracket for one when I got the boat.
I had an 8hp yammy at the time, but when I saw how arse heavy it was without the aux. I decided against fitting it.
I would like the peace of mind (of an aux.), but given where I go I think it's be more hassle than it's worth.

cheers

Owen

redspeckle
27-01-2006, 04:54 PM
If you thinking about getting a AUX motor make sure its the same brand becuse they all have different fuel connections on them
Because had one on my last boat 2 different brands it's always get in the road of fishing sometimes the main motor hit it because it come lose
and un-balance the boat if not set up right for rough weather and geting in and out of the boat
I agree with the above post's in joining VMR that what I did for this boat just keep main motor serviced and keep spare parts for it like new spark plugs and so on
Mitch
Have A nice Day :)

fishingrod
27-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Ive got a 5M Cruise Craft with 15hp aux.

Its great piece of mind knowing im inderpendant even if there is a VMR near by.

My previous boat was a 5M Quintrex c/console with twin 40hp's

Angla
27-01-2006, 11:16 PM
If you can't trust the main motor, don't go too far.

I had problems with the old motor on my first boat and always stayed close when testing it.

Fixed coil problems, choke relay and water pump problems, not to mention hydraulic problems and finally a loose ground connection on the motor.
Only ever required 1 x tow for 2Km back to Kawana ramp.

If it does not sound right then look for the problem and don't go to the banks with a problem if possible.

By the way I am running a 2004 model 135 Optimax and feel pretty confident with it as I know its full history

Angla

P.S. The VMR seems like a fair alternative for safety sake

P.P.S. I am not a financial member but if I was stung for $500.00 for a tow,
sure it hurts for a while but then the pain goes away

billfisher
28-01-2006, 07:40 AM
There is only one thing worse than breaking down many miles out to sea. Thats breaking down a few hundred yards away from the rocks or surf with an onshore wind. An auxillary is great peace of mind. Remember communications can fail too or the coastguard could be out rescuing someone else. You could be left with a long uncomfortable wait or worse.

ahoj
28-01-2006, 01:46 PM
350 km out at sea???? are you towing a petrol tanker behind you.... what size boat?

Ahoj

blaze
28-01-2006, 03:20 PM
hi ahoj
if you are commenting on my 350km
read it mate, didnt say 350km out to sea
said 350km away, there is a huge diffence
cheers
blaze

toymod
28-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Tell me about it your motor never seems to want to go when your about to hit something or run in shallow water :-/

Perfect every other time though :D

familyman
28-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Whether or not to get an aux comes down to confidence in your equipment.I have an old 115 merc which takes a bit to get going when cold but has never failed to start after a couple of cranks ,usually within 1-2 secs,when warm.If you are running an old motor then either take an aux or limit your travel if you are not confident in it.
cheers jon

rough_shag
28-01-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm new to boating but when I enquired at Bribie VMR they told me that a member is entitled to one(1) free tow per year.Cheers.Jace.