PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 9.9 flushing problem

Cresta57
26-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I've got an early 9.9D type Yamaha 2stroke on the tinnie and have to remove the planing kit to install the small fitting for flushing the motor. This is a pain in the arse at home and takes way to long at the boat ramp I've looked at cutting a small groove in the plastic blade which would allow me to screw the fitting in and also give enough room to slip a hose over the end. Question is would it be ok to leave the fitting in place permanently? Would it need a bung in the end to stop sand/etc being drawn in?

sf17fisherman
27-01-2006, 10:07 AM
not sure if this sutes but with smaller donks like this i find takeing them off and putting them on a trolly stand with a 44gal drum (cut to suit) with water it a better way to flush them ;)

billfisher
27-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Andrew Norton (Saltwater Fishing mag), advises against flushing in a drum with 2 strokes. He says that the oil that ends up in the water coats the cooling passages and ends up interfering with the cooling.
Though I might add that he has said a few things I don't agree with.

sf17fisherman
27-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Andrew Norton (Saltwater Fishing mag), advises against flushing in a drum with 2 strokes. He says that the oil that ends up in the water coats the cooling passages and ends upinterfering with the cooling.

i could see that happening if you used and reused the water often however if you change it every few time then it isn't a problem (just have a look at any marine dealers flush tank)

not that much oil comes out with the water nor much salt on a motor that size

even better than flushing in a tank however is to go to a dam and give it a good run and have a bass bash while your at it ;D

rodd
27-01-2006, 11:48 AM
got the same motor....just start the thing & point the hose up the water intake....easy as.

Angla
27-01-2006, 11:23 PM
How big would the bucket have to be ?

Thats the direction I would lean

I used to use a bin 400mm wide x 500mm high x 600mm long for a 115 HP evinrude 1979 model. It was a bit clumsy but surely you could find something smaller.

Angla

ahoj
28-01-2006, 01:55 PM
what is wrong with earmuffs?

Ahoj

stevedemon
28-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi creasta57 save time flush in a drum or for that size motor a large garbage can if your worried about the cooling system clogging with oil run some degreaser an white vingar in the tank then refill tank an place some coolant in tank this will keep your motor and impella in good an clean condition as i have a 115hp yamaha 89 for the last 4yrs an before that an 85hp evinrude 80s both 2 stroke and have flushed them this way all the time an with no problems with either motor it is the same as a friend has a 9.9 johno 80s an has flushed his the same way as i do and has found that it keeps motor cleaner an can always check his impella for proper water flow hope this helps

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Cresta57
28-01-2006, 07:05 PM
what is wrong with earmuffs?

Ahoj

The pick up is underneath the gearbox on the 9.9, rabbit ears/muffs are useless for that type of engine.
Thanks for the tips guys I have a drum I use for flushing but the mrs isn't keen on having it under the house full of water with kids about. I bought the fitting and had hoped to leave it in situ so I could flush the motor while still at the boat ramp.
I've tried the hose pointed up the intake a few times but the water only trickles out of the teltale and that was a worry