PDA

View Full Version : A few blaze updates (waiting for flowcoat to dry

blaze
21-01-2006, 01:09 PM
this has gotta be a paitance mans job, I get very frustrated waiting for things to dry. Any one think there was more than 24 hours in a day (wish I could find the buggers sometimes)
This pic is of the top deck painted and fared in, back from CH marine yesterday

blaze
21-01-2006, 01:10 PM
the red haze that is all over the white is from sanding the outside

blaze
21-01-2006, 01:13 PM
more flowcoat to go here, also the lid needs to be made for the fish box, made a start on the cover (got the hinges and the stainless deck pull ring)

blaze
21-01-2006, 01:14 PM
this is where the rest dust come from

blaze
21-01-2006, 01:17 PM
thought I would go with a white deck as its easy to keep clean, not sure now as there is a good reflexion off it, make for a good sunburn. Might give the floor a coat of light grey (thinking to ones self, maybe not as I NEED to go fishing)
cheers
blaze

youngfisho
21-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Blaze,

id be inclined to use that non stick fleck paint and just go ape with it all over the inner floor and sides. That way it will be non stick and cut the glare down as well. Of all of the boats Ive been in painted white with this finish they seem to be less taxing on the eyes. If your unsure of what I mean I will try find a photog.

andrew

revs57
21-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Looking good Blaze...i reckon you're a champ for tackling the job but it looks like you are coming up with a great result...Hows the time line?

Rhys

finga64
21-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Don't know of young fisho is talking about the spider web stuff or the proper speckle fleck paint. But be careful of the speckle fleck paint. It says to seal with a clear. Why don't know, maybe because it finishes with a too a rough of a surface.
I have just neutral grey 2-pak paint inside 'junior' and it's not too bad glare wise and a treat to wash.
Looking good Blaze ;)

blaze
21-01-2006, 01:46 PM
andrew
they use a slatter gun (them guns that put the under body sound deader on with, got one) not sure I want that finish though.
I am going to roll in the nonskid grit in the walk areas with my last coat of flow coat.

Rhys
not sure of time line but with all good intentions I would like it to be in the water next weekend, that will basicly be 2 months and at the start I said probably 3 months hoping for a lot less.
still waiting for stuff to dry as its 30 degrees and I been going easy on the catalyst so I have more work time
cheers
blaze

Mad-One
21-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Great job Blaze. You can come to sunny Qld and do mine(F0ee holiday ;D ;D) Only joking the boat is a credit to ya.

Phil (ex n/w Tassie )

gavsgonefishing
21-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Gee Blaze 2-3 months totackle a major job like that, its a great effort. You must live and breathe the stuff.

I'd like to see your keyboard if your on the puter in between coats ;D

blaze
21-01-2006, 02:55 PM
key board not tooo bad, the boss (wife) keeps a close eye one me

Figjamm
21-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Great job Blaze. You can come to sunny Qld and do mine(Free holiday ;D ;D)

And ours while you're up here ;)

Looks good blaze :)

blaze
22-01-2006, 08:10 PM
bit of a what seemed like a waste of time this weekend,
flowcoat not drying properly (played around with catayst mix, maybe too lean)
fitted vhf, 27 meg, radio, all ariels, nav lights, cabin lights, (basicly done all the wiring except hooking power lead to batteries and wiring in the 2 batteries), fitted helm and steering ram, run hyd lines.
now wisky oclock
cheers
blaze

Figjamm
22-01-2006, 08:15 PM
fitted vhf, 27 meg, radio, all ariels, nav lights, cabin lights, (basicly done all the wiring except hooking power lead to batteries and wiring in the 2 batteries), fitted helm and steering ram, run hyd lines.

Ross says "Lucky bugger" :) :)

Heath
23-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Did you make your seat boxes?

catchy_fishy
23-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Great job - earns my respect. It might be painful doing the grey coat, but I would - I suffer from galre terribly. Also the colour scheme will work with the red. Can match up cushions etc, with it quite well for a good finished look.

Well done. Ar eyou gonna send a post of everything you went through when it's all over ?

Bosunsmate
23-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Looking great Blaze, I have that white and blue fleck finniinsh inside mine and the glare is just as bad.....always come home with a burnt underside from the reflection.

If I had the opportunity I would be repainting battleship grey and putting the grit grip down the middle for traction.

blaze
23-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Heath
I made the seat boxes out of Klegcell , rounded front corners by putting 9 x 3mm cuts about 9mm deep in 12 mm klegcell and rolling the radius onto a ply top and bottom with bracing between the sheets to hold it all in place (need to put one 450g mat over the outside first to stop splitting, learn by mistakes), then it was glassed as much as I could inside and out, then removed bottom ply and frame, fitted backs, then glassed into boat.
Catchy Fish
probably put it all up onto myproject.com
bosumsmate
I think I may go with the light grey and leave the inside kill box and the sump and seatboxs white
cheers
blaze

bidkev
23-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Good going Balze. Yeah, the white's a real killer in the Whittley.......gonna have to put some ruibber mats down methinks.

kev

Contemplating suicide? Drink French polish. Horrible death, beautiful finish

Relaxed
23-01-2006, 02:33 PM
G'day Blaze,

Great job, a lot of work and pride going into the project.

Only rub back the flow coat when the wind is blowing from the East, as it is making its way all along the Coast and the wife is complaining about the pink washing ;D.

Keep up the good work Andy.

DALEPRICE
23-01-2006, 04:52 PM
blaze, all thats left to do is drag her up to 1770
for the next m&g.....................]
lookin good,
dale

blaze
23-01-2006, 06:43 PM
spoke to the minister of finaces Dale and sugest I may go to queensland again BUT with boat repairs blowin out (like they do) my niece (who I named my boat after) coming over from melboune for her first holiday on that very week and a trip later on to SA to do some house renos for my sister the answer was a very strong no, I think october/november will look more promising (I am coming back)
cheers
blaze

Dignity
24-01-2006, 06:33 PM
great job blaze, hope the flowcoat eventually went off, have done much the same, a little too lean on the catalyst and wait days for it to go off - any way of getting it go off quicker?

sam

blaze
24-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I amhoping that by putting more wax (there is a chemical name for it, cant recall.) in the flow coat that will help. the info I have sussed out is because I am down to the last few inches in a 21kg drum it may not have been stirred well enough or the wax may have evaperated.
Today I spat the dummy and picked up 2kg of dark grey, add the extra wax (pobably not needed but not taking the risk) and redid the floor and come up trumps, couple of little lumps that will need a sand and a touch up but happier today. Once I am 110% on the floor I will mask out and redo the white adding xtra wax.
getting closer
cheers
blaze

dynamicspot
24-01-2006, 09:09 PM
great work blaze and thanks for the info on props

cheers

greg

blaze
26-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Well I put a top coat on the outsside yesterday, looked a treat and then when I was about to put thesecond coat on a lot (6 on one side and 2 on the other) star light cracks appeared toward the rear upper sides (now where near any thing that was damaged in the wave accident) appears at some time its had a couple of heavy blows from inside the boat. (hopefully all ground out and repaired now)
cheers
blaze

troy
26-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Blaze can you feel a 4xxxx coming on .
First class work mate i certainly would not have the brains or the ability to undertake a job like yours.
Good luck when you launch her just watch out for that turtle ;).
Troy

cooky
26-01-2006, 08:41 PM
quick question Blaze. I've been following your posts and thoroughly enjoying them. I know little about fibreglassing or boat building, but am interested to know if your hull will be lighter or heavier than previous and does it matter? If for instance it was heavier, would it improve or hinder the ride quality?

blaze
26-01-2006, 09:02 PM
getting happier
all the painting is finished
only glassing work to go is the lid for the kill box (ahray)
before it goes for a swim
2 bolts to go in aux motor
2 bolts in each side bow rail
leads to run to second battery
latch to lock cabin door
gunnel rubber to go on
fill up and bleed steering (and hope it works)
final flow coat to kill box

this is just as much a note to ones-self as much as it is to tell others how I am going cause between ausfish and the boat I dont know where I come up with the time to sleep

weather forcast for saturday is crap but maybe they are 24 hours out as the a*se just fell outa the barometer

blaze
27-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Cooky
In reply to your million dollar question, I think it will be heavier. I have put in about 300kg's but have no idea what I took out. If heavier I believe the ride will revert back to the nice soft ride I had before, you maywell then ask why no better. The helm postion, along with the cab has been moved foward 500mm, so now it is in the front half of the boat and not the rear half and we all know that the best and smoothest ride is at the back. I am hoping the weight has not been increased dramaticlly as I will then be on the hunt for a few more hp
cheers
blaze

Dignity
30-01-2006, 07:19 PM
bin watching with interest,be great to see the photos when finished - best of luck and hope it brings you all the joy you've been working towards

sam