PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a BA XR6 Turbo?

boatboy50
29-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey Guys,

Seriously considering buying one of these vehicles.

I am told it is only rated to tow 1600kg, yet the standard XT is rated to over 2.0T.

Does anyone tow with one and how well does it cope?

I will be looking to tow between 1.0-2.0 Tonne.

The car has IRS and Traction Control so I would have thought it would be good?

I saw an XT with a 18ft Four Winns (about 1.6T?) today dragging it's arse low under the weight. Would this happen with the XR6?

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences?

Regards

Darren

dugong
29-01-2006, 07:19 PM
i went throught this exersise a cpl of yrs ago and was looking at holden or ford for towing.
you have to follow the manufactures spec's most manuals are listed at 1600kg its the auto's that are rated at around the 2 ton mark.
check fords web site for towing spec's and any upgrades for towing.
cheers

scotty
30-01-2006, 02:29 AM
as a ford fan this qeustion intrest me .... dont ever get your towing setup done by the ford.... a wagon can tow more than a sedan ....xr6 turbo very nice cars but wouldnt you wont to keep as a showy car or sumthin i hate to see such a beuetiful car get rust from the saltwater
juast my thoughts

cheers

scotty

Argle
30-01-2006, 12:42 PM
The problem with the XR6T is actually the wheels and tyres, the load rating for them only allows for a 1600kg towing capacity.
Heaps of grunt and the drivetrain is very strong but towing is probably not its strong point due to low profile rubber not being designed for carrying heavy loads but more for high speed 8-)

Cheers and beers

ShaneJ
30-01-2006, 01:47 PM
The biggest problem with the XR6T and towing is the drive train! The transmission will just not handle the extra weight when you starting making boost under heavy load.
Example: You are at an intersection, you see a break in traffic and you floor the power pedal. With the extra weight on the back the engine is under more load which in turn builds boost much quicker. The sudden increase in boost will cause things in the transmission to start slipping, fluid to start burning and then eventually the car will cease to move.
Apart from that you wont have any problems. Just get a transmission cooler fitted inline with the factory cooler and be careful how you drive.

Camo
30-01-2006, 04:59 PM
The arse will drag especially with the lower XR suspension. I have a BA Fairmont Ghia which has lower suspension than the XT, but not quiet as low as the XR and it's arse is real low when towing my 6 mtr tinny. I've got the heavy duty towing pack on it which can tow 2200kg, and the car has no problem with the weight. I even towed a mates outsider 685 with it. It didn't like it, but it still managed to tow it. It's just the low suspension that gives me the sh***. The owners manual say when you tow you have to keep the transmission in performance mode, which means that 4th gear doesn't engage until some ridiculous speed, which means you burn a lot juice. I don't know what it is but the transmission it just doesn't feel strong. I've got a feeling that if I keep the car much longer I might be up for a new transmission. I've just about talked the misses into letting me get Crewman Cross 8 ;)

Camo

Tal
30-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Camo is spot on, i know jack all about boats and towing, but i know a lil about cars, and the XR6 Turbo just about hits the ar$e on the ground by stomping it (as most american and aus h/powered cars seem to do), and thats without towing anything, itl pull it, i think the strain on a car like that would trash your diff, box though in a much shorter period and ul be going through uni's like theres no tomorow, just my thoughts anyways, best off checking with perhaps an independant mechanic?? if you do end up getting it, perhaps pay abit more and upgrade your brakes, if its an auto, you dont want brake fade cruisen down a big range :) and ul deffinetly hav to mess with the suspension, maybe even to the point where it wont feel like a sports car with the trailer off. just my thoughts anyways, goodluk with it :)

boatboy50
30-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Hey Guys,

Checked with my local Ford dealer today.

He assured me the turbo CAN be fitted with the 2300kg Tow Pack.

He also said that the cars come standard with a transmission cooler, so this option would not be required.

He is the man who will be repairing if it goes wrong, and I triple checked with him after the previous posts.

Thanks

Darren

trackka
30-01-2006, 08:11 PM
boatboy, I have a xr6 BA ute,I tow a skeeter bass boat with it and it handles it like a dream, I have a heavy duty tow bar on it, If you read the car manual, you must use the manual gear shift when towing heavy loads. I still use the cruise control but when you come to a hill just flick it into third gear so you dont labour the motor. You will love it, great fuel economy too! cheers Track

Cheech
30-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Daren, I have a standard AU falcon that I use to tow my glass boat that is 1600kg (boat and trailer). It tows it fairly well. Better than I expected it to. I don't have that arse end dropping as it appears the xr's do.

I have the same thing with the extra cooling, but I can just tell that it is not happy at such a load, but that is just bad luck, it has to put up with it. The jump up to the xr from the standard 6 is probably all you wound need to make it all happy again, so if you can sort the bottoming issue the other guys are talking about, the power and the weight of the car will do a good job for you.

Besides, what is the alternative if you want a sedan. I would go for it.

Cheech