PDA

View Full Version : Boat Polish

parmz
15-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I was wondering if anybody knows were i can get some Poli Glow paint polish as it is very good for keeping your boat looking like new

Blackened
15-01-2006, 06:46 PM
G'day parmz.
If you're after poliglow, check their website. But if you're adament this will keep your boat looking new then..... so be it. I'm a detailer and wont touch the stuff. It's a masking agent and my understanding is, it's extremely similar in chemical makeup to concrete sealer. If you want your rig looking new, keep it washed with a wash n wax...... apply by hand with some foam applicator pads some meguiars one step cleaner and wax evry 6 months. A QUALITY wax is all thats needed. The biggest killer of gelcoat is UV raise. Get the boat in the shade all the time and cover it as any glare will do similar damage.
Dave

cooky
16-01-2006, 10:57 AM
The biggest killer of gelcoat is UV raise
a detailer - excellent - you may be able to help me. I've been trying to protect dark blue stripes on the topside of the hull for 12 months - trying different products. Last weekend I tried the International brand and I've tried 3m and meguirs before that. The international claims to have teflon in the wax - so I've given it a go. Unfortunately I am unable to store boat undercover as boat is stored on nature strip under a tarp (not quite long enough). Even after a few days (1 to 2 weeks) the blue areas will start to look a bit spotted and lose shine on the bow area (really facing upwards to the sun).

This internation stuff is going well so far, but I don't expect to get too many more weeks from it. I'm in Townsvill, NQ so our sun is a wee bit warm and damaging ;)

If I get a bigger heavy duty tarp - will that be good enough protection?

We talk about protecting trailer boats from sun, but what about all the glass boats in the marina? how do they protect them? they're in the sun and elements all the time.

Blackened
17-01-2006, 08:56 AM
G'day cooky
In response to your tarp query... if it keeps the sun off the boat then it's going to be a good thing. Darker colours in gelcoat are the worst. Mainly becaue they retain the heat. Personally i'd love to see some of those dark blue mustang and riv hulls in 10 years time. About the boats in the marina... thats a perfect place to go and checkout how non maintenance affects your boat.
Dave

stingermuz
18-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Blackened,

Is your advice for keeping a boat looking like new for a new boat or old, faded one? I've tried polishes and waxes and was researching products like poliglo when i found this thread (and it's current! 8-)).

The deck sections of my boat are discoloured won't hold their shine for long. (Kept in the shade).

Here's a sample of what I've found...

http://www.poliglow.co.uk/poliglow_products/practical_sailer.htm

I know it's old (1998) but it doesn't seem that bad.

I'm assuming that having a close chemical composition to concrete sealer is bad IYO?

Thanks,

Muz.

Blackened
19-01-2006, 12:18 PM
G'day Muz
In regards to poliglow.... personally i'm not a fan, and many detailers i know arent fans either. For a gelcoat surface to be restored... it MUST be cut back to remove the oxidation first, then sealed with a polish and then wax. Poliglow is directly applied to a surface... acting like a masking agent. This to me doesnt get to the problem..... wich is the oxidation. Muz, to answer your question.... Just keep the wax up to it. Start with the acid wash, follow by a cut and polish and then wax. Keep the wax layers right up to it. If you're washing the boat with anything other than a wash and wax... you're not helping. Things like CT18 will strip wax and so will some other washes. All in all, keep the wax layers up, every (2-3 months for a premium looking hull) and wash with a good quality wash and wax. I hope this has answered your questions.
Dave

Manjilad
25-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Blackend,
Good comments. I can not find a Fiberglass Wash and wax. So I assume you use auto wash and wax? Is this correct? What brand wash & wax do you use?
TIA
Cheers
Ps I currently use a little dishwashing liquid to boat wash but it soon strips the wax. I use 3M wax & clean polish (excellent) to clean tough spots (mackeral blood seems to stick wel eh!!!! :-)) and Septone fine wax (excellent also) for quality waxing.

Blackened
25-01-2006, 06:34 PM
G'day
As for the wash and wax..... i use pro-mas maxi shine. Do a google as they have independant distributors. Try and refrane from using dishwasher detergent... as it will render your previous work, pointless. As for the brands, i believe both 3M and mequiars you cannot go past, as for septone.... not a fan of their polishes/waxes at all. Hope this helps.
Dave

lippa
30-01-2006, 11:31 PM
for the best quality waxes you can't go past swisoll its distribited by classic car waxes, you just can't go past it but its bloody expensive keith will give you great run down on the products and how to use them. i run a duco repair buisness so i got a fair idea what protects and what doesn't. blackened is 100% corect in what he says cut, polish, wax. use the good stuff and keep up to it. cheers, lippa