PDA

View Full Version : fairing an aluminium boat with bog before paint.

Aaron_Fogarty
16-01-2006, 11:47 PM
G'day lads, just gvot the 5m open boat back with a 800mm full transom and center console. However where the side sheets have been joined it will need a smeer of filler to look like one piece. Has anyone had any experience with bogging the side of a boat? what bog should I buy and are there any tips for the beginner.

Cheers
Aaron

blaze
17-01-2006, 05:57 AM
auto repair shop for the filler
when faring in you will need to start 100mm at least either side of the join, apply with a applicator, when dry feather your outa edges first and then with a big flat hand sander (300mm long by 50mm wide) sand the joint down.
cheers
blaze

finga64
17-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Gidday, do as Blaze suggests but make the joint as wide as possible and use a reinforced bog. Some of them have fibre strands (I have used glass strand before) in the bog the help with the strength.
Keep the thickness of the bog to a minimum as well.

revs57
17-01-2006, 07:48 AM
G'day Aaron,

Like Finga said keep the bog to a minimum and allow for a few coats of a hi build filler primer to pull it up that bit you need before paint...it all adds to bringing the suface up...

cheers

Rhys

P.S. Blaze thought your expertise was limited to fiberglass ;)...by the way, how is the refirb going? any updated piccies?

baitchuka
17-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Gidday Aaron, make sure you give the affected area a good rub with 60-80 grit paper to realy key the filler in, and make it stick.
CHEERS DAVO........

Seahorse
17-01-2006, 08:03 PM
just use 2k auto bog. it will do fine. then epoxy or etch prime

Aaron_Fogarty
18-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks lads

Should have the project back by the end of the week, when its done I will post a before and after photo of the joined transom. Just a quick rehash.

1. rough up surface using 60 80 out to100mm either side of join
2. use a quality fibre filler/bog and build up slowly
3. feather edges first then using a flat pad 300x50 bring the join down just below flat.
4. apply a filler primer to get the surface totally flat.
5. acid etch the remaining bare aluminium
6. etch prime bare ally
7. light sand where needed with fine paper
8. 2 coats of 2 pac apoxy.
9. bolt the motor back on and catch some fish.

Hows that sound lads?
what paint do you recommend?
should I acid etch before bog?

Cheers
Aaron

revs57
18-01-2006, 07:11 AM
If Seahorse doesn't post...pm him the Question Aaron..he deals in the stuff...I used Hi Chem on the Rip Tide looks really good...its an industrial 2 Pac...the only addition to the list for me would be to apply some 2 pac hi build primer filler over the bogged aread before top coat so you can minimise the amount of bog and get a real good smooth surface...check Greg about that too

look forward to the result

cheers

Rhys

Mr__Bean
18-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Hello Aaron,

Just one thing to add, before you look to put any bog in to the join first ensure you have filed/ground/sanded all the aluminium high spots off.

Put a striaght edge across the join and run it up and down the length of the join to find any high spots, I used a steel rule as you can flex it a bit to maintain the skin profile at the area, it also leaves small scratches on the high spots so you can see them to grind down.

Do this first and your sanding of the bog becomes much easier.

- Darren

P.S. I also used the steel rule to to fair the wet bog after putting it on the join, a 300mm rule gives you 150mm fair each side of the join and is much easier to work over that width than the standard plasticator.

Territory_Tim
18-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Bro, you will need a really good bog for that boat of yours.
It will be the only thing holding it together.
That, and the paint.

Seahorse
18-01-2006, 08:45 PM
aaron.
if u need any gear give me a ring. 0411643128. i would use auto 2 pac. i put it on my tinnie. looks great.the brand is hichem. its good shit at right price

cheers
greg

Aaron_Fogarty
18-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks lads for all the advice I'll look into the Hichem paint. Greg what filler do you recommend? I heard with the industrial paints they lose their high gloss after a while..oxidization maybe?? A mate of mine who is a painter also recommended an automotive paint. Darren that steel ruler sounds on the money for me, saves chasing the high and low spots. And last of all THANK YOU BIG TIM for your insightful, constructive and intellectual advice.

Take care Lads

Aaron

nodjule
19-01-2006, 07:31 AM
I,m with big Tim the blow up man, don't waste any more money on that bathtub of yours and buy a real boat. :) :)

lippa
30-01-2006, 11:49 PM
use a two pack polyurethane most are industrial grade and hold the shine very well, i painted a tinny six years ago in dupont ful-thane and it still looks good, stay away from paints that are isocyante free. they are crap and will fry up bad if u ever need to touch it up, hope this helps, lippa