PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex ?

PeterT
23-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I have just parted with my quintrex 445 hornet trophy wildfisher. My son bought it from me and I sold it in good faith as being as good as any other Quinnie.

He has since had to have a split in the hull at the keel welded up and several fractured welds on seat post sockets and ribs. I am not impressed at all. This boat had done about 400 hours with a yammie 4stroke 60. The boat never showed signs of a leaking hull when I had it and I suspect that the truck trip from Darwin to Bris had something to do with it, but the boat should be sturdy enough to take a trip like that. I have since spoken to several hornet owners who have also suffered split hulls and they say that it is the way quintrex join the sheets at the keel.

From the start I was unimpressed with quintrex quality control. The minnkota would not work when I got it home after a 10 hour drive to pick up my dream boat. Problem? The power lead had been wired to the wrong terminals on the socket. It would never have worked and yet the dealer swore black and blue that they had tested it and it worked. Not a seroious problem and I fixed it in a jiffy, but the service guys should have tested to see that it operated like they claimed they had during 'the water test'.

The live well and bait tank had not had the drain hoses run to the transom ports. This meant that when you pulled the plug, the contentents of the wells discharged into the hull. The sales and service guys insisted that it was designed that way and there was no problem. Quintrex eventually fixed the problem under warranty, but the dealer who did the job (not the one who sold me the boat) left the floatation in the rod locker, lost all the screws to the floor, and when I went back and told them to fix the floatation and missing screws, removed screws from various other parts of the boat to replace those missing. Later I found that the hose clamps had not been done up sufficiently and the drain lines and some of the water delivery lines were leaking, causing a huge amount of water to flow from the bungs every time I pulled her out, requiring me to finish their job.

The wiring under the dash could be described in no other way other than a dog's breakfast. It was a major operation to change a fuse. If you have ever tried to get your head and shoulders under the console and fiddle around with those stupid glass inline fuses while in a 2m swell you would know what I am talking about. For $50 more they could have put in a decent switch panel with fusses accesable.

The Johnson pumps; live weel, bait tank and bilge, that come standard with Quinnies are a joke. The shafts are nickle platted steel and corrode after only a short time. I went through 4 before I figured out they were crap and replaced them with Rule pumps and had no further problems.

The marine ply flooring is just not up to Oz conditions and I would suggest anyone contemplating buying any boat to go for an aluminium deck. I have aluminum on my new boat and it was no extra in price, doesn't warp or rot #and is far lighter than ply.

The console is screwed to the ply floor. This is sloppy and means that vibration is constrantly working the screws lose. Far better to weld in a square of aluminium checker plate as an integral part of the hull structure and fix the console to this.

Some of the above are Quintrex problems and some are dealer preparation problems. But ultimately they are all Quintrex problems. Most became evident when I was living down south and fishing the Murray river and coastal estuaries of Vic and NSW. It is a myth that it is tougher up in the top end. What? is the water harder? waves rougher, chop choppier? The rocks of the murray are just as hard as rocks in the rivers here, the chop on the lakes and esuaries is the same. What does it tell you about the suitability of a boat if it can't stand being trailered over rough roads. Hullo this is Australia where governments take pride in how rough the roads are.

I have since bought a custom built plate bottom 5m boat that is as solid as a rock, has all the extras that i specified and cost me around the same as a comparable sized quintrex top ender.

In short, if you are the type of boater who only takes your boat out once a month and only on smooth water or a serious boater who just loves to constantly repair bits and pieces of your pride and joy as it dissintigrates before your eyes, buy a package deal boat from the big manufacturers. They are just not suited to serious fishing hours in Australian conditions.

If you are serious -get a custom boat. In the long run they are heaps cheaper.

pete

toymod
23-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow that dosnt sound good....have heard alot of bad things about the new quini's, its a shame as they had such a good name.

But what do you do, it seems that just about no one gives a sH#t anymore putting everything in the to hard basket and what are you going to do about it (I think they prey on the nice people).

Have had very similar experience from a big marine place down the coast.........once they have your money its stuff you :'(

Its a real shame that a lot of the buisness are traking this way.........what ever happened to the old "big country" town Brissie, where we treated everyone like mates :-/

I think thats why once you find a great place stick to it and spread the word......we want them to stay in buisness ;D

finga64
23-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I take it that you'll be going to Col's open day :)

Leo_N.
23-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Also note that Quintrex owns Stacer boats (or at least they are now both owned by the same parent company). If you look at the evolution of these two boat companies over time you will notice that they have become very similar........'nuff said.

Camo
23-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Pete, what did you end up buying to replace it?

Camo

Owen
23-01-2006, 05:01 PM
A lot of the problems you have described are dealer delivery/setup issues.
Therefore you would have had the same problem (from the same dealer) had you purchased any other brand of boat.

Quintrex boats are mass produced. As with any mass produced boat, they are;
1: Made to conform to the requirements of the mythical "average" boater in order to have as few models appeal to the greatest market.
2: Manufactured using materials and methods that ensure that they reach the market within a certain price range.

I have been the the Quintrex plant on many occasions and I can assure you they use very good technology in their hull design & manufacture.
That said, you will very often get a boat from a small manufacturer that has better features in many areas simply because they
a: Manufacture each boat as basically a one off, so they can include all the stuff YOU want without much difference in labour costs.
b: Many operate at low profit margins for their manufacturing, have lower overheads, lower or no advertising, no dealer network to add to the cost etc etc.

As an example, I'd shudder to think what Quintrex would be paying in payroll tax each year!

I own a Quintrex boat (4.55 Escape).
The quality of the welds is not as good as what I would do myself ( I spent a lot of years welding aluminium), but it is certainly structurally sound enough and aesthetically of a quality that I would expect from a mass produced boat.
It is rare for a WELD to crack on an aluminum boat. Usually the PARENT METAL cracks just beside the weld. This is due to flexing and the fact that the young's modulus on aluminium (i.e. the number of times you can flex it before it cracks) is low as compared to say steel.
There can be any number of reasons why the metal started to flex including
1: Bad design (i.e not enough stiffening via chines, ribs etc)
2: The operator has pounded the shit out of the boat & bent the hull supports away from the hull
3: Incorrect temper or grade or even thickness of material (I have had a lot of metal show up from the mills that was out of spec)
4: overheating of the metal (during welding) which anneals it and reduces its rigidity.

So all that rant is the long way to say that;
As with all things, the buyer needs to study the specifications, talk to other boaties, talk to other manufacturers and try to make an informed choice as to whether a specific model from a specific manufacturer will suit their own specific needs.
In my business I (my company) deal(s) with about 5 or 6 boat manufacturers in SE QLD.
I've seen up close how most of them are made.
I bought the quinny because it was good enough for my purposes and fitted my price range.
If money was no object I definately would have gone elsewhere.

cheers,

Owen

Glen.m
23-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Peter T,

I also had some dramas early on with Quintrex. I pulled my floor up after 12 months and about 180 Hrs to check for damage etc... Found 21 broken welds. I got on to the factory production foreman who took my problem on and organised all the repairs. They also added extra ribs and gusseted the supports for extra strength.. The question beggs, Why not build them a bit stronger in the first place so that they can live up to the hype and BS they spruke. I am sure there is enough profit margin in it.

Glen

HarryO
23-01-2006, 08:53 PM
And add more magnesium to the alloy to make it
softer and more malleable so it can be stretched and
pressed into wonderfully marketable shapes. ;)

MickS
23-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Have owned a Stacer for a couple of months, so far so good, the boat goes well.Have spent alot of money on boat repairs, maintaince etc in the past(could tell you some horror stories), this is the first new boat I have purchased, and my first power boat.

The thing I really like, 3 year warranty on everything.

The boat also really suits my current needs and budget.Good boat to cut my teeth on.

I believe the boats are quite popular when it comes to re sale as well.

No complaints so far.

Sportfish_5
23-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Where's Ron ::) :-X

dave22
24-01-2006, 09:19 AM
To put it in a nutshell for QUINTREX, ( AND YES I KNOW YOU READ THESE FORUMS ) when you get as

big as you are, you don't give a rats arse if someone bags your product after unfortunately buying it,

because you know theirs another sap right around the corner ready to fork out his hard earned, and

I only hope that all the smaller builders don't lose sight of that fact when they get bigger and you by

your own greed and shortcuts find your market share dropping at an alarming rate as you

yourselves ( QUINTREX ) have the worst name name because you DONT TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS

WITH RESPECT AND ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS RIP YOUR CUSTOMERS OFF.

PS hows the push into the States going, my bet would be absolutely woeful !

Oldyella
24-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a Stacer (Different hull) so I would say different structural properties. Don't know it they are better or worse, but so far so good. The point is, that there are a shiploads of Quintex boats around, and it's like the holiday road toll. Of course more accidents will occur with 50 times more cars on the road. You won't hear of problems with a boat from Websters because you only ever see them once a year. They may be better built due to less made and higher price. The customer service issue is something else. You need to support customers or you will go out of business fast.
BTW You never really know who is posting here and what thier motives are. Peter T may be 100% correct, or a rival dealer/mfr throwing some mud. ;) After all he is a new member.

JewseeTHAT
24-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Name: PeterT

Born to Fish - Forced to Work
0.02 Posts per day

Position: Ausfish New Member
Date Registered: Oct 27th, 2004, 4:07pm
453 Days since joining

If he's here as a stooge to bag out a rival he certainly took his sweet time doing it. Quality over quantity, I reckon.

sf17fisherman
24-01-2006, 12:24 PM
To put it in a nutshell for QUINTREX, #( AND YES I KNOW YOU READ THESE FORUMS ) #when you get as

big as you are, you don't give a rats arse if someone bags your product after unfortunately buying it,

because you know theirs another sap right around the corner ready to fork out his hard earned, #and

I only hope that all the smaller builders don't lose sight of that fact when they get bigger and you by

your own greed and shortcuts find your market share dropping at an alarming rate as you #

yourselves ( QUINTREX ) have the worst name name because you DONT TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS

WITH RESPECT AND ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS RIP YOUR CUSTOMERS OFF. #

PS #hows the push into the States going, #my bet would be absolutely woeful !

i did have a problem with my explorer hull when i got it with about 2inch of weld missing on the chine however that said i had the dramas with the dealer where he told me straight that i will need to wait two mounth for him to clear his work untill he could even look at the boat he sold me less than a week before this is after he told me on the phone to drive the hour and a half to see him so he can sort it out

well after the drive home and some choosie words to the dealer i rang telwater (stacer and quintrex) and informed then of what happend and they were only too pleased to get someone in my loacal area to do the work for me and cop the bill

so i belive they do still care about the coustomers but the qulity still needs more work

good to see however that many of the boats are comeing out with alloy core hatches and few other things that they have refined after haveing problems

PeterT
24-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Wake up Rd805. Don't be one of thos blokes who have to find some way of casting doubt on peoples valid experience and opinions just because you own one of the products in question.

I DON"T WORK FOR, OR HAVE ANY AFFILIATION TO ANY DEALER AND OR MANUFACTURER

If my experiences with quintrex don't coincide with yours perhaps it is because I have used my boat more often than you do.

Just because my experiences don't coincide with yours dosen't make me a suspect and a liar, no matter how long or how many posts I have put up.

Maybe its you who are the quintrex/telwater stooge here.

nodjule
24-01-2006, 07:46 PM
....YAWN.......

Barrymundi
24-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I have owned 2 Hornets.

I stuffed one hull through ABUSE by ME

I would buy another one tomorrow.

Al

megafish71
24-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Where's Ron #::) :-X

Im here, but no comment :-X :-X :-X ( I am really biting my tongue here ) I can really feel your pain.

Steven78
24-01-2006, 11:24 PM
I love my qunnie holds up very well i ha must of been lucky :-?

Oldyella
25-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I think it's possible that there may have been some operator error somewhere along the way. Maybe a few rocks or a bad "Drive on" experience #:'( There are some real cowboys out there. :o
I wouldn't go to the extreme of paying twice the money for a glorified tinny only 500mm longer with no canopy coz it's "Custom made". Custom made to me sounds like "Experimental" and I'd rather stick with the basic mass produced boat and stay away from rocks.

Roo
25-01-2006, 02:41 PM
RD805,
are you poking the wasps nest or do you genuinly think cowboys have boats. I thought they were all into manloving in the hills ;D ;D

or is that just in the movies ;)

Roo
25-01-2006, 02:42 PM
i'm sorry.......i couldn't help myself.

PeterT
25-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Your a real joker Rd, aren't ya. Couldn't be the fault of the dodgy brothers could it? No, because that would mean that your product is suspect .

My new boat is not "experimental" it is tried and tue and the manufacturers have a good name in NT. NT Fisheries would not be using an experimental boat.

Hitting rocks would show damage, there was no visible external sign of damage and several weld failures. Read other posts and other topics related to Quinntrex boats and one can see a common theme. Do you think that they would repair boats that fail within the warranty period if it was driver error.

Some people just can't accept an honest account of what has occured. I was always happy with the hornet's performance, that is not the issue, the issue is that the boat has had structural failures under normal boating circumstances that should have been within the capacity of the craft to take. After 30 years boating experience, with an above average time spent on water and not your once a year boater that these boats must be made for, I think that I am well qualified to offer the observations tendered.

You make a fool of your self by thinking that a boat is not worth twice as much because it is only 500mm longer. The two boats are like comparing a VW to a Land cruiser. How can you compare a plate boat to one made of tinfoil?

If the GS boats are experimental, why are Haines selling them in Qld? Why are GS expanding operations and building boats in China?

Whats the no canopy crap? My new boat has an excellent bimini made of much stonger aluminium than the one on the hornet, and you can actually stand up under it.

Real confrontational and insulting type of bloke you are mate, Ive met heaps of people like you, a know all who knows nuthin.

Oldyella
25-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Post retracted by Author

PeterT
25-01-2006, 03:22 PM
What ever #::) and thanks. You made me realise why I don't frequent these sites. Too many confrontational know all idiots just waiting to heap shit. Must have a pretty boring little life.

nodjule
25-01-2006, 07:39 PM
In short, if you are the type of boater who only takes your boat out once a month and only on smooth water or a serious boater who just loves to constantly repair bits and pieces of your pride and joy as it dissintigrates before your eyes, buy a package deal boat from the big manufacturers. They are just not suited to serious fishing hours in Australian conditions.

If you are serious -get a custom boat. In the long run they are heaps cheaper.

pete

In short, utter dribble.

It has got me stuffed how you can make an informed judgement comparing two completly different hulls considering, the quintrex you owned was just an small estuary punt that YOU like every other territorian has skull dragged the poor aluminium hull down every shit dirt road that Darwin has to offer, from that shithole road to Dundee and leaders creek just to name a few, what do you honestly expect from a aluminium hull. Do me a favour and tow your new boat everywhere you towed the Quintrex for a couple of years and we will see how well it has stood the test of time. I bet you wont put it on a dirt road for the fear of damaging it.

Please dont jump on here bad mouthing a particular brand of boat when you have only owned a single model from a particular company, from what I can gather from your post the quinny held up rather well for the conditions I am sure you put it through.

If you are happy to fork out $38,000 to tow around dirt roads chasing the old northern carp good luck to you, I will be out on the reefs sitting in my 6 metre quinny thinking what a lovely safe great riding DRY hull I am sitting in.

#To many backyard boys building boats in the NT for me, but thats another story........

Streetkid
26-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I bought my quintrex in 2003 and couldn't fault it then or now after plenty of use, my brother bought the exact same boat a year later and it was nothing short of dodgy and a far inferior product to the one I got. My point is from two boats bought in a short time frame you are going to get to very different opinions on what they are like. My brothers bad experience may be one of a few or one of many, any product is is always going to have people for and against it and on an open forum such as this one you will never get an even cross section of opinions from both groups. If an individual wishes to give a manufacturer a blast then go for it, as a reader you should be able to make up your own mind whether you pay any attention to it or not.

billfisher
27-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Well, I've had two Quinnies and never had a single problem with them. I have spoken to a few aluminium welders about different brands and they mention a few that keep coming in for repairs. Quintrex is not one of them. I get the impression that they ahead of a lot of other pressed tinnies in terms of quality. Remember that they sell a lot of boats, so even if a small fraction of 1% have problems this adds up to quite a few boats. Ie I think its more a perception thing.
Its not very fair comparing them to custom plate boats either. Its a different method of construction. You might as well compare them to the Polycrafts or fiberglass boats. No chance of cracked welds there!

PeterT
27-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Nodjule, another creative reader. Where does it say it has been to Leaders or Dundee?. It doesn't does it. In fact the boat spent 2 of its years doing exactly what you said it is designed for; putting along on the Minnkota lure casting estuaries and rivers, in this case in NSW and Vic. It was used for estuaries and rivers up here with occasional forays to Lee point reef system which is only .5 k off lee point and accessed from Nightcliff ramp with fully sealed access.

The boat ramp at Dinah beach is about 3 minutes from my place over perfect conditioned sealed city roads. The other ramp I use is Buffalo creek which also has a fully sealed road of a journey of 15 minutes. Once it went to leaders and the road was so wet we crawled at 10 k no stress here. Many times I am told that these boats can't stand rough roads well what use are they then in oz apart from the weekend forays on the upper hawksbury?

YOU in bold as you are putting it is quite offensive nodule and YOU are making gross generalisations to justify your arguement.

Fact is that my boat had 450 hours of the type of use that you yourself state must be the type of kid glove treatment that must be observed if you own a quintrex. The diintegration of my faith in quintex and its dealers began (and fact is that one is an extension of the other by fact of both parties entering into contract to push the product onto the public) the minute I got the boat home as you can see in my post, through poor preparation by the dealer. Fact is that this boat was my pride and joy. Don't get me wrong, I think that the hornet concept is fantastic. Thought that a boat built by arguably the best factory boat builder in Oz would shand up to what I and other blokes I fish with see as acceptable standard of use.

The Funny that the Yamaha motor is as good as the day I bought the boat and has given not a skerrik of trouble and yet the boat is splitting etc.

I had a savage punt that saw me wear out 3 motors and is still being used today after 30 years of being dragged from one end of the country to the other, in fresh and salt, scraping gravel bars, oyster leases, and through the chop of inland alpine lakes.

IN MY OPINION. and I think I am entitled to my opinion based on my experience, the model of boat in question is not up to average australian conditions. I now firmly believe that plate boats are the only boats that can be relied on in Oz conditions.

Billfisher, wasn't one of your hornets bent like a banana when it came from the factory? Didn't it need rejigging and rewelding because it had too much rocker in the hull? Sorry If I have you confused with another hornet owner who had a boat that wouldn't swim right.

Why such anger at people putting up their experience? Perhaps it is best that we continue the myth that quintrex is infallable and in fact the boat that Jesus would choose to cast his nets from if he returned.

Regards pete

billfisher
27-01-2006, 12:03 PM
PeterT,

I have never owned a Hornet. The Quinnies I mentioned include an old 4 m open boat (Fish Seeker model I think) and more recently the Dart 385 model. I don't doubt your problems (and other peoples), but a lot of them sound like they are caused by the dealers fit out. As to hull problems I am just wondering how prevalent they are as a proportion of what they sell. I have worked in a few factories and I know that mistakes will happen and sometimes slip through quality inspections.

I have heard of a lot of other makes of pressed tinnies having hull problems as well (in fact more so). This is one of the reasons I bought a Polycraft 4.1 m and fitted it out myself. It ended up a lot cheaper than any equivalent tinnie and I think it will be a lot more durable.

nodjule
27-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Pete a little background on myself, I have just spent the last 6 years of my life living in beautiful Darwin working in a fabrication shop, in that time I have welded up more hulls than I really care to remember, I would say that out of all the hulls only 5% would of been quintrex, whether you like to admit it or not ,boating in the NT takes more toll on a boat then almost anywhere else in the country. no matter what brand, pressed or plate our rigs are put under enormous loads and something has got to give. please don't think for one minute that plate boats are immune from cracking and structural flaws as this is strictly not the case.

As I am sure you are well aware that quintrex is a very popular brand in Darwin and has been for alot of years now, it is no coincidence that they are so popular, in my opinion they are a nice boat and in 98% of the time they will last a very long time.

Just reading between the lines it seems you might have a bit of an issue with the local Quinny dealer, if that is the case we agree totally on at least one thing.

Your new rig I am sure is a nice rig and I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it, but please dont right off Quinny's fullstop, I have many friends in Darwin that have plate boats and its not all beer and skittles.

27-01-2006, 08:01 PM
It is the basis of this very discussion which made me not buy a Quinnie as my latest purchase, and went for a smaller (not mass-produced/marketed) local company. Chances are that a Quintrex would have been fine, but I wasnt sure about some of the lack of build quality I had seen.

Did I make the right decision? I think so as my current tub is brilliant...

But I will own a 435 Hornet Trophy one day and take a 'risk' with Quintrex. :)

billfisher
27-01-2006, 08:16 PM
IN MY OPINION. and I think I am entitled to my opinion based on my experience, the model of boat in question is not up to average australian conditions. I now firmly believe that plate boats are the only boats that can be relied on in Oz conditions.

Regards pete

Just to put things on a different tangent, why are only plate boats up to Oz conditions? Fiberglass boats are gaining popularity for estuary and impoundment use and they never lost popularity for outside use. With the trend towards more powerful motors and more gear and weight on board like electric motors and batteries, livewells, casting decks and so on is it any wonder that some tinnies are cracking up. A good glass boat is will never fatigue or crack due to the shock absorbing nature of the material. It is easier for the manufacturer to get a consitent product too as it comes out of a mould and does not require specialised welding skills. Plus it can be made into any shape desired for the softest ride. In short glass equals class.
Then theres the Polycraft range. Not only are they the cheapest boat on the market they look like they will take virtually any punishment. They have 5 times the impact resistance of fiberglass and I think they would be just the thing for the hard use boats receive up in the Territory.

gunna
27-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Billfisher, wasn't one of your hornets bent like a banana when it came from the factory? Didn't it need rejigging and rewelding because it had too much rocker in the hull? Sorry If I have you confused with another hornet owner who had a boat that wouldn't swim right.

Peter - that was Billfish on another site. He had no end of probems and posted the whole saga as it went on. It made a heap of other Hornet owners realise that the performance of their boats was also flawed - in particular they mostly all porpoised. It was a couple years back now and started a host of disgruntled quinny posts on quite a number of sites. I have never owned one and those I see on the water look a nice boat - but it certainly sounds like there are some QC problems that have crept in in recent years.

billfisher
28-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Gunna,

I hadn't heard of the porposing problem. If they mostly all porposed then why are they so popular? Even PeterT admitted his Hornet handles well. Did the owners try fitting a foil? This usually cures any porposing.

Anyway I don't think I will be buying a pressed tinnie. I'm happy with my Polycraft for enclosed waters and I have a second hand fiberglass boat for outside. I might replace the big boat one day and I will get fiberglass again, all though the 5.3 or 6m Polycraft might be worth considering too.

gunna
28-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Billfisher - the complaints were really common on the other web sites about 2-3 years back. And blokes tried different motor heights, foils, re-arranging weight. It just seemed a lot of hornets down south had problems. But it wasn't just porpoising. A couple separate threads on Fishnet in particular had pages and pages of comments by quinny owners. Lots were defending the boats - but heaps were complaining about quality control issues - and not with the dealer - with the manufacturer. Like I said before - most quinnies I see look really good - but where theres smoke etc etc.

billfisher
28-01-2006, 09:22 AM
I can understand why owners without problems would want to defend their boats. Lets assume that the problems are rare and Quintrex are honouring the warranties. Then the people rubbishing the whole brand on chat sites could be doing the owners more harm than Quintrex ever did. They could do this by harming the resale value.

This happened a few years ago when A Current Affair did a hatchet job on the Ford Capri convertable. The canopies were lasting only a couple of years in the Australian sun. Never mind that the best of them (eg BMW) only lasted 5 years and that Ford offered to replace them for free until a better replacement was found. The damage was done and resale values plumeted.

Oldyella
30-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Peter,

You just need to use a bit of tact when posting up criticism of a major brand especially in the state where they are made.There are people who have paid good money for the ownership of these boats and don't want to hear how bad they are pecieved to be by a few owners. It's like saying " the new Commodore is a heap of crap "(True as it may be :D) .. but people will be defensive.

PeterT
30-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry Billfish it must have been another bloke with the same handle on a diff site.

See thats the problem RD80 . I should have used more "tact". Thanks for pointing that out.

I should not have given an honest apraisal of my 3 years experience with quintrex and the experience i have had dealing with 3 seperate quinnie dealers. I should have bit my tongue so that others could go through the same ordeal.

Years ago I jumped off a bridge into the Murray river in September. I nearly died instantly it was so cold, but I popped up and told my mates it was great so they would jump in and I would have someone to share the suffering, the struggle to shore and the hypothermia as we lay on the bank.

Of those 3 dealers the local Darwin dealer was by far the best. But I had no warranty by the time I was dealing with him. With the other two, very dodgy. I would rate the central coast NSW dealer as one of the most slipshod organisations I have ever dealt with. 4 weeks to get a boat preped which was sitting in the yard the whole time, and it still wasn't right. And to insist that the bait tank and live well were supposed to discharge into the hull - well - :o :-? >:(

Like I said in the initial post, loved my hornet and had some fantastic times in her, but fair go, the maintenance went beyond routine apart from that of the Yammie 60 which was faultless.

Sorry I have upset some other quinnie owners but my aim is to get Quintrex to lift their game.

pete

whiteman
30-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Nothin wrong with my Quinnie. 300+ hours with lots of chop banging and a the wife drives it on the trailer!

Plenty used up my way and never heard a problem. Must need water temp over 25C to work properly.

devocean
30-01-2006, 05:48 PM
My old man has been a welder for 30 years and reckons the welds on the new quinnies are crap, just drive past the coomera wharehouse and check out the sign on the front, Welders wanted, they are taking anyone who can wield a torch.

I have a quinnie my old man has a quinnie and I have had problems ith mine as well.

The old ones are great boats but the new ones just cant handle big power, you cant drive them hard and you must make sure your trailer is spot on, the most common cause of cracked tinnies is improper trailer setup or being driven to hard.

Many of the boats cant handle big seas as well and break very easily, know plentybof guys who have bought new quinnies %m + and destroyed them in a year because they cant handle rough treatment. \

Lets face it quintrex are building boats not for fishermen but for boaties out on the bay. The sooner everyone realises this the better. Go have a look at a mako craft and you will see the difference in strength.

Another wise move is to always use the minimum power requirement stated on the boat maximum means short life spans

nodjule
30-01-2006, 08:44 PM
I promised myself I would leave this thread alone , alas the dribble from devocean needs responding too.

My old man has been a welder for 30 years and reckons the welds on the new quinnies are crap, just drive past the coomera wharehouse and check out the sign on the front, Welders wanted, they are taking anyone who can wield a torch.

What do you suggest they put on the sign out the front" tree surgeons required"? and get your oldman to get his eyes checked, 30 years of alledged welding will seriously stuff with your vision

Many of the boats cant handle big seas as well and break very easily, know plentybof guys who have bought new quinnies %m + and destroyed them in a year because they cant handle rough treatment.

Lucky for three year warrantys then, Telwater must have rocks in there collective heads if they are offering such a warranty when all of your mates Quinny's are turning into aspirins within 12 months " Please spare me such rot "

Another wise move is to always use the minimum power requirement stated on the boat maximum means short life spans

Another wise move is to stop waffling on with such rubbish, how could a difference in 15 horses determine whether or not a hull is going to last 12 months or 12 years.

team_mongo
30-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Peter,

Sorry to hear about your probs with the boat and the poor way the dealers have handled it. As the saying goes BOAT - bring out another thousand ::) ::)

My quinnie has over 400hrs on it and it has never missed a beat, been in some pretty ugly conditions and handled it better than it should of by rights. The bow mount electric worked first time, so did the livebait tank, but yep the johnson live bait pump died after one season. I just give the replacement (johnson) a good flush every use, and it has lasted 2 seasons. I agree the rhule pumps are better.

I think as a off the rack boat, quinnies are not bad. But they're not a custom, and making comparisons are a bit of a mute point.

No boat is invincible, and I know of several plate boats with cracked welds - some from VERY reputable and respected builders. So getting plate is no guarantee.

Anyway, I hope your new boat lives up to expectation and that we see some decent fish posted up.

Cheers
George

billfisher
31-01-2006, 07:26 AM
A lot of disapointments with dealer fit outs would be avoided by asking questions to make sure you know exactly what your getting. You can have a look at other boats in the showroom too and see how they are fitted out. Also get any special request in writing.
You can't really blame the dealers in some cases. The punters want the cheapest possible boat or they will go to the dealer down the road who is quoting a few hundered dollars less. Hence they tend to save a few bucks with Johnson bilge pumps etc. If you want the best you have to pay for it.
If you have got the time and skills its a good idea to fit it out youself (or partially fit it out). This way you will save quite a bit of money and get exactly what you want.