PDA

View Full Version : capsize rope - length or width of boat ?

catchy_fishy
31-01-2006, 05:48 AM
I have finally got to that stage that I'm getting ready to take Catchy Fishy out, on a dam!!!

It's renowned to be a "dangerous" dam if a storm comes up, so I'm taking full saefty equip on board.

The excursion has caused me to bring forward my attaching of a capsize rope. (I was going to sort this out when I'd gone for my skipper's ticket)

But now I have the chance to ask another question to get more useful answers. :) :) :)

I've had differing opinions by local safety officers hence the question. Would you secure the capsize rope across the width of the boat, or across the length of the boat ? I know for a Cat with a dual hull it runs the length of the hull. But I'm not sure on my boat:

5m, fibreglass, mono hull, twin outboards, with a bow eye, and bow rails - various options for securing the rope

See the pics - would you go with the red position or the green position, and also would you attach where I have marked on the transom, or elsewhere ?

catchy_fishy
31-01-2006, 05:52 AM
And on the transom ?

smerl
31-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi catchy-fishy

I'm betting that you are a South African? That's the only place that I know of where capsize ropes are required.

Capsize ropes are not required in Australia so you may not get too much advice on this topic here.

Cheers

Smerl

nodjule
31-01-2006, 08:54 AM
WTF ?

finga64
31-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Gidday Catchy Fishy,
Nice boat mate!!! :)
S.E.S. boats I've seen have the rope along the side. But not secured in only two places. They are secured every 450mm or so if my memory serves me correct.
It would be a nuisance under the boat wouldn't it. Imagine how much spray, lack of performance etc that would cause.

Did you sort the motor problems out???

Really glad your going to get some experience on the dam before the ocean. The only way... :)

Bet your young fella is starting to get keen as you to get on the water ;)

Cheers Scott

catchy_fishy
01-02-2006, 06:37 AM
No capsize rope in Aus ?? That explains it. Thanks for the responses, learned something new yet again

Smerl - you are correct I'm from South Africa

Nodjule - "WTF" - It is a saftey requirement (in SA only apparently) that you carry a capsize rope at all times in open sea. The rope needs to be permanently attached to one place on your boat (usually the stern) and needs to be fatsened elsewhere but easily accessible, usually with a cable tie, or bungi cord to be able to be fastened aft in the vent of a capsize situation, so crew can hang on to the rope, or use the rope and for smaller boats to assist in righting the vessel. The rope usually is the length of the boat, just short of fouling with the motors if used. (or the width of the boat whichever is the case)

Finga - I'd forgotten you responded on one of my first ever posts - kept a low profile on the boating chatboard after that lambasting for a while. He's fine, (nearly 3 now) and is happy enough to go out on a small river, and play with plastic fish in the livewell. I've taken the advice to heart. BTW securing is not a requirement all the way down the side.

I've updated the ongoing saga about the fuses - take a look - she's going in for "analysis and repair"

S.E.S. Boats ????
Mike

finga64
01-02-2006, 08:19 AM
State Emergency Services ..rescue boats in other words