PDA

View Full Version : Tinnie transformation to centre console

MarcusF
29-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi all I am after a bit of advice I have a 4.1m stessco fitted with a 25hp Yamaha CV motor, now as I use the boat mainly by my self I find that having a rear tiller is a pain when out in the bay with slight chop and wind even when trimmed out. So I am considering making the boat a centre console, as the boat seems to need a bit of weight up front. I am looking for advice from anybody that may have done a conversion or who wish too put their two cents in on the following issues -

1) For those if anybody that have converted to a centre console was it worth while.
2) Best location for the centre console - I am thinking of attaching it ot either on top of the front seat i.e. retain the seat or just behind it.
3) If anybody knows where an off the shelf centre console can be purchased from.

Thank you in advance for any body that may reply to this message.

Jeremy
30-01-2006, 06:51 AM
1. yes very well worth while. Converted a 4.3 m tiller steer stessl to centre console. Bought an alloy console and other bits second hand. Much better riding and more comfortable to fish out of.
2. location depends on your boat and your needs. Welded behind the front seat is a good option. Then put a floor on top of the front seat and forwards to the bulkhead under the foredeck as a casting platform and storage underneath. You can remove the rear seat entirely, but you will need to have extra bracing welded in to compensate.
3. Keep you eyes open and ask around. Some chandlery places sell them in various materials. You could also get one custom made by an alloy boat builder.
4. You can expect the exercise to cost around $2000 ball park, depending on how far you go with it.

Jeremy

Blackened
30-01-2006, 08:14 AM
G'day MarcusF
well..... I'd imagine it'd be worthwhile but does that warrant the cost? Will a 4.1 be too small for a console?. Any reputible bulder should be able to knock you up a console quickly..... i know bcf have them off the shelf and i think so does bla. Best of luck and do some figure first.
Dave

HarryO
30-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi Marcus...

Spend a lot of time considering this conversion..

Jeremys right in that it cost about $2k if done properly.

Daves right in that a 4.1 tiller hull is not the best candidate
for converting.

If you still want to go ahead with it, I would get a
narrow console 300-400mm wide, and mount it no more forward
than amidships.

Maintaining a good weight distribution is critical in c/c hulls less
than 4.5m.

Moving your weight mid/for'd will make the hull handle particularly
dangerously in a following sea situation, not to mention unstable
when trying to "fish" around the console.

Comes to mind the bluefin c/c that was recently involved in an
incident off Wello pt.

Not surprising when you look at the boat, the size of the console,
(huge) the position of it (well forward) in the most unstable
part of the boat.. #add to that, wide waterline spray chines at the bow,
and the weight of 2 crew behind it....

Theres heaps more questions to be asked about that...

Harry...

Bowser
30-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Marcus,

I did it with a Stessco, but the 4.45. If you decide to proceed I would consider removing the seats alltogether. Especially in a boat of your size, I think this wourld greatly enhance the value of the upgrade. With the seats in the ability to move around the boat will be greatly restricted and make the conversion of doubtful value. I had the console and other work done at the time done by Seaquip at Capalaba. They have a web site and you can look at some of their ideas.

I had them build a seat in front of the console which gives you somewhere to sit and also doubles as a storage box. With the seats gone I use an esky specifically bought for the purpose as back seat. It can be angled whichever way suits your needs at the time. Also consider having a t-top attached to the console. This can be made to fold down and is much more useable than any type of bimini on the market whilst still giving reasonable shade and a screen to protect you from the worst elements.

MarcusF
31-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks all for the advice & the seaquip web page has some interesting photos, Jeremy & Bowser would there be any chance of posting a pic so I an get a few ideas of what it may look like.

Marcus

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi Marcus,

Did the conversion on a 445 Bermuda at Riptide a couple fo years ago...I'd reckon Jeremy's estimations is pretty close. Agree with Bowser, remove the seats entirely...I'll post some pics for your consideration

Cheers

Rhys

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:44 PM
another

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:44 PM
number 3

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:46 PM
another

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:47 PM
number 5

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:47 PM
nearly there

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:48 PM
last one whew!

revs57
31-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Yibbidy Yibbida, that's all folks...best thing I ever did...made it into a really practical fishing platform and the setup worked a treat

Cheers

Rhys

Jeremy
31-01-2006, 02:47 PM
only photo I have, for what it s worth....

Fixation
01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi Marcus,

I had the same trouble with my 4.6 quinny. Have you considered buying a stingray foil to trim the boat out more? I don't really know what benifit it would have on your motor. I bought one for my yammie 50 hp and it's been worth it's weight in gold. Has trimmed the nose down heaps and no one has to sit up the front anymore to keep the nose down. Heaps better ride now. Might be a cheaper option....