PDA

View Full Version : tinny motor

ausmat
08-01-2006, 02:20 PM
hi guys, wot motor am i gunna put on my new 3.5 mt tinny ?

Spaniard_King
08-01-2006, 02:37 PM
A 225 Honda ;D

Garry

ausmat
08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
will that be big enough ? ::) ;D :'(

Tony_N
08-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Mate - so many options out there. #I'm going through the same dilemma.

First i suppose you need to think about HP. #Depending on how fast you want to go and how much weight you will be carrying you could get a motor from 10 HP or less to probably 25 (depending on the transom rating on your tinnie).

2nd do you go 2 stroke, 4 stroke, or high tech 2stroke (e-tec)

2 stroke is cheaper to buy and to service, uses more fuel, is noisy, and is not very environmentally friendly
4 strokes are more expensive to buy and to service,use less fuel, quieter, and more environmentally sensitive
I dont think there is an e-tec lower than 40 HP beeing produced yet - so it is not relevant to you. Anyway they are very expensive IMO.

Other decisions include whether you want pull start or electric start. #This adds a fair whack to price.

Then you have #to chase around and decide on a brand of motor. #Advice here is hard to get. #Everybody (boat owners and agents all reckon their motor is best).

The best advice I've been able to get is that the Honda Yamaha and Suzuki all have good reputations (though some are not so sure about the Suzi company based on some bad past history and maybe a shortage of parts). #Probably all motors these days are pretty damn good - but for resale, my guess is that the above three might get the best reception from the biggest number of potential buyers.

Those are some things to think about from somebody who has NO technical expertise - so I have tried not to judge on technical merits.

My final decision for my new motor is for a 4stroke 40 HP electric start with power trim/tilt for a 4.1 poly. #Still tossing up between Honda (which has carbies) and Suzuki (which has EFI).

You probably know all of this aready - so FWIW

Tony

One final thought # - maybe the final decision on brand should be determined by the reputation of the dealer and the mechanics at the shop. #Long term these are very important considerations

ausmat
08-01-2006, 03:44 PM
thanks for your thoughts tony . you are talking to a novice here ,so go for it,i'm on a learning curve at the moment ! going to cape york in july so i had better start learning eh thanks matyn]ausmat]

grex
09-01-2006, 06:05 AM
There should be a plate attached to the boat & that advises the maxium HP rating. I think it wil be 20hp - 25hp.

A friend of mine had a similar boat to yourself with a 15hp. With 2 on board it had heaps of speed.

Tony commented on the 2s V's 4s. Whilst there is the occusional puff of smoke I would go 2s , for the reasons he mentioned , their lighter , less expensive to purchase & maintain.
In a motor this size the difference in fuel usage between 2s / 4s is so low it is hardly worth a mention.
Price , shop around, as a guide 15hp cost around $2000.

Geoff

finga64
09-01-2006, 09:31 AM
mate, I have 3.7m edgetracker with a 2s 25hp Tohatsu and I hardly ever get it to full throttle. With 4 adults (max load) I can get over 40km/h out of it. Nice on calm water but it would be just dangerous on any chop.
The old owner used to have a 15hp on and it still went great.

joey_1987
09-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey, 15hp would be plenty, most 9.9hp 2 strokes are the same weight as 15hp 2 strokes. For 15hp, yamaha has the best fuel economy, the most power, uses the least oil when compared to johnson and mercury, though the johnson and mercury do run a bit smoother, they use double the oil (50:1 compared to 100:1 for the yamaha), they will use more fuel and you will get less top end speed. 25hp i have to say would be overkill for a boat that size, my stacer 395 has a 30hp mariner on it (same as mercury, built by tohatsu and painted by mercury) and that has more than ample power to get up and go, with 2 people i rarely use all the grunt that it has, and it uses very little fuel being under stressed. 15hp would do you fine, where do you plan on using it and with how many people in it? If you have any questions let me know. Joey.

2iar
09-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, check your compliance plate and go as close to the max as your budget allows, but a boat oif that size should do fine with a cheap 15hp, 2 stroke. Don't bother with a 9.9 as they weigh the same as 15's and are more expensive. Tohatsu also do a 18hp if I recall correctly.

Good luck,
Mike

ausmat
09-01-2006, 04:23 PM
many thanks for all your imput guys. Looks like its a 15hp for me.
joey, there'll be 2 of us in the boat and to where we will be fishing, well thats my next qustion for you guys .Dont forget i'm new at this but i'm keen!Take the piss if you like but be contructive ! ;D

ausmat
09-01-2006, 04:26 PM
15hp 2 stroke, i forgot to add,i'll have to carry it in the back of the patrol cause the boats going on top ,
martyn ;D ::)

ausmat
09-01-2006, 04:35 PM
ps, did i mention i'll heading to cape york, Thats where i'd like a little help of where to fish, confusing ? yes ! good fun ? yeaaaah
martyn

joey_1987
09-01-2006, 11:11 PM
36kg approx is the weight for 2 strokes. With 2 people and say a 15hp yamaha, expect in excess of 45km/h, yammie is 36kg, merc is 35kg, up to you which motor to get, they are all pretty good in that price range, but if it was me, i would go the yammie. What is your hull rated at? Joey.

brentasauros
10-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I..went..the..15..Evinrude...I'm..happy...with..it .

Very..smooth...reliable

joey_1987
10-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey, the 15hp johnson/evinrude/mercury will be the smoothest of the 15hp 2 strokes because they use cross flow scavenging of fuel, but they will use more fuel and you will get less speed. The 15hp yamaha uses loop charged scavenging and will not be as smooth, but still quite smooth, and will give you more power and more fuel economy..like getting your boat on the plane at half throttle. In the end the decision is yours, if you want smoothness at the expense of fuel economy and speed, go the merc or johnson or evinrude, if you want more speed and better economy go the yammie. If you were tossing up between the merc or johnson or evinrude, go the merc because it has F/N/R/Stop functions integrated into the tiller, a very handy feature. Joey.

finga64
10-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey Martyn,
Don't forget to tie the motor down well when it's on the back of the troopy, oops Patrol sorry, to stop the bouncing. It only puts extra wear onto all the pivot points if you don't.

bushbeachboy
10-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey Joey,
Up here in Townsville the local Yamaha dealer advises to run all Yammies no leaner than 50:1. Even though the manual says 100:1 after run-in, he advised that because of high humidity in the tropics you should run 50:1. When queried about it, he hinted that Yamaha would not honour any warranty claim for motors run too lean. That would be fair, but running double oil permanently? No, I've not gotten it confused with the run-in period. And it comes from a good mate running a 30 3cyl 2 stroke bought new in 04. The dealer seems to be genuine, provides good service and is friendly and easily approachable. At no time has he tried to sell my mate on the idea that he should only use Yamalube. He seems to be fair and square. Maybe Spaniard King could provide advice about this.
Cheers mate.

whiteman
10-01-2006, 04:08 PM
I went 4s on my 3.1m tinny cause it gives me heaps of range compared to a 2s. My 6HP Suzuki is the same weight as 2s from other manufacturers and I get to 25kph (a bit unstable at that speed!). It is a quiet little thing so I'd recommend you look at Suzuki as a very good option.

My main concern was weight then fuel economy. The motor is 23kg and I get over an hour of trolling on 1 litre of fuel!

2iar
10-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I went 4s on my 3.1m tinny cause it gives me heaps of range compared to a 2s. My 6HP Suzuki is the same weight as 2s from other manufacturers and I get to 25kph (a bit unstable at that speed!). It is a quiet little thing so I'd recommend you look at Suzuki as a very good option.

My main concern was weight then fuel economy. The motor is 23kg and I get over an hour of trolling on 1 litre of fuel!

At that weight, that sounds like a top option on a 3.1. You wouldn't even need a licence for it!

Mike

whiteman
02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Licence and rego'd boat definately required. 20+ kph!

MIKOS
02-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Joey,

Ive got a 3.75 allycraft with the 15 merc (tohatsu) and I love it.

Never had a problem

Allthough if i could turn back time i would be buying the 15 yammie as it is lighter and you have 10 kmh top speed than me.That is going on the article from boat point recently.

Mike ;)

Tal
02-02-2006, 05:46 PM
hey joey (sorry to butt-in on ur topic ausmat, just thought ited save room instead of opening new thread)

looking at same boat as you have, i have a price here of $5950 with a 15hp mariner outboard (ready2go)
how much extra did they hit you to get the 30hp instead of 15? and are there any extras (semi-floor, side console, etc) that you would get if you were to buy the boat again?

joey_1987
02-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey, well when i got the quote i told them i wanted a 30hp and they quoted me for the boat, motor and trailer with 30hp. I then added navigation lights and a battery with box and switch. It didn't include a floor, i only opted for an anchor, bailing bucket, two lifejackets and paddles as safety equipment because i already had the rest. They threw in a free first service which they normally charge $225 for. Total was $5800 incl dealer delivery and rego charges. For the safety gear i didn't get, you're looking at $52 for flares, $15 for torch, $20-$30 for fire extinguisher. You are better off not to get the safety gear from the dealer price wise. I was happy with this price, and i bought it. The boat drives very well, has a lot of room especially for myself and my girlfriend, we have an absoloute ball in summer and it is very very fast. The price you got is off the stacer website. Ring your dealer and ask them what they can do. Joey.

joey_1987
02-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Hey Mikos, you will find that your motor is in fact a detuned tohatsu 18hp, and it will very likely perform as good as the yammie because it is also a loop charged motor. Also you have 48cc more than the yamaha, this should give you a torque advantage, a good thing. Those tohatsu's are built to last and last and last, my local hire boat place uses and they get bumped around and run across sandbars regularly but they don't want to give up. There may be a restrictor plate which you could remove giving your motor 18hp instead of 15, then it will perform quite a bit better. Joey.

MIKOS
03-02-2006, 07:49 AM
That a really good fact joey!!!!

Thanks for that information.Think i might do some home mechanics this weekend.Ive alreadt got to change the gearbox oil but I will have a look and see if there is a restrictor plate. ;)

Does anybody else have any info or own one of these motor that can give any further advice?

Always after a few extra ponies.

Cheers

Mike

billfisher
03-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Bushbeacboy,

All premix two strokes are better off run on 50:1 compared to 100:1. The 100:1 ratio is just a marketing idea (concession to the environment). There is nothing mechanically different about them that makes them run on 100:1. Over years of use it has been found that engines show less wear when run on the optimum ratio of 50:1.

Tal
03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the joey