PDA

View Full Version : Want to Buy my first Boat

ismail
04-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

I am seriously looking at buying my first boat as I am tired of land based fishing all the time. I want something that I can fish in rivers, creeks, the pin, redcliff area and some other close ofshore reefs, somerset dam etc.

What i need some help on is what size I should be looking at. Before you all ask abut what money I am willing to spend, well that all depends on what I require for the areas I want to fish. I obviously dont want something too big so it is difficult to get around smaller creeks etc but nothing too small so i get thrown around and drenched while out on the bay.

Lastly I want to fit an electric motor for when I am fishing sp's in the rivers etc. I am only looking at taking up to four adults at a time. Also I was told fibre glass boats are better for going out on the bay. Is this true? and if so how come?

thanks for all the help.

Ismail

snakecatcher
04-02-2006, 09:30 AM
I have a quintrex 4.75m hornet and it is great for fishing creeks, estuaries and dams but and this is a big but it would have to be dead calm before I took it too far offshore as it ain't designed for that sort of work. I do fish inshore waters off mooloolaba but only when it is calm. It can fit 4 adults with ease and is very stable when at rest so it makes a great boat for fishing. You really need to decide what sort of fishing you will doing most and get a boat that suits that purpose - check out this website as it has a number of boat reviews which may help you narrow things down

http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?LengthType=ft&Power=P&Hull=S&PriceFrom=0&PriceTo=0&ShowThumbnail=True&SortBy=A1&ResultsPerPage=5&PageIndex=0&TabID=200530&Alias=boatpointau

Good luck

Angla
04-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Ismail,
There seems to be too much variation to what you want.
You would be better with 2 boats. A small tinnie to get up the small creeks and a bigger Glass to go reef fishing.
You may have to compromise with say a 5.0 metre tinnie and lose comfort on the reefs but still be able to scratch the metal on the snags in the creeks while carrying up to 4 people.
Do you need to carry lots of crab pots too and you will have to consider the fishing deck size. My fibreglass 575 Outsider fishes 2 or 3 comfortably

Angla

ismail
04-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Most of my fishing is done in the esturies and off wello point atm so perhaps if you could help me with info on what i should be looking for in a boat for these regions. eg. size, engine size etc

Grand_Marlin
04-02-2006, 11:02 AM
also see other post on here... help for a new b - first boat

TheSaint
04-02-2006, 11:57 AM
The Boat shows start up again soon so your best chance would be hitting these to get all the information you need..