PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 5

brett_rokesky
04-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Story in the news tonight that 1 in 5 Qld families have a boat.

Quintrex down there on the coast cant keep up with demand.
The question is? are these people who are buying the boats following through with attaining a licence? (for boats that require them of course) reason being is a friend of a friend just bought a new tinny and has no intention on getting a licence in a hurry.

I know that people drive cars/motor bikes without licences. though for the unexperienced on the water a licence course will give them a great understanding. Do dealers or private sellers recommend courses to the untrained?

With so many people on the water i just wouldn't like to see stories of carnage and misfortune.

The_Walrus
04-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Maaate,

They just want to own a boat, not necessarily use it ;)

It's all well until there a reconning after an accident. But hey it won't happen to me ::)

I think that if a boat has to be registered the dealer should be required to sight & records the details of the new owner's license.

Unlicensed drivers should have the book thrown at them.

Luc

fish2eat
04-02-2006, 10:43 PM
There are many circumstances where you don't need a licence. I do have one but my old baycruiser doesn't require one.

The_Walrus
04-02-2006, 10:52 PM
That's correct. I spend many years legally driving a powered boat without needing a license.

However, to drive a boat unlicensed when one is required is foolhardy at best and criminal at worst.

Luc

PinHead
04-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Not many instances now where a license is not required...especially with most quinnies...no license..no insurance company will cover an unlicensed driver..only needs that one misfortune to risk losing everything

Bosunsmate
04-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Licenses are required for a reason....usually because there is a certain amount of knowledge and/or skill required to ensure safe operation of the equipment, its the same as driving cars, buses and trucks unlicensed...........

Throw the book at em........HARD #>:( & make it hurt !

Maryanne
05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Personally, in my humble opinion, this is an area that could be easily controlled. The govt should bring in legislation where, to buy a car or boat or any sort of vehicle that requires a licence, proof of that licence should be shown and detailed on the transfer certificates. I know it won't fix all the problem as people still find a way around it, but I think it would help ease the problem of unlicenced boaties.

For some reason, and I may be wrong, I am on the odd occasion ;D ;D (Ask my hubby) but there seems to be a real * I don't care* attitude when it comes to boat licences. There seems to be a lot of guys that just don't give a damn and never intend to get a licence.

Cheers Tracey
aka mrs skippa

finga64
05-02-2006, 08:04 AM
On the licence thingo:
Dumb people do dumb things. I personally wouldn't risk it especially as the boys in boy have these little black boxes on board to check your details. I know. They went through me last Wednesday. All they needed was my name (backed up by my car licence) asked me a couple of questions to confirm and bingo they know all about me.
The electronic age is upon us. When they can carry laptops in jetski's and hook up to the big blue database it's only a matter of time before everybody is checked.
Forget about insurance. They'll have a big laugh at any claim you hopefully never make. Mmmm Doing 30kts, went around a corner and hit a log. No licence. Mmm. Claim refused. NEXT.
What about the criminal neglect bit if something real bad happens??

On the 1 in 5 bit:
There's some poor families missing out big time. I have 3 boat rego's. That means 14 families are missing out. :(

toymod
05-02-2006, 09:03 AM
I bought a boat 4years ago and only got my licence 1 year ago. However never once didnt drive it without a licence driver (only my brother who i trust to watch over me). It would be crazy for me to risk voiding my insurance, hurting someone just for a bit of fun....too old for them sor of risks.

So i thik there is some people that have a boat and no liecence still do the right thing, maybe few and far between though.

Feral
05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
NOw there are plenty of mobs that do it all in a day course, for around $150 to 200 mark, using their boat, so it is pretty simple. Once upon a time it was a pian getting a licence.

Mind you I got mine out west (25 years ago), rolled up to the cop shop, with the boat on the back. Said I needed a power boat licence as I was going up the gulf, he said fine and wrote it out. Not like he was going to take me 300k to find a bit of water large enough to put the boat in.!