PDA

View Full Version : 4 blade props

Kendall249
05-02-2006, 02:33 PM
what is the advantage of a four bladed prop?

toymod
05-02-2006, 05:14 PM
They are quicker out of the whole but loose top end, me thinks they are ment for things where you are in the rough lots (ie of sure) so you can stick it and get instant power.....thats what i've been told.

Hope this helps

Dave

blaze
05-02-2006, 07:15 PM
more suited to larger hp, 150 + will still work and availabe for lesser hp. one down fall is the loss of reverse steering. great for holeshot and holding plane but generally find if you were running a 17" ppitch, you would drop down to 15" pitch other wise you lose WOT revs.
cheers
blaze

Mr__Bean
05-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Agree with the post above, a 4 blade will give better grip of the water and will help holeshot if slippage is a current issue. By slippage I mean that the thrust of the 3 blade is insufficient to drive a big boat off quickly. This is usually only a problem with large outboards trying to accelerate large boats in a hurry, smaller boats with smaller outboards do not tend to have the same issues.

I also find that if you are regularly punching through rough water, then the 4 blade prop helps a larger outboard keep grip of the water and it punches you through the waves a bit better rather than loosing speed on each hit and recovering before the next hit.

Once again, I think it is only of value on larger boats with larger outboards.

The downside is that they also convey more engine torque into the boat than a 3 blade and can create a significant torque lean on the boat.

- Darren