PDA

View Full Version : Any good deals out there for boat insurance ?

Alex9797
02-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Has any one come across a resonable deal for insuring their boat? I am currently insured with suncorp for my tinnie but am considering others for the new arrival.

many thanks

Alex

blaze
02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I am insured with CGU, dont know how they compare but I have just had the misforture to have a major claim (boat hull wrote off) and the claim was settle promptly with no hassles, to me the the real test of insurance
cheers
blaze

Mad-One
02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
I have dealt with CGU for all my insurances and found them to be really helpful. Even when the wife and I done a 4 state trip on the Harley and we lost some gear off the back off the bike they covered it in really quick time. Just make sure what you are covered for as some of there policies don't cover accidental damage

Cheers Phil

dnej
02-02-2006, 04:12 PM
NRMA, have one of the very few agreed value policies on the market, and cost effective rates
David

bcb20
02-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Alex,

Did the same exercise mid last year, tried NRMA, CGU, Club Marine and so on.......found Western QBE to be the best, but as we all know the real test is when making a claim! Let's hope I never have the misfortune.

Sabre One

dnej
02-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Sabre,
I called QBE, and requested a copy of a policy document, as it appears that they are also agreed value insurers. As soon as I receive same, I will let you know what it says.

Thanks for the info.
Agreed value cover is getting harder to find these days. NRMA looks great at this point. I am with Whitworths, but their underwriter is being changed, and they sre not doing agreed value any longer. Buggar
Regards David

first_mate
02-02-2006, 09:24 PM
I am with RACQ Insurance for all my insurance and have had no dramas. You get what you pay for, so you need to compare like with like not just $$

Regards,
Angus

falcon01
02-02-2006, 11:03 PM
I prefer club marine as they only do boats

dnej
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Angus,
Did you know that RACQ is not an agreed value policy. Take a look at your policy document.

The doc will probably say, that they pay you the sum assured, or the market value, at the time of claim which ever is less.

I think Club may be the same. Read the policy documents. This is really important. Get a yellow highlighter, read through the document, and mark the relevant points of concern, and talk to the company. Dont be disappointed.
Regards David

ahoj
05-02-2006, 02:39 PM
You didn't see the charter boat?----What charter boat???????? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alex9797
06-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the help guys :). I will contact all and see how it goes. A word of warning though. I rang the insurance arm of the commonwealth bank for a quote. We have our home and contents through them, the quote was double that of Club marine. When i asked why the said that they were an intermediatory ( i think thats the word ) for Club Marine who had earlier quoted me about $ 500. What a scam.

ta

Alex

dnej
06-02-2006, 12:33 PM
OK, have the ploicy doc, for Western QBE, yes they are agreed value insurers.

Forget the premium, its the policy document you want to read, and you also want to get paid out, what you insure for, ( Agreed value),
not a market value.
Thats two I know of , NRMA & now this one.
Regards David