PDA

View Full Version : Is bigger better?

seajack
04-02-2006, 03:44 PM
I am in the process of trying to decide on whether to purchase a Cruise craft Explorer 575 or 625. I had hoped to get some thoughts in whether is is worth spending the extra money for what seems to be only a relativly small increase in length but a big increase in price. My main problem is that I live in a rather remote part of the country and cant just vist a dealer to see for myself. When the time comes I will spend the money and fly to a dealer but in the mean time I would appreciate your thoughts?

gropeher
04-02-2006, 04:39 PM
That smalll piece of extra length makes a huge difference, you will be surprised when you see them in person, and yes bigger is better as long as you can afford to run it.
If you live in a remote part of the country, how often will you get to use the boat?, and where will you use the boat?.
Will you be offshore fishing,
Fill us in on your expected style of fishing trip and we should be able to help you out a bit more here..

Cheers Ryan..

suttos
04-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Seajack,

I have paid a deposit on a 5.7m Tabs alloy plate boat Ocean series and before I coughed up I took all the models for a test drive.

The 6m was very nice had everything and was big bucks. Mainly due to the bigger motor more or less.

The 5.7 handled like the 6m while the cockpit was only 15cm shorter. This, as well as the towing issues I will have living in central victoria. I decided to buy the 5.7m as a more than happy comprimise.

The hull will be finished on friday this week and I should have it by the 23/2. When the guys say bigger is better I think that when choosing the motor this is true. I put a 135 merc optimax on mine after being told that 115 2/ stroke would be ample.

When I did the test drive the motor size was the biggest discussion point. However with the 135 optimax it cruised at 2500 rpm whilst the 115 cruised at 3500 rpm. Fuel savings convinced the financier to approve the larger motor.

By the way I intend to use it on the southern coast of NSW and the coast line throughout victoria. There are a number of lakes nearby and they will be a great way to flush out the salt.

If I had an open chequebook I probably would have bought the 6m but still the same issues, towing and running costs.

suttos

seajack
04-02-2006, 05:48 PM
When I say remote I mean Gove in the nt, so when it comes to how often will I use it the answer is simple. All travel will be coastal and for all intense and purpose off shore is where I plan to head most days. I am hoping to do as much touring and fishing as I can get out of the boat. (The Wessles and beyond beckon.) Having said that heading anywhere within 1 to 2 hours up down or off the coast produces some of the best fishing I have ever experienced.

I tend to do a fairly even combination of trolling and bottom bouncing, depends what looks good.

I was hoping to be able to fish four people out the boat, I am told that 575 is ok for 4 but obviously the 625 is better.

Still trying to decide if I will go new for try and source second hand. But am having trouble finding a second hand explorer at the moment.

Cheers,

Andrew

youngfisho
04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
I know of a few aus fishers who have stepped out of CC's and into fishers. optimax for one. If you want it as a pure fishing machine and want the stability at rest then maybe a fisher might be a better proposition. Plus it can be set up to your requirements, colour scheme, layout ie centre cab\cuddy cab\ centre console.

Granted CC's are nice boats but the layout is pretty much what you see is what you get. I would prefer the benefit of a customized boat as I would get the set up I wanted straight up

andrew

troy
05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Seajack i tested both boats you mentioned and i definately noticed the difference and i went for the 625.
The bigger size even though on paper does not look much but when you take them for a test run you will see the difference.
Just my opinion.
Having said that does not mean that the 575 is not a top rig.
Troy.
PS sorry mate i am talking about the outsider

bj
05-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Andrew, having spent 5 months in Nhulunbuy several years ago I can tell you that bigger will definately be better & twin motors even better. Your in remote country there & you would need to be well prepared. Going to Groote Eylandt from Nhulunbuy is a great trip but then you would know that. There are so many great fishing spots up there & many are very achievable in a good trailerable boat but as you said you are remote. You are very fortunate to live there with such good fishing, so get the biggest boat you can afford with the biggest fuel tank you can fit would be my advice.

seajack
06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Thnks for your thoughts. I have come across a 7m Mustang 2150 series 2 with a inboard merc and alpha 1 leg (250hrs). I have no experience with an inboards otherwise the price and package looks good. Any thoughts on inboard engines compared to simialr HP outboards? Or mustang hulls for that matter.

Andrew

gropeher
06-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Seajack,
In my opinion the 575 is way too small for 4 blokes to be fishing, but thats just my opinion, maybe you dont mind being cramped, whereas I like to have a bit of space. You have alot more chance of fishing 4 guys out of a 625.
If yopu send Wyoming a PM he has a 575 and ask him what the space and chances would be like for fishing 4 guys out the back of his rig.
Or better still, send him a PM and ask for his mobile number, he is a really nice bloke and will be only to happy to help and offer any advice he can.

Cheers Ryan..

seajack
07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ryan will do

Andrew