PDA

View Full Version : Life jacket advice

backhoe
05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
In the process of loooking around for a life jacket that would be suitable to wear all the time when fishing alone that is comfortable to wear and not too hot but still does the job. Was thinking about an inflatable one but it looks like they need to be inflated either by letting of the gas cylinder or blowing up which isn't much good if you are knocked out on the way overboard. Usually someone else in the boat so don't need it but occasionally go out in the bay alone and from past experience it doesn't take much for things to go pear-shaped.
Has anyone used any that they think is good? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

blaze
05-02-2006, 02:29 PM
you can get them with auto inflate

backhoe
05-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks Blaze
Have found some autoinflating ones on the web. Any idea how much water it takes to set them off? Does rain and spray set them off. Saw a few things on the web about humidity setting them off.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
06-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi Backhoe
I have a Stormy Seas auto inflate. They are great you put it on in the morning & wear it all day no worries at all. I have quite often forgotten to take it off before getting in the car to come home! I have used mine in the rain at Strahan on the west coast of Tassie (if you have ever been there you will know what rain is) & never had problems with it inflating as it needs to be under water for the little "plug" to get wet to allow the mechanism work.

Pete

Relaxed
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
G Day all.

Just got a Stormy Yoke this morning for a birthday present. #;D #[smiley=birthdays.gif]

It can be worn in the Summer by it's self and you don't get too hot [smiley=angryfire.gif], or with your favourite jacket in Winter or wet conditions [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif].

Now if the wind would only stop blowing so I can take the boat out.

Cheers Andy.

PS: Whats with all the new stuff in the "more smileys" section, it takes forever to load now?

subzero
06-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Love them, we use this model here.
http://www.marinesafe.com.au/Lifejackets/stormy%20seas/v200.htm
They have been used every weekend (worn), for 4-5 years now and still perform like new. (Occassionaly we will set 1 off intentionally)
They are very comfortable and warm but not to hot in the summer. Just like Pirate Pete, I too have forgotten to take them off after being out on the water.

We use the manual ones, all you have to do is pull down sharply on the chest pocket to activate the co2 cylinder and inflate the jacket (Attached by velcro)... You have to decide for yourself, is it more likely that you will end up under your boat or unconcious in the event of a major incident??? We decided to choose the manual inflate as we were more inclined to think that the possibility/probability of overturning and being under the boat was greater than hitting your head and being unable to activate your vest. This solves that proverbial question as to wether to wear one or not crossing the bar... one of these you can for sure...

The one problem that we have had is with the optional salt water activated shoulder strobe lights, they get wet and go off all the time and consequently go flat. Short of wetting them again to see if they are flat you are buggered as their is no way of testing them easily. Consequently, might I suggest, if you did decide to purchase 1 of these jackets, that you buy a small torch/strobe light that from memory either Pains/Wessex or RFD put out and keep it in the zip up pocket for an emergency.
At the end of the day they are blo@dy awesome.
Hope the info helps
Cheers Lloyd

backhoe
07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas
Looked at about 5 different brands but ended up going with the Stormy seas yolk style. Was probably the lightest and most comfortable of the lot and also seemed to have the best design. Was the dearest by a fair bit but if you are going to do it you may as well do it properly. Plus it is AUstralian made.
Thanks again

Relaxed
08-02-2006, 05:58 PM
G'day Backhoe,

Did you get auto inflate or manual?

Mine is a manual, but I may look at getting it changed to auto at its first service, everytime they get serviced by Stormy the warranty extends another 12 months, bl00dy good value and a great jacket plus made in Tassie.

Cheers Andy.

backhoe
08-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Got auto inflate but it is simple to transfer to maual if I want to by just taking the pill out. Will let you know if I have any dramas with it. The bloke I got it from told us a few things like lifting the pocket up after use,etc. that stops the pill setting the cylinder off. Comparing them with other brands they seem to have thought them out pretty well and they seem to have avoided the problems that might happen with the other jackets.
Kev