PDA

View Full Version : Oh for the beautiful Carvel!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
06-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Sue and I have often thought about buying ourselves a decent size old plodder. Something that we can spend some weekends on, or just a night if I'm in the doghouse, and some of the holidays. We have weighed up some of the pros and cons and to us the pros far outweigh the cons.

About 6 months ago we spotted a beautiful Carvel in the Fitzroy. She had just been repainted with new cabin, rails, etc etc. Absolutely glorious. We looked at her every time we put the boat in the water and decided that yep, we want one.

Yesterday we met the owner of that Carvel and spent an enjoyable time talking to him. She has had her cabin lifted and refurbished, floor lifted and levelled, she runs a 30hp Yanmar and cruises at 7kts. She is 27ft, her hull is spotted gum, her draft 1m and she weighs 7.3 ton. He doesn't want to part with her just yet, but maybe in the near future.

Does anyone have one??? Is there anything peculiar to these boats that I should look for??? He reckons it owes him about 50k but realises he will never get that for her. I think maybe around 35k????

What do you people think about them???

Cheers and thanks
Dave

blaze
06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
always wanted to do one as a project
cheers
blaze
ps
the wife has left the room so I can type this and denigh all knowledge of it

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
06-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Blaze, I'm sure you would do the beautiful old girls justice.

They are so grand yet shy, with proud bows and sweeping lines without being arrogant. Strong and yet gentle.
Yeah ok enough of that!

I sat under the house for 2 hrs last night sipping coldies and dreaming of this beautiful boat. We would still keep the Jabiru and use it to get to and from the Carvel and to run pots etc.

Sure there would be a bit of maintenance involved, but we've all got that no matter what boat we have. I don't think the Carvel would be high maintenance if little things were kept on top of and she had her yearly slip???

Cheers
Dave

finga64
07-02-2006, 06:48 AM
fella's there's one on ebay have a gander.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4608595771&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Ooh, what a project. Wouldn't it be nice just putting around the place not a care in the world.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
07-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks finga

I had a look at the boat on ebay and she looks good. Maybe it is just the photo's but somehow I doubt that boat is a Carvel. Still would make a cheap and interesting project for someone though.

Thanks
Dave

Moffy
07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Dave,

There's a "carvel" on this site in the power boats section (4th from the bottom)
http://www.tsvboats.com/

Moffy

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
07-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks Moffy

Have had a look at them. Some look very good!

Cheers
Dave

Panda
08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I love the old displacement hull boats. But wooden boats are definately high maintainence boats.

If I was going to buy a displacement hull I reckon I would go for something like a Roberts Longboat. Fiberglass and trailorable.

Hoges
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
fella's there's one on ebay have a gander.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4608595771&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Ooh, what a project. Wouldn't it be nice just putting around the place not a care in the world.

What a bargain! It went for $4,200 including the registered 10ft stessle tinny on a dunbier trailer with 5hp mariner outboard, oars, life jackets, anchor.
Moored at Jacobs Well(Mariner) QLD.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
08-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Yes it was cheap that's for sure. Too cheap I think, and especially since the owner did not set a reserve. Made me cautious.

Cheers
Dave