PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem!!!!

coxy
03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a problem!!! New trailer coming & before I immerse it in saltwater I've been given some advice. Problem is who it is coming from.
1) Father in law - Tectyl it all over
2) Boss at work - Inox it all over
3) Best mate - Lanolin it all over

Phone a friend!!!! Any advice?
Coxy

banshee
03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
If it's hot dipped gal I can't see the point in doing anything except a realy good rinse of when it gets home.

Dignity
03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Coxy, my thoughts are - Lanolin is best on clean raw steel and probably not do much to galvanised. Inox and Tectyl are probably better on galvanised although have had no experience with Inox. Tectyl works well (make sure you get the one for steel and not aluminium). I usually overspry the outside once tectyl goes hard with silver spray paint.

sam

billfisher
03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Definitely Tectyl. The others will wash off far too easily. You only have to coat the bits that dip in the water.
Its a good idea to use a coating as the galvanising will only last so long when exposed to saltwater.

troy
04-02-2006, 06:04 AM
Is Lanox the same as Lanolin as a chap from BCF recommened it for outboard motors.
He said you only use a few squirts and wipe it over [his words]
Troy

finga64
04-02-2006, 07:48 AM
grease, grease and more plain old grease. It gets hard after a while.

billfisher
04-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Grease?

Well it migth do the job but your trailer will look absolutely filthy. You can't beat Tectly. It dries hard quickly and lasts for ages.

DNO40
04-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Another Vote for tectyl, You are supposed to listen to your father in law.

DNO

Angla
04-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Tectyl as the father in law cannot be ignored

We all ignore the boss

Mates will get you drunk just so they can laugh at you afterwards

Could score you brownie points too with the missus

Angla

Dignity
04-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Is Lanox the same as Lanolin as a chap from BCF recommened it for outboard motors.
He said you only use a few squirts and wipe it over [his words]
Troy
I think they are the same, if we are toalking about the spray can stuff but from different manufacturers although there is a lanolin grease which is great on new clean steel. Rub it in and it won't go rusty. The sprays I use inliue of CRC as it basically does the same but adds a protective coat that doesn't dry out like CRC. Wll wash off after a bit but still better by far.

Coxy, looks like tectyl wins at the moment. I bought it by the 4 litre tin (that supr cheap place) and filled my main channels with the stuff before letting it drain out and then coating the outside. Does look awful, just like rust but as I said when dry spray over on the outside with silver paint and your trailer will look like new.

sam

Navi
04-02-2006, 09:29 AM
where do you get Tectyl from and can it be put on a tralier that has been coated with galv paint the rust is just starting to show stain marks??

Cheers Chris 8-)

seatime
04-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi, if rust is starting to show thru you might need to clean it up a bit first (wire brush,blasting etc) then rust converter then whatever your prefered protective coating. Or rip it all back and start again. After that coat with tectyl or other stuff as they only really protect from corrosion not treat it. regards

Sahara53
04-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and am impressed so far. My question is does this Tectyl also protect the split pins on the rollers. I noticed on my now 2yo Dunbier that all the split pins are now rusted and in need of attention.

billfisher
04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Tectyl would help protect the split pins, though you might just be better off replacing them with stainless steel ones.

seatime
04-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Denso tape (grease impregnated cloth rolls) is good for wrapping around split pins, nuts, threads and sticky outy bits if you can't afford SS, you can even blob paint over it if you're careful. The grease on the outside of the tape goes hard enough to hold the paint if left in the sun for a while. When you peel the tape off years later it's like brand new underneath, even after going underwater alot.

fishin_till_late
04-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I still think its also a good idea to give your trailer a spray after every trip when you hose your boat down aswell as a protective coating.

Dignity
05-02-2006, 10:11 AM
gelsec, now theres an item I haven't seen for years, my last trailer I denso taped the axle and springs, never had a problem after that

sam

Dignity
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
ok - we've got the trailer covered - what's best for the brake discs and pads

sam

coxy
05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Lucky I've got a wise old bugger for a father in law.

Dignity that was my next question. The discs & pads will need a bit of looking after so is that just a constant maintenance issue or is there a proctectant out there on the market that could help??

billfisher
05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
The pads look after themselves but this discs will rust if the rig is not towed for a while. I know one trailer manufacturer recommends spraying the discs with WD40. When the trailer is used again the WD40 will burn off and the breaking will not be affected.

Dignity
06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
billfisher - that wd40 is good stuff - have some details on it somewhere - how it was developed, what it was good for etc, if I find it I will post it - agree that it will burn of but the hardest part is washing them in the first place. I finally got off my butt and made a nozzle to clean in around corners - found a brass hose nozzle I wasn't using, unscrewed the nozzle part, cut off the end then jammed in a piece of copper tubing - at the moment it is a bit long but I amtrying different lengths - will post a pic as soon as the camera batteries are charged up

sam

Dignity
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
here is Mark 1

Dignity
06-02-2006, 05:58 PM
close up of the actual nozzle - you can see where the nose of the nozzle was screwed on - works a treat, thought I might have to crimp the end to get a better spray pattern but for the moment this will suffice until I play around some more

sam

borisdog
06-02-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm for Tectyl as well. Got it on my trailer and also on the Aircon condensor unit mounted on the flybridge of my 36' boat. Not a scrap of rust on it after 5 Years - reapply once a year.

johnnytheone
08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Wot's "Tectyl"? A mate of mine dissolve lots of grease in petrol and the brushes it over springs and hangers etc; that seems to work well as it penetrates well and once the petrol evaporates it leave a good oily film. I reckon the old fish oil is v.good too, and cheap.

John

Cruiser
09-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Another vote for Tectyl here. #I think the stuff I use is Tectyl 506 and it wasn't very expensive for 4 litres (from Super Cheap Auto). #A tin of that size will last ages.

Johnny, Tectyl is made by Valvoline and is described as a wax based polymer that cures to a dark amber coloured, waxy transparent film.

In the 4 litre tin it is very thick. #You could brush it straight on to the trailer or if you've got a spray gun just thin it with turps and spray it on.

I used it on an old rusty sailboat trailer I had and it seemed to soak into the rust and prevent further decay. #Would be better to wire brush off the loose stuff first though.

Chris.

familyman
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Just wondering does anyone do anything for the parts that are not gal ie bolts etc as I have always believed that the gal is a sacrificial coating and should not be sealed thereby accelerating non gal corrosion ?
:-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
Or am I talking out of my butt? ;)
cheers jon