PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke issue

Swerve
23-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi All,

Have recently just purchased my first motor boat (had a small yacht previously) a Quintrex Freedom Sport 480 with a 2 stroke 70hp Yamaha, bought new November 2005.

Just had my 1st 10hour service and been informed of the following problem. They advised I have a lot of corrosion around the cylinder block and spark plugs which is unusual for such a new outboard. After the 2nd time I used it I noticed a lot of saltwater residue on the block and I sprayed WD40 and have been since.

Because the dealer I bought it from was booked out for a month, I had to get it serviced by another shop. So I am about to discuss it with my dealer I purchased it from and arnt to sure what I should be asking for.

At no time have a swamped the engine or placed it in any condition that salt water would get under the cowling !. The service people said there may be a engine leak spaying saltwater under the cowling. If this was so it would probably only show under a load, not when testing with ear muffs.

What to people think my chances are of getting Yamaha to stop any leaks, prevent corrosion (HOW ? replace affected parts !!! Treat ??? DON’T KNOW) etc.

Any advice welcomed

Steve

HarryO
23-01-2006, 09:05 PM
G'day Steve...

2 months old?

10 hr service just done?

Obvious leak there somewhere.

Its not normal, & tell em you're not happy.

Should all be fixed under warranty.

Keep us informed..

mark221263
23-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi Steve, I had a 70 yamaha that was on a boat I bought that was about 7 years old and had only done 70 hours when I got it. it had been well looked after by a retired guy.
I then added another 100 hours over 4 year period.

When sold that outboard ran and looked like new. I sold it to a mate 2 years ago and it is still like new under the cowl.

I'd be onto yamaha to fix the problem and return things to as new as it should not be in the state you say after such a short time and it will only cost you in resale later.

There a great model and hard to beat in the std carb 2 stroke family for that hp.

Cheers Mark

Swerve
24-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks for your replies. A little stressed as I had to go to another service department (Yamaha trained techs) but I'll pick the boat up today and over to the dealer.

Not really knowing what is normal it's good to here it hear. Yes, i am worried about the resale value and already told the missus that it could be a reason to trade up sooner then expeceted in 1-2 years rather then the planned 3-5.

Thanks

Steve

nodjule
24-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I have no doubt they will try and stuff you around, once these sharks get your money they dont want to know you, make sure you stand your ground on this one Swerve, I had a warranty argument with a particular dealer in Darwin recently, I refused to lie down for these morons, inform them how small the boating fraternity is with the advent of the internet, trust me they will come around.

Good luck and don't let them pull the wool over your eyes, do not accept a bandaid solution either, your motor is brand new and should look that way for years if you baby it.

Cheers and beers.

Swerve
24-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I called the dealer today and it came out why I never took it to them for teh 10hour service. After I said your receptionist said they were booked out untill early Feb and I went elsewhere. They gave me the sop story that another service shop work cannot be covered by warrenty blah, blah.

I jave a meetin with the service manager today after I collect it from the otehr service agent. They seem quite helpfull. But my concern lies in that if the corrosion has already got into the metal the only way to fix it, is to replace the affected parts. I get the feeling they will try and say this is normal and send me on my merry way, the comment by Mark221263 is good to know as a normal engine after many years use should have noe to little corrosion ! Not 10 hours old!!!

Will let you know how I go today :-/

Steve

Hagar
24-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Steve

If you do not do any good with the outlet that sold it to you ring Yamaha service dept. direct in Brisbane . Yes , they get people wanting everything for nothing sometimes but if you have a genuine issue and approach them the right way they should help . You could always suggest this course of action during your meeting with the agent so he knows he cannot bulls...t you .

Swerve
24-01-2006, 07:08 PM
All,

Picked up the boat from other service department. They believe the leak is coming out from around the thermostat, not sure which gasket as there are two. They have also cleaned teh engine so no salt residue to show where.

When straight down to the delear and met with the manager. Showed him where the other service department said the leak was. Also explained need the boat for the weekend as we are going away.
The manager said to use it this weekend and make notes where the leak was coming from. Attached is a picture and I've been told the leak is that top left corner of the cylinders, little separete metal peice. Have taken lotsa detailed photos to capture before and after the weekend.

As for saltwater residue around teh engine, the manager said not to worry, he may be right as it has all been cleaned off and the original picture painted by other service department gave me a little scare.

Will post more photos of the leak after the weekend, will also try and get it in action wit the cowling off, weather and conditions permiting.

Steve

TheSaint
24-01-2006, 07:27 PM
If you do not do any good with the outlet that sold it to you ring Yamaha service dept. direct in Brisbane.

then on to consumers affairs..

Swerve
25-01-2006, 07:05 AM
If you do not do any good with the outlet that sold it to you ring Yamaha service dept. direct in Brisbane.

then on to consumers affairs..

I just like to add that the dealer has done nothing wrong to date and has been most helpful. If the dealer dosnt not come to party, I know which line I shall take to get this fault recticfied. But I dont want any slagging of my Yama dealer salesperson and service manager who has been most helpful. Sure, if it goes the other way I'll be first in line.

Steve

Swerve
31-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Hey All,

Took the boat away on the weekend and took some photos after ONE DAY of use. You can see the top of the engine in salt encrusted. Earlier in this post you can see how clean it was !

The dealer called me today advising they cannot find any leaks and think the transducer may have been to low. They have moved it and also asked for the photos of the engine when planning.

Fingers crossed this fixes my problem. They advise me not to worry as it has a two year warranty. That’s great for the first two years and when I go to sell it will they offer me some consolation money

I work in a industry where faults are my normal business. It is a process of elimination so if this fixes it great, otherwise we keep looking.

Attached are some photos.

Steve

Swerve
31-01-2006, 05:22 PM
And more

Swerve
31-01-2006, 05:24 PM
And again

Swerve
31-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Motor whilst planning

Swerve
31-01-2006, 05:29 PM
two month old !!! >:( spark plug corrosion

finga64
31-01-2006, 06:08 PM
mate, if it's the transducer why is all the salt on the top of the motor and how did it get in under the cowl??
Somebody maybe trying to pull your leg a tad :-?

Swerve
31-01-2006, 06:14 PM
After boating on Friday, me mate and I discussed this at length over a few beers. Where the air is sucked in on the cowelling there is no foam or nothing to stop water coming in. As soon as water does come in it would touch the engine block and evaporate. Hence why most salt is on top of the block.
In the photos of the planning hull, there are water droplets on the starboard side, port side photo not shown has very little. Still if I still get this much salt in next time out I shall be knocking on my dealers door.

The hard part is confiming if it is a engine issue or spray issue of the hull. Can only wait and see. The dealer is working with me. They did a load test in the workshop and no leaks. They have offered to do a water test and we shall see how the transducer move goes.

Steve

finga64
01-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Hey Steve,
Just another thought [smiley=bulb2.gif] What stops the briny water going into the big hole that sucks all the air in the make the motor go?? Ie what stops the motor sucking in wet, salt ladden air???

Does the motor have a prefilter or airfilter on the front of the carbies??

I know motors can take a little bit of moisture and in fact some motors have water injection to make it run a little cooler and to keep carbon deposits off everything internally.

Just another thought, maybe warped, maybe not.
Cheers Scott

Swerve
01-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey Steve,
Just another thought [smiley=bulb2.gif] What stops the briny water going into the big hole that sucks all the air in the make the motor go?? Ie what stops the motor sucking in wet, salt ladden air???

Does the motor have a prefilter or airfilter on the front of the carbies??

I know motors can take a little bit of moisture and in fact some motors have water injection to make it run a little cooler and to keep carbon deposits off everything internally.

Just another thought, maybe warped, maybe not.
Cheers Scott

On the cowling there is a hole on the rear which lets air in. There is no foam or direction change stopping the water cming in. the air intake on the engine is on the front of the engine an has a plastic cover and I asume a air filter inside.

Does anyone know if the cowling should have a foam insert or something to stop water actualy getting in ?

Steve

blaze
01-02-2006, 10:03 AM
most outboards that I have seen have no purifying system to clean the air, thats why on some cats they fit hoses to the cowl to pick up clean DRY air. I would be concerned that the salt was indeed entering the air intake.
cheers
blaze
ps
dont jump to conclusion on my thoughts but check it out.

Oldyella
01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
It looks to me like a leak from inside the cowling. Like from where the indicator tube comes out of the block. The cowling is mass produced and has a seal, and made to extact tolerances. This doesn't seem like a common problem. It looks like a leak from cooling system... pumped water. The only way to find out where #it's comling from is to run it at reasonable speed with the cowling cover off. You should , howver be able to go the the website and view the parts make up of the motor tocheck for any missing foam

link to parts http://www.usboatsupply.com/Yamaha_Outboard_Electronic_Parts_Catalog.php
There are a few foam bits there.

Boblee
05-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Have been tossing up whether to pay more for a 50 hp Yamaha 4 stroke or stick to the cheaper but reliable Honda so will be keeping my eye on this thread. My only experience with a Yamaha dealer was in Darwin and that was definitely not good. There is a problem here and it should be fixed by a dealer under warranty end of story.
Bob

Swerve
07-02-2006, 02:48 PM
All,

As mentioned in my last post the dealer believed the Transducer was low and causing to much spray, to be sucked into the cowling air intake and evaporating when touching the top of the engine leaving the salt residue.

Went out fishing on Botany Bay Sunday morning and it was reasonably calm, little chop later on in the day. Whilst planning at 35-40km/hr still have a small rooster tail from teh transducer and a little spray droplets on the cowling. No where as much as before. After washing the boat, checked under teh cowling and it was clean. I'll agree the engine has no leaks and the salt has been coming from the transducer. I am still concerned how much spray will come in, in rougher conditions.

As for the spark plugs, they get replaced at the 50hrs service. I'm alreay at 21hrs so will just pay for it then. I have some other warrenty issues to get fixed like upholestry tears etc.

Steve

mark221263
10-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Hi Steve, one more thing. Use plenty of INOX every 2 or 3 trips and it will still look like new in 10 years.

Cheers Mark