PDA

View Full Version : Best all weather boat cover - #poly 4.1?

Tony_N
08-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Bit of a cash-flow problem has caused me to rethink how I might house my new boat. #I want to keep the sun off it, the rain out of it, #and not encourage condensation and green mould. It is a tiller steer and so the screen/cc can't be used to tent a cover.

I think a cover is my best option - question is, which brand/material for the cover?

thanks

Tony

PS would like to think that any cover I bought might also function as a travel cover

finga64
08-02-2006, 02:41 PM
getting closer matey [smiley=smug.gif]

Have you had a talk to Watsons or whos' that big upholstery guy in Woodlark St near the Uniting church??

Tony_N
08-02-2006, 02:51 PM
G'day Finga #- Mate, first to answer one of my questions again - you're a truck!

yeah - the other upholstery place is # Denny's. #No haven't asked them yet but will today -Just today got an idea how much it would cost me to put up a shed #and gutter crossing :o #

Was wondering if the things in Bias catalogue are the way to go - or if was better to get something custom made. #Most materials seem to sweat or rot - so put this post up to find out what people have found to be the most successful.

cheers

Tony

MODIFIED:
Local upholsterer will do PVC for $6-700 fitted

Bias does a Marine grade canvas for $350

finga64
08-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Are these the one your looking at??

http://www.biasboating.com.au/covers_boat_outbrd.html

If you want to have a gander at one there's a Bias about 4 minutes off the highway on your journey north or south at Slacks Creek.

PVC would sweat a lot won't it??

Cheers Scott

Tony_N
08-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, those are they. I agree, #i reckon the PVC might not be the best idea because it would sweat for sure - probably last longer than the polyester marine canvas though. #I reckon I might be able to afford the shed in a year if I save my bickies, #so this thing might not have to last too long. #Surprised that ( or it would seem that) more people don't use boat covers.

Leo_N.
08-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I went and bought the biggest tarp that I could. It may not be as pretty or act as a travel cover, but at least it covers the side of the boat.

nodjule
08-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I am going through the custom made cover thingo at the moment and wish that I never bothered.
After dropping my boat off to get the cover made at a local canvas place 2 weeks ago I decided to ring up today to check up on its progress I copped this bewildering comeback,Quote I have not started on it yet, to which I replied, I really need the boat for fishing on the weekend and reminding him that he has the boat in his shed for 2 weeks, his reply was, Quote.. that is not my fu%kin problem mate, you are more then welcome to come and pick your fu#ckin boat up right now if you fu#kin wish.
To say I was totally shocked is a major understatement, I can hear you guys saying I would of raced down there and grabbed the boat straight away, I didn't because I would of had to then tow the boat around to 5 other places getting quotes then booking it in maybe next week or the week after, that really does not benefit me one little bit, and this rude prick also has a $200 deposit.
I have had it up to my back teeth with these tree dwelling halfwits that stuff you around because they are to daft to run a small business with any semblance of pride or manners.
I have dwelled on what I should do all afternoon on what I should do and am still none the wiser, take it somwhere else or leave it where it is and get it back late this week or early next week, "fingers crossed"

Sorry Tony N this hasn't ansewerd any of your questions but it has pissed me off no end.
Truthfully what would you guys do ???????

bushbeachboy
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi Tony,
At one stage I had one of those temporary carports from $uper Cheap. From memory it was about 6m x 3m and cost either 199 or 299. The cheap tarp only lasted one year, but it was a cheap and effective boat cover for that time. I bought another cheap tarp to put over it and that lasted about another year. By that time the frame had rusted so I dumped the lot, but it was well worth it.
Cheers mate

Fishin_Dan
09-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Tony,

Would you finances cover a "Carport" rather than a complete shed? They are dead simple to build yourself, and you can get the parts REALLY cheap too!

Slab of concrete, 4 posts, a couple of roof supports, whatever roof material you want to use.... Easy :D

Tony_N
09-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks Dan

The financial woes were really only part of the problem. Yeah I could build a carport but I would have to do it without local council approval.
To fit on the side of my house aesthetically it would need to be only about 7ft tall which would not comply with council regs. I also need to put in a culvert (?) crossing which requires council approval and they do inspections and I don't want them nosing around a half-built illegal structure.

I suspect that what will happen is that I'll get round to legally putting the gutter crossing in this year and quietly build a little roof next year. I have built a house and lots of house extensions - so am not worried about the compexity of the job.

In the meantime I'm just checking on the best 1 or 2 year option. I like the idea of a cover because it can double as a travel cover which will provide some measure of security on camping trips.

thanks everyone for your input.

Tony

trilogy
10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Tony
Have you considered using some 90% shade cloth, you can cut to size have the edges stitched or use a standard sewing machine, just use somthing like C size nylon rod binding thread and add some eyelets, the idea is to allow the air to circulate in the boat keeping leaves, cats and such out and not trapping moisture to cause mould. It does let some water through so just keep the nose up to drain normally, this method is popular in the tropics and with enough eyelets is not a problem to leave on while towing.

Regards
Adrian

Tony_N
10-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Great idea Adrian

I'll look into this today. Had it in my mind that i needed to keep the water off the boat- but of course this isn't necessary at all. # I wonder if shade cloth can be "stitched" by heat ie doubled and heated to join?

Tony

88fishframe
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Tony, in a previous thread I posted a pic of my boat with 90% shade cloth - professionally done but a diy job for your size boat wouldn't be a problem.

Tony_N
10-02-2006, 12:46 PM
88 - found the thread #- great job - will look nice in blue #::). #Tempted to get it done professionally after seeing your pic - thanks for taking the time to post it.

Tony

BTW in your previous posts you said this was 100% UV protection and on this thread you say 90%. I'm guessing the rating in the previous post was a mistake?

Roo
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Tony,
I bought one of the Stearns Canvas boat covers from bias last year. Used it once for a trip to rainbow beach from tweed coast. worked fine. cost $270. but as you may realise "one sizes fits all" really fits nothing very well. ropes ties the sides down to the trailer and webbing straps across the top tighten it up. A simple elastic hem at he bottom will keep it in place whe it's just sitting in the back yard. Fine for keeping out the rain, you just need to make a little tent in there and the water beads off.

There is a cheaper ($55) version using a breathable fabric. WARNING "Not Suitable For Towing"... :-? One of my mates has used his for regular trips with no dramas, The trick is to tie a few webbing straps over the top of the whole she bang and bob's your uncle. cheap and cheerful. combine with tarp for home storage and you have a cheap option which will be ok. ;) for a while :P

A custom cover in marine canvas was going to cost $600 and was told not to use while towing. :-[ but they look the goods and have a very neat (fitted) finish.

The tarp idea ok for storage but i wouln't tow with it. beware of loose flapping edges. they will mess up your boat/motor paint work very quickly.( i know your getting poly but it still scuffs)

Custom made from shade mesh would be my choice if you plan to do many long trips requiring a travel cover. shouldn't be any more than a canvas one and the material is as tough as nails.

Cheers, Roo