PDA

View Full Version : Webster Twin Fisher 5.2 Half Cab

I_hate__work
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I have been given permission from the Chief financial advisor to get a new boat.(After I sell some land). I am very keen to get a webster twin fisher 5.2 Half Cab I have done a lot a research and after a lot of options I think I will get one. The only rule is that it is to have a toilet ( a fair trade ) and a berth for the kids after a good day out fishing. My question to any other boatees and webster owners is, can the 5.2 half cab be fitted with a porta potti and is the boat as good as the reports say.

The main reason I chose a webster is the stability the boat seems to offer while at anchor, one of my boys gets sea sick but loves the water. I have been to the websters web site and seen the movies clips and I am very impressed with the boat.

any advise would be grateful as I know every one has their opinion.

Mark

DR
06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
i'd go back to the Webster site & ask them, or better, still get the phone number & ring & speak to someone. as the manufacturers they should be able to give the info..
cheers

Nick_Currey
06-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I would be contacting them and arranging a test drive in a demo model. You wouldnt buy a $40k car without a drive?? That way you will really get to see it in action.

suttos
06-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi Mark,

I have looked at the twin fisher 5.2m myself and was supprised by the price increases of late. The average show pack was $39990. A 4/ cost 4-5K more and then its still a bare boat really. Great concept agree with you in every aspect however, consider this,

5.7m Tabs Ocean series plate boat is stronger in design and will give you the bunk room that you need , it is possible to put a shitter in and to my supprise the boats stability is as good as a twin fisher..

My tabs is being built this week and should have it in a fortnight. Comes with, electric anchor winch, S/S rocket launcher, bimbi type top and clears $2k worth of fishfinder and gps VHF radio and cdplayer, all safety gear, removable kill tank, live bait tank,135 optimax merc, berth infills, six rods and reels and on a tandem trailer with spare for under $50K.

To get the same in the twin fisher it will work out more than $50K. Iknow that they ride well but they have the old traits of a sharkcat ie. hull steer etc. Still only 5.2m. and you definetly wont get a dunny or bunks that the kids can sleep in.

When I enquired I couldnt even get a decent photo of a cuddy cabin let alone test drive one, was offered a test run in a runabout. The single motor is a great concept and I was realy impressed with this inovative style boat but at the end of the day I paid the deposit on the TABS.

Food for thought

Shane

grex
07-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Mark I have a friend with a 4.6 Webster Runabout & carries a porta pottie. Will contact her & suggest she responds to your post

Geoff

insideout
07-02-2006, 03:20 PM
mark, once you go cat , you never go back!

I_hate__work
07-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Guys
Thanks you all the replies so far, unfortunatley getting a test in a boat is hard as they are made to order. In Mackay there is a dealership but as soon as a boat arrives it is sold or it is on order for someone.
Shane-thanks for the details you gave I have seen the Tabs and they seem a great boat. I don't really know what to get definatly but just the thought of having permission from the boss to get a bigger boat is giving me a woody so I am looking round and will consider looking at all makes. I have been a glass person and like the ride, but now alot of boats are out and the pros and cons are alot to think about. In the end I will have to make my decision and be happy.
I still like cats but they are heavy and most have 2 motors which is alot these days considering the cost of fuel.
Mark

DR
07-02-2006, 04:37 PM
ask the dealer to get/put you in touch with someone who has one similar in the area.
most webster ownwers are pretty approachable & would probably give you a ride in theirs...
if he wants a sale he has to make a bit of an effort..

insideout
07-02-2006, 06:01 PM
from all the websters i have seen they all have one outboard and a small aux . i have known a webster twinfish owner and spoke to him about it and he absolutily loved it. but inthe end all you can do is keep trialing different boats until you find whats best for you. good luck mate!!

Reel_Lady
08-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Mark

I have a 4.6 Webster runabout and I now take a porta potty with me.

It sits in the runabout under the dash and is there if required. #Very convenient and easy to empty and reset up. #When I first put it on board no one thought it would be used and it would be just take up valuable space. #Wrong! #Not that it is used very often but it is there if required.

I love my Webster for its stability, loads of space and great fishing platform if you get one you wont be disappointed.

As soon as I had a test run in one, I was sold. #On the rough day I took it out, it laughed at the chop and this was one of things that made me think, this is the boat for me.

insideout

You mentioned that most Webster owners also have an auxillary motor, do you know what HP?

Regards

Claire

I_hate__work
08-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Reel_Lady
Thanks for your comment
What size motor do you have on yours.
I am looking at a 4.6 bowrider.

I have been contacted by the local dealer who told me that he is getting a boat soon and will contact me for a test run.
He also has a 5.2 coming will try that out also
Will keep all posted.
Mark

insideout
08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
reel lady

the ones i have seen are 15 -25 hp. depends if you do have a breakdown, how fast you want to get to saftey, and how big and heavy your boat is.

88fishframe
08-02-2006, 07:55 PM
If you're interested in speaking in person to a very experienced Webster owner, 5.0m centre consul, give my good friend Alan Gurney a call. He owns the Karumba Post Office [don't have a phone number offhand, but you'll track him down]. Tell him Dave Randall suggested you call him.

He'll give you a very unbiased run down on these boats - he might own one, but he's very honest.

8-)

grex
09-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Mark I have the 4.6 Runabout with a 70hp 2 s . I tested with the 60hp 4s & felt 60hp ( forget the 4 s bit) was just too low if carring a large load or you need that extra bit of grunt when riding up th back of a wave . It's better to have power in reserve than just enough

Many 4.6 are sold with 60hp 4s inc Claire's boat . but they can relate their own story

Geoff

I_hate__work
10-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks for your replies so far
Went to Local Marine shop and had a good look around a 5.2 Cuddy cab. Unfornunatley it wasn't decked out yet. I am very impressed with the boat hull. will look forward to test running when ready. I am surprised with how much room there is. I am strongly in favour so far of getting one but will test drive first.

Mark

DR
10-02-2006, 04:56 PM
one thing to keep an eye on is that they use (or did on mine) >:( cheap wire staples on the underside of the floor to attach the carpet. go rusty & cause a bit of electrolysis (spelling) need something different or something between the staple and the aluminium & galvanised tek screws to fit fuel tank, electrolysis again, my tank is off being repaired as i write.. :'(...totally cheapens what is a fantastic boat