PDA

View Full Version : water pump replacement - Done, move on folks  

Mantaray
11-02-2006, 07:27 AM
what grease do you use when replacing a water pump?

krazyfisher
11-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Before installing the pump. grease the seal and the hole where the heater pipe o-ring seal enters the pump body as well as the top mushroom seal that seats under the head. This is important to seat them properly. The best grease to use is silicone or a clear synthetic grease, although RTV or petroleum grease will work as well. One tip is to grease the paper gasket, which helps hold it against the block without shifting. By the way, no gasket sealing material is required: these merely help to hold it in place. Do NOT use shellac or any other gasket sealers.

this is of course for the water pump in a car and some brands do tell you to use a gasket sealer
or read this http://www.boatus.com/cruising/tomneale/tip_44.asp

Castrol Water Pump Grease
Stiff, smooth lime based grease with excellent water resistance ensuring unbeatable sealing properties in water pumps.

hope it helps
a few question
what sort of water pump and what is it being used for

Mantaray
11-02-2006, 08:39 AM
outboard

blaze
11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
I use rubber grease, Its probable wrong but Ive never had a problem with it. My view with all rubber products is to use rubber grease and not minereal based grease.
cheers
blaze
ps
ive taken the bait

finga64
11-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Your a bit naughty blaze #;)
I use silicon grease that you use with pool pump seals etc and I use a smidge of neverceize on the shaft.
'ere we go again :D

Mantaray
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
all done might have to give a few weeks notice in future ;D

as they say i did it my way ;D

must be a slow day? appears to be some mia's