PDA

View Full Version : Which motor Yammy or tohatsu

Boblee
11-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Looking for a motor in the 50-60 hp range for my power/sailor (when I get it) a Macgregor 26 and have narrowed it down (I think) to the Yamaha F60C four stroke or the Tohatsu TLDI 50.
Boat is about 1300kg empty in power mode but motor is to be used mainly as a standby or emergency. Have not heard one person knock the Tohatsu especialy the TLDI but am concerned about the high electrical dependance (water pump and electronics) and low batteries also the future of two strokes in lakes etc. The Yammies were my first choice but have heard and seen a lot of negatives, especially dealer response and expensive repairs also would the four stroke have the grunt of the Tohatsu.
Any suggestions.
Bob

Wild_Thing
11-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Next time you see someone being towed in have a look at whats powering the rescue boat!
the rest is up too you!
Cheers Payney!
P.S does the name SUZUKI ring a bell

Pointyfish
11-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I've had Yamahas on every boat I've owned and have never had a problem. Here in WA all commerical boats use Yamaha including rescue boats. The yammy 4stk would have more balls then the hatsu.

joey_1987
12-02-2006, 05:29 AM
Hey, Tohatsu TLDI = direct injection 2 stroke. Though a motor is rated for the same HP, their torque curves will differ especially for a 2s vs a 4s. 2 strokes develop more torque than a comparable 4 stroke. That being said, go for a 4 stroke with a big displacement. Yamaha just added EFI to their 50,60,70hp 4 strokes, an excellent addition. If it is pushing a heavy load, you would want a high thrust or bigfoot model outboard, designed to give more torque. Yammie or Honda or Suzuki for 4 strokes, you can't really go wrong these days. You will wonder if the motor is even running, so quiet! Joey.

rumy1
12-02-2006, 06:20 AM
I would go for the 2 st because you only want it for emergencies so you'll be carrying around a much lighter motor and it cost alot cheaper to buy. It'll be reliable because it's new.
Makes sense to me ???
If you were buying the motor for a run-about which was used all the time then I would say 4st for sure !
Get a 2st Yammy !

Boblee
12-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for that have heard that the Suzuki is a very quite and light motor so will have another look there. Weight wise the yammy is 10 kg heavier than the Toho but the Honda is the lightest (and cheapest) of the lot. Yammy do make a bigfoot version in their efi range for only $150 extra. I really liked the idea of the Tohatsu but it looks like the 60 hp Yammy is the go, the company backing and dealers seem to be the biggest problem.
Bob

nevd
13-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I would recommend 50 or 60 Evinrude Etec as they don't have the need for large starting batteries like most if not all other Fuel Injected engines. Their very large charging capacity would be an advantage on a sailing boat. The decreased starting battery size would more than make up for the lower Tohatsu TLDI engine weight. The 50 TLDI is also a poor performer (WOT power) compared with a carburetted 50 Tohatsu.

I believe Mercury Verado are the only 4 stroke outboard which can run high enough oil temperature to drive off water in the engine oil. This means 4 strokes are good for commercial applications but not for stop start light duty pleasure applications unless you drain the engine oil very frequently.

Also, if you plan to run much electronics with a Tohatsu TLDI, you will need to be selective to ensure the electronics can handle the ripple voltage the Tohatsu charging circuit (yes not only 50 TLDI A model, but also B model) can put into the battery.

noluck
13-02-2006, 08:23 PM
YAMAHA

Richo1
14-02-2006, 03:11 AM
Yamaha