PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Advice Please

Mogwai
13-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Would my fuel be ok as it has been sitting for about 2mths, should I just use it as weed killer or would it still be ok to use, It is in a 25ltr tank but there is only about 10ltr in it.

Thanks
Mogwai

2iar
13-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Personally, I'd top the tank up with premium and go for it. Alternatively tip it in the car.

Depends on what sort of motor you have and how precious you are about it, but I'd regularly go 6-8 weeks without going out in the tinnie and never suffered any effects from topping up stale-ish fuel with a larger quantity of fresh.

Good luck,
Mike

Bashir
13-02-2006, 06:00 PM
top it up, she'll be right, just don't make it a habit.

Oldyella
14-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Or put a few drops of Petrol Power fuel conditioner in it just to be sure. It will rmove any varnish which may be there.

Mogwai
14-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks all
The boat is just over 3mths old and it has only just done over 10 hours it’s going in for its first Service next week. I have not used it for so long as I was trying to get into my boat and fell out and broke my ankle about 6 to 8 weeks ago down at the boat ramp and white island :( it was very funny in a way
Only think Im a little Worried about is if Water got into the Fuel as it was in the weather for about a week and then my son (6 year old ) gave it a wash for me with the hose. The motor is 40hp mercury oil injected but I did put about 200mls of oil in the first 2 tanks and about 100mls in this tank I have had a look in it but can not see water in it but im a little blind hehehehehe

Thanks
Mogwai

Boz
14-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Mogwai, sorry to hear about your ankle mate, not a very good start with the new boat at all but as we know unfortunately it happens.

In all honesty fuel should last 6-8 weeks without any problems at all but the fact that its been out in the weather and even washed would increase the likelyhood of condensation.

Why risk a brand new motor for 10L of fuel, I certainly wouldn't!!!

IF the fuel was out of the weather the entire time no probs but a boat that i owned had 3 25L plastic tanks and from experiance two weeks in the weather saw water in two tanks (the third was empty) and a waste of 50L of fuel and a trip down to the passage. Definitely not worth the effort!

Anyway good luck and I hope you enjoy your boat more in the future.

Boz.

2iar
14-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Mogwai,

Shit that's no good with the ankle mate!

If you believe there may be water in the fuel, I'll revise my opinion and agree with Boz. For 10 litres of fuel I wouldn't be risking any damage to a brand new motor even if it is unlikely. You could add a bit of metho before putting it into the car or mower (I'd probably put it in the wife's car myself :-)), but you'd be safer getting rid of it.

Good luck, it sounds like you could do with some.

Mike

Tunzafun
14-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Mogwai,

I have to agree with the others, 10l is not worth the risk, ditch it and go for premium. Lokk after the motor and it will look after you.

Ross