PDA

View Full Version : Removable seats on Fibreglass boats - OPTIONS?

cooky
12-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I was at Bias yesterday and noticed the recessed type floor seat mounts (round ones) - I've seen them used on alloy boats a bit for moving around your seat (up the front for casting, etc), but is it possible to mount these on a fibreglass floor? I know the mechanics are easy, but is a glass floor strong enough or are there special mounts to use? I only have 2 seats in my boat which is fine most of the time, but I often have 4 in the boat. I've priced up a rear seat from motor trimmer, but thought the removable seat post idea might be worth considering too - can remove the seats from rear and store in cuddy when fishing.

Just throwing around ideas and the wife and kids will start coming out occassionally - so need to do something.

2iar
12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi Cooky,

I don't know if this is an option for you or not, but yesterday I eventually got around to converting my folding rear lounge's fittings from normal hinges to table-brackets. Now, when it's a fishing rig it lifts out completely and the big esky goes in, and when it's a family day the lounge slips back on to the brackets with the little esky underneath. Takes about a minute each time I change setups without any bolting or screwing required. I don't know what the cost a of lounge would be against two seats, but this way you can even seat 3 extra people if need be.

Hope it may be of some help.

Good Luck,
Mike

cooky
12-02-2006, 05:00 PM
will be cheaper going the lounge - from memory he quoted $300 to $400. IF you can take a photo I would appreciate you posting it. Need some ideas.

finga64
12-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Have a gander at Bignick's add in the for sales. He has a lounge for sale :)

familyman
12-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Cooky I would imagine that you may not have enough depth under the deck for one of the hole type mounts.That would be the first thing to check.If so then get ones with as big a diameter as possible to reduce leverage on the fastenings.If your deck does not move when you walk on it then it should be ok provided the diameterof the mounts is bigger than your foot ie less leverage.Personally I think the lounge is the go or a large ice box with a padded lid.
good luck.
cheers jon

cooky
12-02-2006, 08:38 PM
have a large esky, but not that comfortable for a social day out. passengers tend to like a back rest. I was more asking out of interest than anything, because I plan to go for the lounge - but still after options for the lounge. I'll treat the removable seat pedastal idea as knowledge fior the future.

2iar
13-02-2006, 09:14 AM
will be cheaper going the lounge - from memory he quoted $300 to $400. IF you can take a photo I would appreciate you posting it. Need some ideas.

No worries Cooky - it'll have to wait til the weekend though.

If you go this way, don't forget to factor in the cost of the backrests. I didn't have to since the boat came with them.

Good luck,
Mike

2iar
13-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi again Cooky,

I've found the thread from where I was asking a similar question, and Ausfisher MOZ helped out. My setup is pretty similar to his. It'll save me taking photos and give you an idea quicker:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1133147299/11#11

Good luck,
Mike

Grand_Marlin
13-02-2006, 11:27 AM
G'day Cooky,

Familyman is spot on with his advice.
Also, lightly sand / scuff the floor and use plenty of Sikaflex 291 to hold it in place. #Use a large guage stainless screw - 12 or 14g or even coach screws of about 1 1/2 " long. #Ideally you would want about 8 of these in each one.

If it is of any use to you, I have a reasonable folding lounge that I dont need.
It is White / Blue trim and is 1575mm wide.

Cheers

Pete

cooky
13-02-2006, 01:49 PM
If it is of any use to you, I have a reasonable folding lounge that I dont need.
It is White / Blue trim and is 1575mm wide.

Since my boat is white and blue - it certainly may suit. Have you got a photo of? I'll have to measure up, but it should fit no worries as my boat is pretty wide (2.4m) to outside.

Grand_Marlin
13-02-2006, 10:23 PM
I will take a photo tomorrow for you Cooky, sorry I didnt get back to you earlier.
It is out of a 2150 Mustang, so it may go close to fitting.

It is in reasonable condition, but not brand new...
You are welcome to it if it is any good for you.

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
14-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry Cooky, been flat out today... pic is coming.... promise.

cooky
14-02-2006, 09:39 PM
thanks mate, I'll run outside now and take a photo and measurements. Post in 10 minutes.

cooky
14-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi Grandmarlin - just ran out and got eaten by mossies (don't know what's going on there) to measure and take this photo.

You can see the measuring tape at 1575mm and I've marked the width on the photo.

Grand_Marlin
15-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks Cooky,
It looks like it will fit perfectly.
Here is the photo.... the seat neads a clean, but is generally in pretty good condition. It has a small cut on one edge.

It may or may not be of any use to you, but if you want it, you can have it.
I have no immediate use for it.

Cheers

Pete - 0419 263 264