PDA

View Full Version : "Quick Release" Rear Lounge

2iar
28-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi All,

I'm after some ideas on how to convert the "fastenings" on the rear lounge to something I can quickly release and take the seat out.

Basically, the wife liked the luxury of the bench so that she can lounge on it bwhile I'm fishing, and that's ok. However, when I'm heading out fishing with a mate it would be preferable if I could just quickly remove the lounge and throw in the big esky. Similarly, something quick for re-installing the lounge for family mode.

The seat is currently a fold down, which is bearable, but I lose the access to the space behind it (either side of the drainage well where the bilge pump is), and the esky ihas to sit 6 inches forward of where it could be if it was flush against the back of the boat where the lounge is bolted to. I've only got a 4.6 cuddy, so deck space is at a premium.

The lounge is currently on 4 SS hinges. The connection to the boat are 8 bolts that are really hard to get to - in a 1.5 - 2 inch gap in front of the motor well. I'm pretty sure I could get these out, but would have a job getting them back in.

The connection to the lounge are bolts straight into the underside. I could shift a few of these, but at least 2 of them are REALY tight, and I'll wreck the screw heads before I move them. Even if they were loose, it's still a tricky access and would take longer than I'd like.

Is there any clever fastening I could use that will make the task pretty easy and quick? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

MOZ
28-11-2005, 01:51 PM
2iar

My Haines re lounge comes out in seconds. Has SS right angle bracket mounted under rear edge of seat which fits into a SS slot which screws/bolts onto rear wall of boat. Gives best of both worlds!

MOZ

2iar
28-11-2005, 02:32 PM
2iar

My Haines re lounge comes out in seconds. Has SS right angle bracket mounted under rear edge of seat which fits into a SS slot which screws/bolts onto rear wall of boat. Gives best of both worlds!

MOZ

Hi MOZ,

That looks like what I'm after - could I trouble you for a pic, or do you know what the "SS slot" is called?

Fitting this to the back of the boat it would be a bit of a tricky job to do because of the limited access behind it, but if I only had to do it once it would be just the ticket.

Thanks mate,
Mike

MOZ
28-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Mike

Happy to take a few pics but might take a few days, have 3 boys in cricket training 4 nites a week so don't get home till late. Might be able to get some pics one morning.

Not sure what the fittings are called either and I can't recall seeing them in chandlery stores or catalogues but must be available somewhere.

Will post pics asap.

MOZ

2iar
28-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your help MOZ.

There's no real rush, whenever you get a chance will be fine. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks again,
Mike

MOZ
30-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Mike

Here they are, sorry pic quality is ordinary, cheapy camera doesn't like to focus up close!

This first pic is the bracket mounted to the rear wall.

MOZ

MOZ
30-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Mike

This pic is the bracket mounted on the underside of rear of seat, in picture seat is standing on its side!

MOZ
30-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Mike

My seat is big enough for 2 large bums or 3 small ones and has 2 brackets one on each end. You could add more if you feel it necessary.

dnej
30-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey moz, does the seat have legs a well for the front.
David

2iar
30-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Cheers MOZ,

They look ideal. If I can't find out what they're called, I'll just take your pics along.

I'd ideally like the underside bracket to be hinged, so I can still fold down also if required.

One last question - it doesn't look like anything secures the underside fitting to the barcket. You don't have any problems with it jumping up and out on the waves do you?

David - I'm fairly sure MOZ's lounge will have fold down legs - I think you can even see a bit of it in the pic. Mine certainly does.

Thanks again,
Mike

MOZ
30-11-2005, 04:12 PM
DNEJ David Yeah Mike is right the black thing near the seat bracket is the knob on the end of the leg. Folds out of the way for storage!

Mike The seat bracket just slides in, the seats own weight is enough to keep it in place. Has never moved in 2 years unless I wanted it out!

Hope this helps

MOZ

2iar
08-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Moz,

Just to let you or anyone else interested know that I picked these up at BCF in Keperra at the weekend. They're called "table brackets" and cost $14 per pair. They look exactlky the same as the photos.

Just need to fit them now - I've given up on the idea of hinging them, since all I'd need to do would be to remove the lounge from the brackets and rest it against the back of the boat if I wanted a fold-down-but-in-the-boat configuration. Otherwise, I'll remove it from the boat entirely when not needed, or have it set up when I do.

Thanks again for the help.

Good luck,
Mike

impulse492f
13-02-2006, 03:34 PM
2iar

MOZ

Saw this post and was wondering if you could take some more pics of your Haines with the seat in place and removed.

What model Haines by the way?

2iar
13-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Yeah no worries, I'll do it at the weekend. This post actually cropped up in another thread that's currently active and was started by Cooky. Brackets cost me $28 all up and about another $15 for the screws. Takes a minute to go from fishing mode to family mode.

It's in a 460DF - I nearly bought a 493F, but didn't since it's no longer a production model and had a Honda (I wanted a Suzuki) that couldn't be changed.

Good luck,
Mike

impulse492f
13-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah my 492F has a Suzuki 85 and now works great; it hums at 4,500 all day long. Did you but it new or 2nd hand?

2iar
14-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah my 492F has a Suzuki 85 and now works great; it hums at 4,500 all day long. Did you but it new or 2nd hand?

I bought new from Horizon Shores (now Mustang Marine). Very happy with the package, price and service. I'd recommend them.

I was looking for a new 460DF, but while I was there, they also had a 493F that I had a look at. It was one of the last ones made and was already fitted with 70hp Honda.

I wanted the biggest HP that the boat could take. It was easy to change the 460 from a 60hp (standard) to a 70hp (without adding any weight) as the motor hadn't been fitted. However, by changing te 493's motor I'd have been adding weight. In all honesty the 493 would have been better for fishing, but the wife likes the relative "luxury" of the 460 (And she had the chequebook :-)), and there were other minor considerations like the 460 is on a better trailer, it's a current model, the engine is a 2006 model etc.

Good luck,
Mike

cooky
14-02-2006, 10:23 PM
heh thanks for adding the pics and stuff - great idea for my lounge. Like the idea. I'd probably be similar in that if I didn't want the seat while fishing I'd throw it in the cuddy cabin. Still like the fold down hinge idea though

2iar
15-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi Cooky,

Glad to be of help.

The fastenings might be hard to find, but I never looked all that hard. In all honesty though, I don't think I'd ever have used the "folded-down-but-in-the-boat" configuration. It literally takes a minute to remove or refit the lounge with the non-hinged brackets, and I really only need "fishing-mode" and "family-mode". The lounge lives in the garage and is only fitted for family outings. I wouldn't bother carrying it if there's only two people in the boat (ie fishing-mode).

Good luck,
Mike