PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Locks

harry_h01
14-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Folks,

I am looking at a trailer lock to stop my trailer disappearing at the ramp etc.

I have loocked at several models and designs on the market, but my question is:

Can you tow with one fitted? # I am bringing a boat from Brisbane to Gladstone and looking at the design of these locks they will offer some added security to the towing hitch whilst towing along the highway. # My concern is, there is no real yes or no from manufacturers about towing with them fitted.

Opinions please.

Thanks in advance.

Harry

backhoe
14-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Have got one of the ones for sale on this site and tow with it on fine. Did bend it a bit once when I jack-knifed the trailer gettting it into the driveway and had to beat it back into shape. Leave it on when the boat is at home too to meet insurance requirements. Here is the link
http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer/

snakecatcher
14-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi Harry,
I have a trailer lock similar to the one backhoe has shown in the link but I seem to recall the instructions stating that you couldn't tow with it in place which wasn't a problem for me -- these might be different though. If you do go for this sort of design then you will need to get a locking bar for the towball as this type of lock doesn't prevent someone from simply removing the bar and taking the trailer, towball and your new lock! >:(

Cheers

Mike

nodjule
14-02-2006, 12:15 PM
It states on the packet it is not to be used whilst towing your trailer.

harry_h01
14-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Nodjule

I've looked at several models and brands and it is 50 / 50 as to "can be used whilst towing" recommendations on their product.

I am off to a Chandlery this afternoon to look at the one they sell. After a call to them earlier the model they sell says it can be used whilst towing.

Harry

sf17fisherman
14-02-2006, 03:08 PM
i have a lock the same as the ones you see everywhere and tow with mine without any dramas
has the right amount of slack that it can move as much as needed when towing

longtail
14-02-2006, 07:26 PM
i have a couple-mate that i use at the ramp and at home , i DO NOT tow with it however as my insurance company told me that towing with it fitted will void my policy.

If you are planning on towing with any kind of trailer lock fitted be sure to check with your insurer first , otherwise it could end up expensive if you do have a mishap.

Hope this helps

cheers
jason

falcon01
14-02-2006, 09:15 PM
I also use the couple mate and it is not that expensive and is also very effective.

harry_h01
15-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I purchased one yesterday that is approved for towing (as per the lable on the item).

Harry

88fishframe
15-02-2006, 09:27 AM
You are aware, I hope, that these trailer locks only lock onto the tow ball / tongue section? Make sure that the tongue section cannot be removed or unbolted - or else the wrong people could simply hitch up to their own tow bar. >:(

For bars with the square removable section, a cylinder lock can be purchased which replaces the cylinder or bolt as per factory. For others, a simple remedy is to purchase a high quality, that is 'high quality' snake type lock made to secure bicycles. Get a good one, from Master, or similar so they cannot easily be cut with bolt cutters. Feed through your trailer and though a place on the vehicle or towbar where it cannot be removed without being unlocked.

I speak from experience >:(

sf17fisherman
15-02-2006, 10:15 AM
checked with GIO about towing with them on and they have no dramas with the pratice and the person i spoke to had never heard of a insurer knocking anything like that back before
good advice about the hitch lock and also the tounge lock as i have seen alot with the hitch lock but leaveing the tounge as a easy target

the round cylinder types used on the square tounge hitchs cost $25

it is great haveing peace of mind while fishing and knowing that unless the whole car is stone the worst that could then happen is just brocken into

about a year and half ago i was fishing a river in the tinny and when i got back in a couple of bloke were walking around my car and they honestly said to me
" nice trailer mate, lucky you came back we were just thinking of knocking it off"
that made me change my security very quick ;)

rough_shag
15-02-2006, 10:46 AM
I have the trailer mate type lock and also got the 'PIN' lock for the Hayman Reese tongue as well.The tongue stays in all the time and the lock has a special cylinder key.The trailer mate is very easy to attach-takes 30secs-and I wouldn't tow with it fitted just in case.I think where the towing in place problem arises is when you negotiate a steep driveway/ramp etc as the angle could get too sharp and cause the lock to bind on the trailer hitch.Cheers!.Jace.