PDA

View Full Version : Trailcraft Boats

Geoff_Atkinson
13-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Has anyone in NQ had anything to do with Trailcraft boats? They seem to be everywhere in WA (thats where they're made), but very few over here. [smiley=question.gif]

suzi
13-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I am in Cairns I have a Trailcraft 6.4 Sportcab. Ive seen about 6 similar sized Trailcraft getting around in the Cairns area. If there is anything you would like to know I'll try to help out.

Get ready for the onslaught of plate boat jokes from all out there with glass.

Geoff_Atkinson
14-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Suzi,

Is yours the Malcolm Dougie special edition I have seen around? (I also live in Cairns).

The wife and myself went to WA over Christmas/New Year. We visited a couple of massive Trailcraft dealers (one owned by Trailcraft themselves I think). They are a good looking boat. I'm not in the market for a new one yet, maybe a couple of years down the track, but we both fell in love with the Sportscabs, especially the M. Dougie Spec Edition. Only trouble is that they are agents for Mariner, I'd love to get hold of one and put a 175 E-tec on the stern.

The boats are made to handle the WA conditions which, having experienced both areas mean bigger swell and far more chop than here in Cairns. In other word, if they can handle the WA conditions, they should handle the stuff over here on their ears.

Did you get yours from the local dealer? I hear he doesnt do them any more.

http://www.trailcraft.com.au/boats/models.aspx?model=660malcolm

Cheers

suzi
14-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Sea Raider,
Mine is the std 6.4 Sportcab. But minus the hard top I think I have all the extra acc covered that goes into the Mal Douglas boat.
Did it myself and saved many$$.
Last I heard Coastal marine no longer have the dealership in Cairns. Dont think anyone else has picked it up as yet.
They are a great boat, very roomy heaps of storage space but they are still only around 16 degree deadrise so I guess you cant expect the ride to be as good as similar sized glass boats with a deep vee.
But on the bright side they are very stable at rest.
Life is a compromise.
The ladder and large pod combined with the door at back make it great for us since we spend most our time in the water swimming and spearing. Also heaps of room to fish from. 3 down one side and not rubbing shoulders.

suzi
14-02-2006, 10:05 AM
My tinnie

Geoff_Atkinson
14-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Nice,

Who did you get to do your canopy?

suzi
14-02-2006, 10:21 AM
the rear frame was done by Nev at NB prop works Ph40510118
trimming and front bimini done at Tropic Trimming 40455554

suzi
14-02-2006, 10:24 AM
The rear legs slip into 2 box sections and are held on up front with 2 x bolts and wing nuts. So it comes off easy and front bimini can come off just as quick but I leave it on and fold down the rocket launcher to fit the boat under the house. A tight squeeze. 2.8M

Tunzafun
15-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Sea Raider,

I have a 5.3 Trailcraft Bowrider in Brissy and there seems to be a few of them down here. Apart from the Pod inspection port (reported on in general chat) I have not seen anything adverse about them. I had a small weld crack (not structural) and the dealer fixed it immediately under warranty (Cunninghams Marine). I agree with the stability in them but being a Bowrider you do need to put some weight up frony if there is just two pers in it. Apart from that, very happy.

Ross

wayne_cook
15-02-2006, 05:14 PM
tough boat.
great to fish out of, stable.
be prepared to get wet if not well covered.
very average paintwork IMO

suzi
15-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Cant speak for the smaller trailcraft boats but my 6.4 is a very dry ride.