PDA

View Full Version : Alluminium Boat paint, Help....

offshore_4.9
09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi Fellas, Im looking for a paint to brush on that wont cost the earth and looks good for the fishin boat. Can't be bothered spraying with two pac etc. Yes, two pac is the go.... i know however time and lots of money is the problem.
Any suggestions??

Thanx. Greg

Blackened
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
G'day greg
I know that there's a few of the 2 pac marine paints that look pretty damn good even with a brush application. Hempel and jotun come to mind.
Dave

Seahorse
09-01-2006, 09:26 PM
just hire a compressor and spray it. dont use jotun. go auto paint.

HOOKLINEnSINKER
09-01-2006, 10:00 PM
good question...just what i wanted to know. cheers
daniel

offshore_4.9
10-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Ok, thanks to all replies sofar.
What i really forgot to mention is that the inside of the boat needs to be done......Yeah ok...
I have 2 pac'd the exterior with good results, however not again.
The interior will get splattered from time to time with fish bait, guts, blood & the usual for a 5mt fishin boat.
So a paint that is good enough to brush on will do fine, well i think so.

Cheers, Greg.

88fishframe
11-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Everyone knows to etch prime the bare metal first don't they? Or else your aluminium won't last long after it reacts with the paint :-X

thumps
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
i etch primed the inside of mine...then gave it an over spray with a cheap auto paint

does the job...and it hides a multitude of scratches....it also cools the inside during hot summer days.(no burnt backsides)

after spraying two boats now....i would say...etch prime...then auto gloss the outside..wont last forever...but looks good if you look after it.

offshore_4.9
11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey Thumps, pm on the way.
Regards, Greg (offshore_4.9)

88fishframe
11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree with thumps, just done my 3rd boat. The more coats with an auto enamel the better, finished by 2 or 3 coats of clear does the job. Buff back with a cutting compound and then polish for a durable long lasting finish. AAA+++. The key to making the auto paint good is the cut, buff and polish step. ;D

You can get some excellent painting tips by logging onto any of the car enthusiast chat sites [just like this one, only for cars !]. I found many threads that suggested auto enamel can be just as good as 2 pac provided you give it a few coats followed by the procedures above.

finga64
11-01-2006, 06:07 PM
And if you use enamel you can get a hardener to put in the paint. I've done a few motor bikes with that and turned out great.
If the inside gets knocked around a lot have you thought about the wrinkley stuff they spray on the stone trays and along the sill of cars. I put a bit in the paint for one of my boats and it can withstand a knock or two.
Good luck
Scott

Seahorse
11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
yes u can put 2 pac hardener in enamel. enamel dies after 6 months and this just helps a little. would never ever put it on my boat. The wringle stuff is called stoneguard. u get it in black or white.

redemperor
12-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Does anyone know what jotun is. Is it a brand of paint and if it is why wouldnt u use it. Im about to have a boat painted and I think the paint brand jotun came up. Any info would be great

offshore_4.9
15-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks to all for the info, im off to a super cheep shop, now!
Regards, Greg.

sid_fishes
16-01-2006, 01:40 PM
so with the stoneguard paint do i need to use a special gun ie bigger nozzle, and where do i source the paint from

rikitikitaka
15-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey Greg,

Have you got around to painting your boat yet. Just wondering how you went, cause I am about to repaint my boat for the first time.

Let me know.

Logan

Seahorse
15-02-2006, 08:21 PM
hey logan.

what u painting ur boat in

seatime
15-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Redemperor, Jotun is a brand of paint for marine applications like Hempel or International. I have used all these brands before in various uses and all are good. As far as I could tell price and country of manufacture are the only differences. All will comply with international standards for nasties like isocyanates, lead that sort of thing. There are excellent Australian branded paints for similar uses.

Seahorse
16-02-2006, 06:07 PM
mate had his boat painted in jotun. just redone it in hichem. it was peeling off in sheets. stoneguard has to put through a proper gun. it comes in 1.5lit cans with screw top and they screw straight on to gun. just pm me. i have it all in stock

cheers
greg

sixtyjmd
17-02-2006, 09:25 AM
A 2 pack has been sugested . Any ideas on 1 pack