PDA

View Full Version : Old fuel

hero
18-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi..I have 60 litres of fuel in my tank, mixed it in May and then have had motor problems and have not started motor since, all going well jeff Orr will get my troubles fixed next weekend, is this fuel going to have to be dumped, seems some say it will be ok, some say it will be "off"..it is unleaded 50.1 mix for 1976 evinrude 115 v4...oil was added at the time as the tank was filled. Please only respond if you are sure.

billfisher
18-02-2006, 12:25 PM
That makes it 9 months old. I would definitely dump it as it could do seroius damage to your engine. If it was a bit old (3 - 4 months) you could dilute it with fresh fuel, but I wouldn't risk it after that time.

lunar_c
18-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I am not sure - but I had a conversation with someone who was. I won't name them here, but he has dealt with broken outboards every day for a long time.

3 months is about it for modern unleaded / 2-stroke mix.
Starts to form a gel apparently.

Don't take the chance - get rid of it.

Which raises another question - how to dump it.
40 litres of premixed fuel in a hole in the ground makes an awesome fire, but I won't do it again.
None of the servo's will take it.

Ideas anyone?

finga64
18-02-2006, 04:51 PM
dump it and use it for....roundup?? ::)
How much is it going to cost to fix the outboard to start with to get it micky mouse then MAYBE stuff it up and need to get fixed again because of old fuel compared to 60l of fuel??

coasty
18-02-2006, 06:53 PM
any fuel left after a day out is straight into the wifes car. i have seen how chainsaws run rough on old fuel, some only 2 months.

The_Walrus
18-02-2006, 07:44 PM
If you're in Brisbane, give the caltex refinery a phone call. They may take your fuel, dump it into their slops tanks and the contents eventually get re-refined.

If not, makes a great all round weed (and everything else) killer - not very green though :D

Luc

hero
19-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply..this is a great site with great members...Paul (hero)) Am going to dump it.

troy
19-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Apart from how old the fuel is can you tell if it is stale like the smell of it or colour.
Troy
ps If the fuel is 4 months old and the motor is new would it do any harm to give the motor a run on the flusher before dumping it or topping it up with fresh fuel