PDA

View Full Version : loosing pressure in fuel line. hard to start.

Jordy_Barramonger
17-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a 2000 model 70 johno.

it is unreliable to start. it seems i have to pump the fuel bulb or choke itto get it cranked. this is dangerous i like to get close to reef and cast slices in for tailor and mackrel etc.

one guy recons my fuel line is too big and the expansion & contraction in hot weather makes it loose preasure, Could this be true?
or will there be something else i can do?

blaze
18-02-2006, 12:10 AM
IMO, I would replace the fuel line from tank to motor including primer bulb and end connections making sure that they are clamped or at least a couple of zip ties on each connection point. Good cheap point to start. Primer bulbs can cause all sort of unidentified problems as can perfect looking connections like at your motor
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
18-02-2006, 04:15 AM
Sounds like an Air leak in the fuel system allowing the fuel to flow back to the tank. Replacing the fuel line and bulb could be the problem.

what area do you live in Jordy.

cheers

Garry

Jordy_Barramonger
18-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Padbury W.A.
yeah i jsut pulled out the fuel line i will replace it with a new one to day.

do you live in Perth? got any gps marks for me? its hard to keep the freezer full down here compared to point samson where i just moved from.. haha.
cheers

catchy_fishy
18-02-2006, 06:52 AM
I had a similar p[roblem, and amongst other identified issues, I had a rusted nut that my fuel line kept getting caught on, in 2 hours flat it would wear through my line, and allow air in

Kept cutting out, and I had fuel P!ssing all over (tiny mist spray).

in my case I've sanded down the nut to smooth it off and cut the fuel line, refastening it now for the 3rd time - solved that part of my problem (then my fuse blew)

ahoj
18-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi
Jordy_Barramonger
Is your Air went open or closed on your tank? Make sure there is air going into the tank to allow petrol to be sucked out by the motors fuel pump.. fuel pump diaphram could be leaking or perished... after you check the
line and bulb. There could be a small fuel inline filter somwhere or at or in the pump itself...
My two bobs worth....

2DKnBJ
18-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Along with all the above mentioned i recently installed underfloor tanks.One of the tanks had some crap in it and even though i cleaned it out a few times it still managed to pick up some rubbish and block the tank connection.
Cheers Dazza

Bosunsmate
18-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a rather old "duratank" which has a plastic outlet that the fittings screw into which after many years in the sun has cracked and leaks. This prevents any constant pressure between tank and motor...

Solution is to replace the tank......another $60 into the bottomles pit..... :)

ahoj
18-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Most boats need inline filters same as in cars and i feel the standard hoses will fit. This will stop any flaking or rust and if a bigger one installed even stopping water condensation
Cheap auto has them for 7.40$
Repco with a bowl for water separation--- make sure you get spring clips to make the hoses air tight....

Ahoj

Jordy_Barramonger
18-02-2006, 09:36 PM
i have just replaced the fuel line with a smaller bore harder hose.
have tested in in the back garden left it for a while then started after 15 min then 30 seem s fine.
will take it out on the water in the morning for a good run and see how she goes,

thanks for the tips guys

jordy

arni
19-02-2006, 03:42 PM
I had same problem with 135 merc. Changed fuel filter from small in line filter to larger unit mounted under the transom.....problem gone.