PDA

View Full Version : Mercury O.B - oil tank leaking!

James_Rand
20-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Six months ago, I bought a 2000 model 4.00m tinny, 30hp 2 stroke Mercury tiller steer + trailer.
(The american model with power tilt/trim & electric start). During my 3rd outting, the buzzer went off - (a long steady b-e-e-p). Now I'm s--ting myself that its overheating and i've bought a dud motor. :( Lift cover, check head temp with my hand = only warm! I have since found out it was the low-oil buzzer! But it was 3/4 full! To be on the safe side, I then row from Fishermans Island area back to Colmslie ramp on a outgoing tide - hard yakka! Next day, the local Mercury dealer tells me the oil tank float is stuffed, I need a new oil tank (their not repairable). So I paid the $220 the dealer wanted and had it replaced. Turns out, the floats in the tanks eventually fill with oil and sink to bottom of tank - then activating buzzer!

Two hassle free months later, I check the engine this morning and find at least 300ml worth of oil leaking down the outside of the outboard leg. Take it back to dealer, to find that the new oil bottle is now leaking! (at a welded seam in the plastic just like the first one). It's under warranty and won't cost me a cent, but now I'm without the boat until its fixed! :-[ (Waiting for parts). Anyone else had this problem with oil injected 2 stroke Mercurys?

JR.

Owen
20-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I haven't had a crack in mine (touch wood) but the sender was disconnected when I got my boat.
Asked the local merc mechanic and he said it's fairly common for the tanks to crack.

cheers,
Owen

wayne_cook
20-02-2006, 09:14 PM
i've got a 90hp oil tank leaks around cap. wraped the o ring with 4 wraps of thread tape so far so good. no sign of oil eating tape yet.

davo
20-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Mate that's standard on the Merc's. I had a 75HP Mariner and it was the biggest piece of #@%%&*# I've had the misfortune to own. The oil tanks usually go for about 18months then the Stator coils, then the coils then the trim and tilt etc.....

After five Merc's and no back up from the company.... >:( >:( >:(never again

James_Rand
21-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the responses:
owen: My mechanic gave me the option of disconnecting the low oil sender and would have to save money if my first oil tank wasn't already leaking!

brrbear: a common problem according to the Mercury mechanic!

davo: I went with the merc because it was the one on the boat! I think
the basic engine is good, its just all the bits hanging off it that suck!

jr.

Oldyella
21-02-2006, 09:37 AM
The oil tanks on the new ELPTO's have a manufacturing fault where there is a self tapper that penetrates near the sender and drips. I had mine replaced after 4 hrs.
Covered by the 3 year warranty.. no questions asked.
Don't necessarily take too much notice of one or two members' frustrations with Merc/Mariners. There are many around and have been for over 40 years. Sometimes, you just get a lemon, and that also applies to the oriental jobs too. Not even a brand new Honda is 100% guaranteed not to let you down.
Stators,coils, tilt and trim units are not even related, some being electrical faults and some mechanical. They can fail early or last for 30 years. Depends on luck and good treatment.
Davo, infortunately has had some bad luck and I would react the same if my motor gave me that sort of service.

PADDLES
21-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Don't overtighten the oil cap on the little oil tank under the cowling either. I learnt this the hard way on my 1993 135 merc, the threaded part of the cap splits away from the top of the cap. It's not just a plain old cap either because it's got the level sender built in to it.

davo
21-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Mate the 1995-96 model 75-90Hp were bombs. I found they had common faults from other owners. In thirty plus years on the water including with my father as a pro fisho that was the worst outboard ever and Mercury didn't care. In addition to the prior post the people that built the trim and tilt went broke and Merc had no parts so it was a $1300 fix.

The trim angle indicator failed, the fuel primer solenoid failed, mate the electrics were terrible plus when we were towed in by Sandy Streets Coast Guard their Mariner's weren't exactly running the best either. I almost forgot the water in the gearbox twice. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

My Yammy 4 stroke has 308 hrs in three years and it's all good.