PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 90 vs Evinrude E-Tec 90

Wear_the_fox_hat
20-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Looking at buying a new 90hp outboard & like the Suzuki & the Evinrude motors at this stage, so I was wondering if anybody could supply feedback on any good or bad experiences that they may have had with them.

Thanks,
WTFH

gif
20-02-2006, 01:08 PM
There are others that are more expert than me - basically they both seem good engines.

I have been thinking about a 90hp myself and looked up the USA EPA data on these. This is what I found:

Actual Kw ( not sure how to convert this to hp)

Suzuki 66.19 kw
ETec 65.74 kw

Pollution (HC + NOX)

Etec 12.32
Suzuki 12.59

(FYI Honda is lowest 10.92, Tohatsu highest at 31.21)

Honda has a new model coming in October - the release said it would be 4 stroke, injected, lighter and cleaner than the current model. Their 4 St 50 is very light at 98kg within 2 kg of 2 strokes so the new Honda should be a beauty.

Geoff_Atkinson
20-02-2006, 01:46 PM
I've got a 90HP Etec and can't fault it.

The big thing that got me was the 3 years without a scheduled service as well as the economy. After having it for about 12 months, other things I have found are;

Quietness - I was going through an 8 knot speed zone one day and could hear a rattle at the back of the boat, I asked my deckie what the noise was and he come back with "its the ball bearing in the (Navman) fuel sender". Before that, I had never really appreciated exactly how quiet it is. I have even turned the key a couple of times, forgetting that I had already started it.

Economical - with my old 1990 model 88Hp Evinrude, I would burn about 120 litres of fuel on a return trip to Sudbury reef (off Cairns), with the E-tec, that has been down to 50. At the same time it uses bugger all oil.

Size - the motor is a lot smaller than the equilivent 4 or 2 strokes and so weighs a lot less. Less weight means less to push.

Power - I cant compare it with the Suzuki you are looking at, but it leaves the old 2 stroke for dead.

I am sure both are good motors and I am not trying to sway you towards the E-Tec, I just want to tell you the good things I have found.

Good Luck,

Geoff

88fishframe
20-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Both are good although I have heard some negative stuff as well. One thing I have learnt about outboards is that whatever you buy there will be something better that everyone will be raving about in two years time ;D

Bit like a car, pick the ones you like the most after doing some research, and then choose the one you can negotiate the best price on. 8-)

I could happily live with either of those two but remember [i.e. e-tec] that 'scheduled' services don't mean that there shouldn't be some tlc given to the motor, including impellers ect ....

sid_fishes
20-02-2006, 05:51 PM
fox, i,ve got a mate who has an etec and say,s it,s the greatest thing since sliced bread but is a bit worried about the service cost after the 3 yr period is up, me i have a 90 4 stroke suzi which a cant fault heaps of power and cheap to run. in the end i think its up to you, what you feel is right for you and your boat

Wear_the_fox_hat
21-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. Appreciated.

WTFH

joey_1987
21-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey, check www.boatpoint.com.au for engine reviews and you should find either one of both of the motors there in fact i just checked it out, here is the link http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__boatpointau/tabID__200859/ArticleID__119667/DesktopDefault.aspx you will find the suzuki is quite thirsty for a 90 4 stroke compared to the others, the e-tec is good, but the tohatsu TLDI is the cheapest-and fuel economy is on par with the honda and merc 4 strokes but better than the e-tec. The optimax has not been tested, i expect it to return better fuel efficiency than the E-tec. If i was buying, the tohatsu would be hard to go past-cheapest, uses the least fuel and is very light-only 5kg heavier than the E-tec and a lot lighter than the e-tec. Joey.

joey_1987
21-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Sorry, i meant 5kg lighter than the e-tec and a lot lighter than the optimax and other 4 strokes. Joey.

madman1
21-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I think it depends where you get your etec from. The dealership that has been looking after me checks my motor every 12 months for nicks.. I have honestly had a few problems with my 90 Hp etac but the level of service and professionalism I have recieved from River City Marine has been nothing short of perfect.

My etec is now perfect, going through bugger all fuel, quiet and doesn't mind a kick in the guts every now and then.

My next motor will definitely be an etec.

As mentioned earlier the Tohatsu may be cheaper and slightly more fuel efficient but it would need servicing every 50 - 100 hours @ circa $250 - $300 a go.

Go the Etec you wont regret it.

Come out for a spin with me and you will see why.

Cheers

Mark

madman1
21-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Doesn't Suzuki own Bombardia or Vice - Versa???

Sportfish_5
21-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Doesn't Suzuki own Bombardia or Vice - Versa???

Nope ;)

Bomb bought Evinrude and Johnson when OMC went belly up.

Suzuki did have an agreement to supply bomb with 4 stroke engines but Bomb has decided ETEC is their future and soon there will be no more 4 strokes from them (already happened in the US)

Cheers

Greg

davo
21-02-2006, 09:18 PM
The three year no services for the Etec is not quite right as Bomb does recommend annual service for higher users. Even if the dealer says don't do it, I still wouldn't leave it three years to change the gearbox oil and impeller

Rod_Bender
21-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I was only talking to a bloke tonight whom has purchased X2 90 etec's for his cat. Previous to them, he owned 2 brand new 90 Merc's. The only reason he brought the etec's was the fact he was chewing way too much fuel and got a great trade in for them. I introduced myself to him as he was wearing an Etec Rude polo and said, "Do you own one mate?" he said yeah, own 2. He then replied, their ok I guess. He said his cruising and top speed has dropped off in a big way compared to the merc's. The fuel economy isn't anywhere near what they told him it would be. I asked him why he didn't buy a yammy 4 stroke, and he said he had to pick something that was light for his transom. All other brands were much heavier. I hope this has helped. Roddy.

joey_1987
21-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey, ok 3 years service free, say one service a year at $400 (worst case scenario) you're looking at $1200 in services. The motor is already 2-3k cheaper so you have saved there. Have a look at the boatpoint review and compare the fuel usage at the same RPM of the Tohatsu and then the E-tec..and be surprised. Having read what I have read, I would say go the Tohatsu. They're built for commercial fishermen. Look at Mercury's Seapro range-a line they market for commercial users, guess who makes them? Tohatsu! My local hire boat place also uses Tohatsu's but only small ones 18-30hp on their tinny's, absoloutely faultless. Joey.