PDA

View Full Version : PFD (life jackets) Alert

flatstrap
22-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Ausfish members,
I just concluded an issue with M*****n regarding a safety item. The subject is the fastening straps of their version of a type 1 PFD.

Two weeks ago, I started my refurbishing of the Cat in prep of being on the water soon. I picked up the jackets out of the storage shelf and they just fell apart. The blue straps turning to a powder form and buckles etc. just falling off. Imagine if you were in a mayday situation, sinking fast, reach for the jackets and instead have a few foam pads to hold you up.

I contacted head office and received a terse reply assuming straightaway that it was my fault. Instant conclusion, exposed to acid or attacked by a plastic eating fungus. Send the offending jacket to us in Sydney, we'll have the CSIRO test them and we'll get to the bottom of this, blah, blah.

2 weeks later, I get an email with test results. Exposure to UV! (Sunlight!!) It then appears you may only use this product at night or indoors. Without stating the bleeding obvious, boats are used outside, aren' they?

I see Whitworths at Southport and they inform me that the same manufacturer also problems in other areas, The horseshoe type PFD yachts use are also rotting. And a child's PFD was absorbing water, etc. Relaying this to M*****n, the response is Lies, lies! The sales rep then tells me he has 'got up the sales guy at Whittys', put him straight!

I am informed M*****n will refund my money. Just take the jackets back to Whittys. I do that and find out that NOBODY has been spoken to. I have in my possession a fax informing Whittys of the issue and that I have been very very painful to deal with.

I suspect that the straps have changed in specification and are no longer resistant to sunlight. That's the real problem. Being a mandatory safety requirement, guys, check your PFD's NOW! While you're standing on your driveway looking at your lovely craft, not 25 nm NE of Moreton in deteriorating weather.

I'll post pics as the discussion evolves. Thanks all...Flatstrap

flatstrap
22-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Ausfish members,
I attach first of a few pics of the straps at the heart of the issue.
Flatstrap

PeterT
22-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Yep, watch those bloody nylon winch straps as well. I had 2 let go in 2 years at the stiching for the hook. Pretty scary when you are just about to put the chain on and the boat roars off into the drink. Try swimming out to retrieve prescious at Corroboree with its mud gekos for excitment.

pete

Bosunsmate
22-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey PeterT don't ya mean Long Nosed Short Legged Swamp Dogs or Handbags with legs...... ;D ;D ;D

warrior
22-02-2006, 05:17 PM
i have two in the boat ,never used them but i think its time to check them out ,why would a company even contemplate putting straps that are suspect to sun on something this important.

flatstrap
22-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi guys,
What really get me is the attitude of the company whereby they assumed I was hostile and out to get them. The knee jerk reactions, the snap judgements made by the Managing Director suprised me. You'd think that before you engage mouth, don't search for the truth (which is subjective), GET THE FACTS!

I have since purchased Hutchwilco PFD's made in NZ.

I still like Whittys. They are good people. They tell me that M*****n is one of their more difficult suppliers.

Can't compromise primary safety!

Adios...Flatstrap

Oldyella
23-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Reminds me of The life of Brian... #"he's uttered the word Jerhova" Stone him.... #The brand name in question is Marlin ? is it not ? No point bringing up the subject if we are going to be beating around the bush. A lot of us own one or two. Are they good or bad ?

flatstrap
23-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Guys,
Acting on advice, can't be too careful these days. As we are all aware, people use the legal system to beat each other over the head. I thought that my post made it clear as to which company is involved.

RD805, you assumed correct! I don't beat around the bush, just careful! In my experience, this batch of life jackets were definitely b--a--d! So the purpose of the posting was to remind everyone to check the condition of their PFD's especially if they purchased them in the last 24 months.

Salamat...flatstrap