PDA

View Full Version : Bar Crossing Course

marcus
20-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi guys, I just completed Bill Corten's Bar Crossing Course. I strongly recommend that if you have not had any formal training in crossing bars, then you should try his course. We had his 625 Cruisecraft in situations that would raise the hairs on the back of your neck, however, we never felt unsafe. Fantastic course and on a high a day after the course.

;D
Marcus

2iar
20-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi Marcus,

Congratulations on completing the course. Do you mind me asking how much it cost?

Thanks,
Mike

Mr__Bean
20-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Good to hear Marcus.

I too am interested in the cost, not for whether I will do the course as that is already decided, just how much to put aside.

I would also like my 11 year old son to do the theory part of the course.

- Darren

Escapee
20-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I have to agree with Marcus, this is a fantastic course. I did it a couple of years ago and it gave me much more confidence in crossing the South Passage Bar. I now regularly use the North channel and the Amity channel and I still think about the things that Bill taught me when i'm on the bar.

One of the great benifits of the course was getting to know just what a boat and its driver can do!

When i did it i think it cost about $300, and its the best money i have spent in relation to my boat and fishing! Would be interested to know what it costs now.

Escapee

marcus
22-02-2006, 12:43 PM
It cost me $360.00. We spent 11 hours on the water and completed approx 30 passes on several different bars and channels. Bill issued a pack to everybody which included GPS points and maps. Top day and I am still on a high! ;D

2iar
22-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks Marcus,

Sounds like you ha d a great time.

Just one last question - did you do it on a weekend (or does it take place on weekends)?

Thanks again,
Mike

aw65
23-02-2006, 08:11 PM
How do I contact the person who runs the course?

marcus
24-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Bill Corten Ph. 07 31207429 (BH)

Tunzafun
24-02-2006, 08:58 PM
This sounds like money well spent. Thanks for the info Marcus; Bill you got another call coming.

Ross

kowalski
16-03-2007, 08:09 PM
g'day marcus sounds like a greatcourse at the right price how many people on the boat during the bar crossing cheers kowalski

seatime
16-03-2007, 09:30 PM
VMR Southport do a great theory course on bar crossings and you can have runs out in their boats. Tonnes and tonnes of experience going back to before the Seaway was built, and a lot less than $360.

charleville
16-03-2007, 11:40 PM
I did Bill's course last year. It was a phenomenal experience.

We had four on board doing the training - three from my workplace and one "stranger".

Worth every cent.

You do things like drive Bill's boat on the back on a wave to sneak in when there is not much water depth - I always thought that this would be tricky to do but Bill shows you that it is as easy as...

All of us were on a high for weeks after that experience.

It was on a Saturday for us.

honda900
17-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Ive booked mine for next wed / thurs, really looking forward to it.. although nervous at the same time. :-/

Bill advised that the new cost for the course will be $400.00 and yes he runs them on weekends, however you have to book a long time in advance. He also mentioned that he is going full time with it in october.

Regards
Honda